Opening day success - no longer an archery elk virgin

6t4nova

WKR
Pics and story to come. Have to eat my backstrap first :)

A186E229-40B7-4D25-8F98-94F367501701-922-0000008825E54E96_zps903e1801.jpg

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Oh man that was good! Back to the story…

This was the first year I was actually able to dedicate some time for elk hunting. Last year, my wife was 7 months pregnant during the season, so I didn’t get to hunt much… weekends only really which were all unsuccessful. I spent several weekends this summer scouting and had a pretty good pattern on the elk.

I told myself this would be the year and I planned on being out for 10 days while my wife and daughter went to stay with her parents. Friday I dropped them off at the airport and started towards the spot I would be hunting (5 hours away). I get about an hour away from my house and am stuck in traffic due to construction on I-70 and realize I forgot my calls, binoculars, and rangefinder… DOH!! Not good, so I turn around and head back home. I finally leave my house at 8 pm and start the drive all over again. Red Bull’s are your friend at this point!

I arrive at the place I park my truck and it’s 1 am Saturday morning… I was wiped out! I decided to sleep until 5:30 and start hiking early in the morning. There is 1.5 miles of 2 track road that are too rough for a truck, but quads are another story… around 5:45 I hear several of them flying down the trail loud as can be! Not good I thought. Oh well, it is what it is and I know they can only go so far and cannot ride towards where I would be hunting.

I arrive at the point where I have to bushwhack to get anywhere and start glassing at around 6:15. I quickly spotted some elk feeding on a ridge that’s 2 miles away… down one valley and up another. I decided what the heck, I might as well make a move on them… I stopped and took a picture when I was about a mile out still.

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
During my time heading towards the ridge, I walked through an Aspen stand that was covered in wallows and rubs. It looked great and I could even hear a few bulls bugling in there. I never saw them though… bummer. I got to the ridge, a little tired, but none the less, I made it! And the elk were still there! Win win I thought. The thermals by this time were coming uphill, so I slowly walked above where they were feeding and started making my move. I had a cow chirping when I was stalking up on them and I started to chirp back. I knew she would come looking, so I ran up about 40 yards and waited. Well, she must have saw me through the brush, as next thing I knew she and the others took off back down the ridge towards the bedding area! Strike one for stalks….

Since they busted out without smelling me, I knew I would be okay and I started doing a little scouting around up there. I was able to find an area where they cross the ridge over into the next basin that was full of Aspens. It was too thick to hunt, so I decided to hike down to a lake I could see and set up camp where I could glass that hillside they were on. Temps during mid-day were outrageous! Even laying around in my skivvies didn’t help!

Around 4 pm I decided I would go sit a waterhole nearby as I figured they would be watering. Sure enough, around 4:15 I hear some stick breaking coming towards the water hole. The wind was perfect, still going uphill and they were coming in from below. At around 90 yards from the water hole, I see some cows, a spike, and smallish 5x5. For some unknown reason, they spooked off but didn’t go far. I quickly got my heads up cow decoy out and positioned it in some brush. I started a lost cow call and they responded and were coming back! Great, this was my opportunity I thought! Well, as mountain thermals would have it, the wind shifted when they were 60 yards out and it wasn’t good! It sounded like the woods exploded!! I swear they must have taken some trees out when they winded me. I was pretty bummed as they spooked hard and I figured they were long gone… Strike 2.

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Sitting around sulking and planning on going to another area, I decided I should go ahead and glass some to see if there was anything still around. As luck would have it, I glassed up a lone cow on that same ridge from this morning!! Things were looking up. I decided I better hurry and make a move, as the winds were great, flowing down which allowed for a great approach. I hastily made my way to where I thought I could pop over a small hill and be right on top of the cow. Well, as luck would have it, when I popped up over the ridge, I was busted as she was no more than 10 yards from where I came up…. Off she went…. Strike 3.

Figuring that since the lost cow call worked earlier, I started calling and she stopped. However she decided to move on. Much to my surprise, I heard some cows responding to my call towards my right and on top of the ridge. Game on! I hid behind a small bush and got the decoy out again, as the cows and small bull were looking my way. I continued my lost cow calls and flashed the decoy every so often. I could tell it got their attention, as the bull and a few cows turned and headed my way. I lost sight of them in the brush but could see others up top still. All of a sudden, I see a cow pop up not 10 yards from the bush I was behind!! My heart about jumped out of my chest.

The bad thing was she had me pinned and was staring a hole through me. The good thing was I already had my release attached and arrow knocked! I could tell she was going to bust out at any minute, so I told myself it’s now or never! I slowly pulled back while being concealed by the bush and came to full draw.

Off she went when she saw me move! I quickly chirped as she was running away and she stopped quartering away from me. I didn’t know the yardage, but as soon as she stopped, instincts took over and the arrow was on its way! Good thing I picked the right yardage! Haha. It was a blur really, but I was stoked to see the hot pink fletchings enter and give a good thud! She took off through the brush and I watched where she went until I couldn’t see anymore. After the shakes stopped and I gained my composure, I decided I better wait 30 minutes before I went looking. Not 5 minutes into my wait, this little guy decided to see what was going on…

Last edited:
OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
30 minutes seems like an eternity where you are waiting! Anyhow, I went to where she was standing and started looking for my arrow. I found it in the brush not far behind where she was standing. The blood looked great and I was feeling really good about my shot. My hopes quickly diminished when I couldn’t find any blood! I started following a trail and walked about 40 yards from where she was standing when I shot and when I turned the corner there she was! Excitement over came me as I finally killed an elk with my bow! It was around 6:45 when I walked upon her. Time to get out my tag and notch everything. Knowing that it was going to get dark soon, I took some pictures real quick and then started breaking her down. The arrow entered just in front of the rear quarter and blew through the opposite shoulder. Her body cavity filled with blood and intestines blocked the entrance hole, hence the lack of blood. I do have to say though, ramcats do some great damage!

As hot as it had been, I wanted to debone her and get the meat hung quickly. I finished deboning and bagging her into my new BOMB bags at around 9:15 pm. I was pretty tired by this point and wanted to get back to camp. I decided to put all the boned out meat in my pack and start towards camp… WHOA that was a heavy load! I large deboned cow will give you one heck of a workout. It was a true test for my bikini highcamp, but it performed flawlessly. Camp was about .5 miles from where I shot her, and I finally made it back to camp around 10:45. I was one tired dude… did I ever say how heavy a boned out cow is!! Haha. I hung the bags in a nearby tree and finally climbed into my sleeping bag at 12 am. I was too tired to eat and just wanted to go to bed.

As luck would have it, it cooled off pretty good Saturday night and also rained the whole night. It worked out really well for cooling off all the meat. I slept like a rock and felt good when I woke up at 8 am to start the pack out. I knew the meat would stay cool even though it was hot, as it would be in the shade all morning. I loaded half my camp and half of the cow into my pack and began the 3.5 mile trek to the truck…. Holy crap, going uphill the whole way with half a boned out cow and camp is one heck of a workout! I had to make several stops to sit and rest for a minute. I have no clue how much my pack weighed, but I had to sit down to get it on as I couldn’t lift it and put it on…. Haha!

I finished all my packing 6 hours later (2 loads), and had a quick bite to eat before I headed out. I was beat and the a/c in the truck never felt so good! Taking out a cow and camp in 2 loads was a little on the heavy side, but it was well worth it. After getting back to the truck, I saw the two guys on the quads from earlier in the morning, and they hadn’t seen anything and told me I was nuts for walking in and hunting solo! I just laughed and thought to myself, you will never see anything if you don’t get off your quads…

That’s my 2013 elk hunting success story.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Great writeup ! Thanks ! Super cool that you were in elk just about start to finish. A little scouting and hiking paid off.

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Great writeup ! Thanks ! Super cool that you were in elk just about start to finish. A little scouting and hiking paid off.

Yeah for sure. It was nice to be able to find them that quick and know where they hung out. Also helped that they hadn't been pressured yet. Boot leather definitely paid off! I still have an either sex tag and plan on going back later in the season. Hoping to locate some of the larger bulls I saw this summer. They were nowhere to be found yesterday.

Wanted to get home and process all the meat ASAP, as it's been really hot here. Plan on spending all day tomorrow processing everything.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome hunt and great write up. Congratulations for going beyond the crowds solo and getting it done.

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Man thats great man. Great hunt and it just goes to show that the scouting can pay off. Plus its a lot of fun getting out there and learning the country. What call did you use? Just reed?

Yup, only a reed call. Mellow Yellow Mama to be exact.

KHNC

WKR
Congrats on your elk! Great story

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2