Operation: Lighter Mountain Hunt Kit

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I went on two goat hunts in 2020, a 3-day and a 4-day. I really loved the experience, but also realized that I need to trim my kit if I want to cover more ground in the alpine. So, over the past few months I've replaced a bunch of my gear. My rule was any new gear must work as well or *better* than what I already had, while also trimming weight. I think the results so far are pretty good: 6.6 lbs cut off my back. I've also cut about 6lbs off myself in that time, should be able lose some more, and keep it off for next season. I have some home-made food ideas I'm trying out now too. That should be lighter than some of the packaged freeze dried things I was using.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 1.40.59 PM.png

Some photos from the 2 hunts. Same tag and location for both outings. This was a walk-in DIY hunt in The Chugach Mountains. We started walking at sea level, lots of vert. My wife was the tag holder, I got to go along for support. We saw several good goats, but the weather closed in every time we went to close the distance, so we never got a shot off. Oh well, it was still awesome.

Goat_Hunt_Sony-2-10.jpeg

Goat_Hunt_Sony-2-8.jpeg

IMG_1460.jpeg

pano-2.jpg

Whats your opinion of the performance of the outdoor edge saw against the silky?

Great work on cutting out so much weight, I also ditched my MSR hubba hubba, great solid tent but pretty dang heavy.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I'll report back when I do a decent side-by-side test of the saws.
I'll try cutting up forearm-sized alder, as that's what I use to build backcountry meat hanging racks while processing an animal.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Also interested in the outdoor edge performance.

The little Outdoor Edge Saw worked "well enough". I haven't used it on any wood yet, but did cut some bone while butchering animals this Fall. It got through, but not quickly, and I worry it might dull quickly too....but that's speculation.
It is *very light*. And it hasn't rusted, despite being put away dirty.
I will continue to carry it, and would buy another if I lost it.

When I'm going out clearing alder across trails in the mountains, I will continue to carry a Corona and/or SIlky saw. Or, if I was hunting via mules/motor I'd carry the silky for sure.

Bighorse

WKR
I'll share my experience as a bigger backcountry hunting athlete. I'm 240lbs and have dropped down to an occasional 225. I spent my youth as a triathlete and mt bike racer and was successful at times. As I aged, I took that endurance base and started climbing goat hills. I've killed lots of them. Here's a little of my perspective.

When I was younger the loads would feel like I was being broken. As I aged the loads became a part of me. I focused on stability and the feel of my movements. I never expected fast. My friends call it "tractor mode". Here's the thing about tractor mode.....I will rest less and on day number four I will still be stable and maintaining forward motion. Once you learn to settle into the effort and accept the fact your real goal is to get maximally heavy then you can relax on your gear choices. I purchase light gear not to go light but to add comfort to my kit. I will use the dry bags to protect equipment. I will put a small extra lamp into my kit. I will buy the larger Titanium stove. I will carry two blocks of cheese vs one. I will carry two lightweight shelters. I will have two or larger sleeping pads. I will have the bigger objective spotter. On down the line......once your core gear is light, you can go heavy.

Make tactical decisions too. In other words, an 8 hour approach is huge. Measure things based on time in the mountains. Effort is effort...up down sideways, time on your feet is time on your feet. Now add more weight and add 25% more time on the return trip.

My point and I'm sure you've considered and experienced much of what I've typed is, don't be a pansy! Mountains don't care, I don't care, the game sure as hell wants you to fail. So don't fail. Be harder and smarter than your prey. Then lighten your gear when possible, so you can add more creature comforts that give you a tactical advantage and keep you comfortable in the field.

PS, when it's cold and icy......going light is impossible. More food, more layers, more fuel, more!
Cheers

Last edited:

tpliura

FNG
I'll share my experience as a bigger backcountry hunting athlete. I'm 240lbs and have dropped down to an occasional 225. I spent my youth as a triathlete and mt bike racer and was successful at times. As I aged, I took that endurance base and started climbing goat hills. I've killed lots of them. Here's a little of my perspective.

When I was younger the loads would feel like I was being broken. As I aged the loads became a part of me. I focused on stability and the feel of my movements. I never expected fast. My friends call it "tractor mode". Here's the thing about tractor mode.....I will rest less and on day number four I will still be stable and maintaining forward motion. Once you learn to settle into the effort and accept the fact your real goal is to get maximally heavy then you can relax on your gear choices. I purchase light gear not to go light but to add comfort to my kit. I will use the dry bags to protect equipment. I will put a small extra lamp into my kit. I will buy the larger Titanium stove. I will carry two blocks of cheese vs one. I will carry two lightweight shelters. I will have two or larger sleeping pads. I will have the bigger objective spotter. On down the line......once your core gear is light, you can go heavy.

Make tactical decisions too. In other words, an 8 hour approach is huge. Measure things based on time in the mountains. Effort is effort...up down sideways, time on your feet is time on your feet. Now add more weight and add 25% more time on the return trip.

My point and I'm sure you've considered and experienced much of what I've typed is, don't be a pansy! Mountains don't care, I don't care, the game sure as hell wants you to fail. So don't fail. Be harder and smarter than your prey. Then lighten your gear when possible, so you can add more creature comforts that give you a tactical advantage and keep you comfortable in the field.

PS, when it's cold and icy......going light is impossible. More food, more layers, more fuel, more!
Cheers
I stumbled on this site and your information. I am interested in communicating with you about hunting for black bears on Kuiu Island....my name is Tom [email protected]

Bighorse

WKR
Hi Tom, sure thing. I’ve hunted lots of black bears all over SE AK. Use the Messaging system here and we can chat.

tpliura

FNG
Hi Tom, sure thing. I’ve hunted lots of black bears all over SE AK. Use the Messaging system here and we can chat.
I was not sure how to use the messaging system, but I will give it a try....is this the correct way to respond?

tpliura

FNG
I will be 64 years old Nov. 12.... I bow hunted for black bear on Kuiu Island in May, 1994.... we had a transporter Pacific Wing air charter drop us off and we hunted a week.......saw a lot of bear....two of us were bow hunting and one guy used rifle....he shot a nice black bear....the bow hunters had chances but struck out....

The charter company basically dropped us off on the beach and then came back and picked us up a week later....it rained a lot...great time....we had a wall tent and wood stove....

My youngest son will be 21 in March...he wants to go on an Alaskan black bear hunt....it seems Kuiu is a great spot to go....it is my understanding that it is all draw only for Kuiu Island now....Pacific Wing went out of business during the pandemic....I am looking for information on the prospect of hiring a transporter like Pacific Wing to drop us off....Is this type of thing still doable on Kuiu Island......

Bighorse

WKR
It's fine my older friend...what you've done is technically considered "Hijacking" a thread. :) It's all good and Holmes I hope you don't mind too much. I'll keep in brief or in keeping with the thread, light. Hehehe
Yes, you can hire an air charter out of Sitka, or Ketchikan without too much trouble. They are expensive and many do not outfit your camp, so you'll have to travel with or find a way to rent gear. You are correct you'll need a tag drawn to hunt both POW and Kuiu. My preference is POW but really any big island in SE AK is bound to have a bear or two outside the ABC's.. That's really neat your working to hunt like this with your son! Best wishes and select light gear for your plane ride. All this backpacking gear also benefits anyone flying a light float plane.

tpliura

FNG
It's fine my older friend...what you've done is technically considered "Hijacking" a thread. :) It's all good and Holmes I hope you don't mind too much. I'll keep in brief or in keeping with the thread, light. Hehehe
Yes, you can hire an air charter out of Sitka, or Ketchikan without too much trouble. They are expensive and many do not outfit your camp, so you'll have to travel with or find a way to rent gear. You are correct you'll need a tag drawn to hunt both POW and Kuiu. My preference is POW but really any big island in SE AK is bound to have a bear or two outside the ABC's.. That's really neat your working to hunt like this with your son! Best wishes and select light gear for your plane ride. All this backpacking gear also benefits anyone flying a light float plane.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Whats your opinion of the performance of the outdoor edge saw against the silky?

Used the Outdoor Edge saw again on recent caribou hunt. It has officially gotten dull, after just a few uses on bone in the last 2 seasons. I'm guessing the fur caught in the blade while cutting a skull really did a job on it. As I suspected it is not a "high quality" saw, but at 2.5oz it's really hard to argue with it.
It is a ~$22 consumable good, not a longer term investment. If you're looking for the *lightest* saw for backpack hunting, this is it, with all the usual tradeoffs of super-lightweight stuff.

I also had my Opinel No.12 saw back at camp. That blade is much higher quality, and the longer length made cutting wood for a meat drying rack and for a fire very easy. The blade is very thin though, so it buckles easily if the cut channel pinches. At 5oz the Opinel is still lighter than most others (silky/etc), but not so much as to make it a clear choice.

After cutting ribs and skull capping my moose this year, I decided that the silky boy saws are a weight penalty I am willing to accept. Trying to cap a larger animal with a sub par saw SUCKS lol.

bober90

FNG
Curious about your thoughts on the Triplex. Specifically with ease of pitching and performance in any heavy weather. Also, do you feel it's big enough for 3 + gear? Or would it be too tight? The vestibule doesn't seem that big from what I've seen.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Curious about your thoughts on the Triplex. Specifically with ease of pitching and performance in any heavy weather. Also, do you feel it's big enough for 3 + gear? Or would it be too tight? The vestibule doesn't seem that big from what I've seen.

I did a separate write up on the Triplex here: