Early September vs Late September Archery

Very much toss up. I have had rut fests on damn near sep 1, and had first 3 weeks be silent.

Have heard a few theories on weather effecting estrus. Bad previous winter, dry spring/summer, hot fall all factors that could effect cow health and feed condition negatively, causing rut to be late. Mild previous winter, wet spring/summer, cold fall causing it to be early.

A few factors that could compound either way, and my experience doesn't proof them out to be total fact either.

But the main factor is simple, sometimes your in em, sometimes your just not.

As a novice I hope to increase my odds by being in CO mountains most if not all of Sept.
That may not even work. Spent most of September there and never heard a confirmed bugle. Glassed one smaller bull and saw a couple of spikes. Seemed to be an off year in the unit I was in. Spoke with a Bammer who has hunted the unit for the last 20+ years and stated he hadn’t heard a bugle either. My first year out and it appears to be a guessing game.

That was a very interesting thread.
I can confirm that last week of September 2023 archery season was very hot, and it was full moon (Sept 29), and the rut seemed dead. Apparently the previous weeks (especially around mid September) had been good (from what I was told by local guides and hunters), with colder nights, cooler days and elk bugling. I hunted the last week of the season 2023.

In September 2022, I was there in early September (hunted from Sept 6-12), and it was very hot too, and I also got the full moon (Sept 10, 2022). There was no bugling until the last 2 days of my hunt (heard the first bugle on the 10th I think). We didn't see any elk during the 6 first days of my 7 days hunt, and we saw our first elk (a group of 5 bulls) on the very last morning.

This year, I will be in Colorado again in early September (Sept 4-10). It might be hot again, impossible to predict.
For the first time I will avoid the full moon (Sept 18, 2024).

I asked some locals what affected the most the rut, the heat or the full moon, and most said that the heat was worse than a full moon.

TShunts

FNG
If you can spend some time pre season scouting and you can have a plan opening day that’s always a good option. But it’s also great towards the end as you have the chance to find more vocal elk. Of course it all comes down to pressure. Good luck!

Idaboy

WKR
If you’re going to be in the woods all day don’t be intimated by that moon. I’ve shot, or should have shot, a lot of bulls during midday with that moon cycle.
Agree, while I've planned and followed conventional wisdom around moon stuff, I've actually probably had gotten into more elk on full moon times...seems like daytime temp early season is more predictive of elk activity than moon or date, but just from my limited observations....my group has killed more elk in the third week, but we tend to hunt 2rd and 3rd week Sept most often....I've had some real Crazy bulging frenzies in the first week of Sept, 75-80 degrees in the mountains is just too damn hot sometimes though

bodhi406

FNG
New guy to the forum. I hunted Colorado for two years and had great action in the first two weeks of the season.

DeePow

FNG
Keep in mind nearly everyone has referenced anecdotal evidence - which is also what I have to offer except for the fact the estrus cycle is closely correlated to day light. Temperatures have nothing to do with it and while they may be less active, bulls will chase if they smell a cow coming into heat.

I’ve found the full moon to be hit and miss. It irritates me because if it’s clear out, they feed through the night since it’s cooler and they can see clear as day. This past year I was solo camping and had a bull come and rake on the edge of a clearing 47 yards away at 3 AM. I was able to peer my head out underneath my teepee and could see clear definition.

Just choose a time and go. It will be an absolute blast. On The Hunt Backcountry podcast they brought up a good point a few weeks ago, make a choice and go full send. Don’t look for people to justify or sway your decision, just do what you can to give yourself the best opportunity for success.

Walthers

FNG
Hard to tell for sure. I have my fingers crossed to cash in on my 11 Wyoming points this year for the reasons you can read in many threads here. With that said, my plan is to hunt the first 8 days and if I can’t get it done then I will go the last 8 days of the month. For what it’s worth.

Hard to pass up the out of the gate time, but I feel like a lot of people put their eggs in that basket then once the month is coming to an end less pressure. Plus, possibly more weather.

Since you are coming in from out of state, I'd wait until the last possible minute to lock in your dates and then, once you do, don't worry about it and hit it hard. Look at the lunar calendar, historic weather data, snowpack, rainfall, fires (both in the unit and nearby), etc. and pick the time that looks best for you. A lot can change quickly here in CO - particularly over one summer. Also keep in mind the overlap with muzzleloader. Some units I've hunted can see a significant uptick in other hunters and vehicles during this week, others not so much. I rarely hear any actual banging though. We've been in bugling elk any time of the season but my preference is always the later half of the season. Opening weekend is always super hot and tons of non-hunters in the woods. Every year I say "I'm not going out opening weekend for elk" and yet every year I'm out there sweating my nuts off.