7 Day Spring Bear Hunt Pack List

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I'd appreciate any feedback y'all have. I definitely pack some comfort items, but welcome your feedback anyway. The rifle is far, far heavier than I would like but i've made it work. I do have parts on order for a 6.5PRC in a HNT26 chassis, I should have it completed in time to make this hunt and expect it to come in around 8.5 lb range. This hunt will likely be a Frank Church hunt again, we had a blast last year. I'll be taking 7 days of food, so an additional 11.5 lbs will be packed in unless we change plans some.

Base pack weight = 41.34
Pack + food + rifle = 53lbs

Dang… the prices column is sombering.
Yikes. Looking at the cost though, the Equinox Guard hoodie has an extra digit. The whole kit is only $15,000 now. 👀

I guess that explains where my extra money has gone lately cause my set up is similar and I hate to admit that.

If it were me, I’d cut out the air pump and helinox chair to start

I would drop the crocs/helinox/pillow/air pump. That’s 2lbs. I would also drop one of the battery banks, another pound. All in all pretty dialed, everyone’s comfort level is different.

Legend

WKR
Hey guys,

I'd appreciate any feedback y'all have. I definitely pack some comfort items, but welcome your feedback anyway. The rifle is far, far heavier than I would like but i've made it work. I do have parts on order for a 6.5PRC in a HNT26 chassis, I should have it completed in time to make this hunt and expect it to come in around 8.5 lb range. This hunt will likely be a Frank Church hunt again, we had a blast last year. I'll be taking 7 days of food, so an additional 11.5 lbs will be packed in unless we change plans some.

Base pack weight = 41.34
Pack + food + rifle = 53lbs

Damn....$1,400 for a Sitka hoodie. Inflation is getting out of control!

You really shouldn't put such an organized price list together as some of us prefer to not know what we have spent.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I’d question is the 2 battery packs. That’s only if you’re not relying on the phone to provide some movie entertainment in camp. For 7 days I’d rather go heavy.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
The new flextail 1.2 pump weighs 2.05oz with battery and pad attachment. Save 3.5oz. Or ditch it all together.

2x26kmah battery packs seems like a ton for 7 days, 34oz for both of them, unless you plan on digiscoping all day. I have a 20kmah anker that's 11.9oz, and a 10k that's 6.4oz. I got by pretty easily with just the 10k for 8 days, but that was no digiscoping, so just keeping the phone topped up for photos and nav, and the headlamp once or twice through the trip. Next time I'll pack the 20k with plans for some digiscoping. Even 2x20k banks would save 11oz.

I have a set of Anker bluetooth headphones that weigh 0.85oz, and would be a much easier financial pill to swallow if something happened to them in the field vs airpods. Haven't brought them along yet, but I might for some audio books. Save 3oz.

The chair is an easy and obvious one, but to each their own. You've got the z seat as well.

4oz for toothbrush seems heavy? My brush and a pretty full travel size tube of toothpaste weigh 1.45oz combined.

I think you could pretty easily shave at least a pound while keeping the chair, mostly dependant on the battery bank situation. The rest is small stuff here and there.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Looks pretty dialed in! The clothing price was crazy, even crazier after I noticed that amongst all the high end clothing was the $20 wrangler outdoor pants lol 😆
Dude those $20 outdoor pants just freaking work. I dunno what to tell you lol.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Damn....$1,400 for a Sitka hoodie. Inflation is getting out of control!

You really shouldn't put such an organized price list together as some of us prefer to not know what we have spent.

LoL. I didnt' notice that typo.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I’d question is the 2 battery packs. That’s only if you’re not relying on the phone to provide some movie entertainment in camp. For 7 days I’d rather go heavy.
I usually either take two batteries or a battery and a solar panel. It just depends. I don't really have any other excuse than I haaaate worrying about managing power in the back country.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
The new flextail 1.2 pump weighs 2.05oz with battery and pad attachment. Save 3.5oz. Or ditch it all together.

2x26kmah battery packs seems like a ton for 7 days, 34oz for both of them, unless you plan on digiscoping all day. I have a 20kmah anker that's 11.9oz, and a 10k that's 6.4oz. I got by pretty easily with just the 10k for 8 days, but that was no digiscoping, so just keeping the phone topped up for photos and nav, and the headlamp once or twice through the trip. Next time I'll pack the 20k with plans for some digiscoping. Even 2x20k banks would save 11oz.

I have a set of Anker bluetooth headphones that weigh 0.85oz, and would be a much easier financial pill to swallow if something happened to them in the field vs airpods. Haven't brought them along yet, but I might for some audio books. Save 3oz.

The chair is an easy and obvious one, but to each their own. You've got the z seat as well.

4oz for toothbrush seems heavy? My brush and a pretty full travel size tube of toothpaste weigh 1.45oz combined.

I think you could pretty easily shave at least a pound while keeping the chair, mostly dependant on the battery bank situation. The rest is small stuff here and there.
Good info, thank you! I need to check out the new pump, that thing is too handy to leave behind. I agree with you on the batteries, but I get anxiety worrying about managing power back there so I just deal with it.

The chair is for glassing more than anything else. I have pretty rough back issues from military days, so it saves me quite a bit of pain for extended sits. Necessary evil. The Z seat usually stays behind, but i'll take it if it's snow or wet as a little mat for getting in and out of the tent.

I'll go back and check my wisps and see what they weigh.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Don't get too wrapped up in the pricing, I think most people are in the same boat as me and rarely pay full retail. I took pricing directly from the website so people can have something to reference if they are building a kit up - but most of the stuff I bought at some sort of discount or on sale. I probably paid somewhere around 15-20% less than advertized all together.

CMF

WKR
Are you actually weighing items? Your kill kit seems heavy, mine is nearly identical and weighs 0.98lbs.
It could be mine that's off, I don't remember the last time I weighed it.
Any luck in the Church last year?
Me and my daughter went on a hunt there last year, but didn't see a bear. Only saw two cross the road the time we were in Idaho. We hunted at the end of June.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Are you actually weighing items? Your kill kit seems heavy, mine is nearly identical and weighs 0.98lbs.
It could be mine that's off, I don't remember the last time I weighed it.
Any luck in the Church last year?
Me and my daughter went on a hunt there last year, but didn't see a bear. Only saw two cross the road the time we were in Idaho. We hunted at the end of June.
I did, yessir. It’s been a while since I weighed though, I probably should go back through my backpack this spring. I also just got a new scale.

We got one bear between us, but it was SUPER hard hunting. We were there in May, I think we were late. I’m curious how it will play out this year with the lack of snow around there.