One rifle to do it all

Encore4me

FNG
Wanting to get a new rifle to hunt all of North America (excluding the bigger bears) you know “beware of the hunter with one gun”. Well I have been thinking along about one of the 300 mags but recently thinking a good 30-06 would be just fine. Help me decide.
Around $2000, less would better. It has to be left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't exist. In my mind, the closest would be an ultralight 308. The 300 mags and 30-06 are too powerful for nearly all hunting situations and require a heavier rifle. You end up carrying unnecessary weight, spending extra money, and avoiding range time just because you want a caliber to be able to shoot an elk at 600y. You won't see the benefit of the extra power unless you're putting in a lot of range time, and you won't put in a lot of range time because the ammo is too expensive and your shoulder hates you.

You end up sacrificing accuracy and familiarity with your rifle (which helps you with all shots) for a theoretical benefit in 5% of the shots.

Jhy

FNG
I went from 30.06 to 308 last year and no regrets. First reason was rifle availability in Left Hand bolt action. The bigger reason was ammunition availability and selection. Far more 308 options on the shelf everywhere I went. I’ve scaled back on bullet weight since mine liked the 130 grain Barnes which makes the rifle an absolute pleasure to shoot compared to the 180 grains I was shooting from my 30.06. I would have no problem taking this gun on larger than deer game within reason, probably just step up to the 150 grain mono.

Go hit a few stores and fondle as many rifles as you can. Eliminate any that do not shoulder well for you. Write down the models that fit you and then eliminate ones that do not come in a left hand version.

Do you hand-load or will you rely solely upon commercial ammo? If commercial only, eliminate boutique cartridges from consideration. How far are you wanting to kill an animal? Any ammo restrictions such as no-lead? You get the idea.

For the remaining, eliminate any that do not meet other requirements that you may have (ex: under 8 pounds, stainless barrel, items from previous paragraph, ...).

---
I'll toss this out. Consider grabbing a $750-$1000 rifle in your cartridge of choice and ideally the same rifle in a 223 for extended range sessions. It's potentially easier on the shoulder and wallet to practice fundamentals, distance, wind, etc.

fishslap

WKR
I went with a tikka t3x lite lefty in 7mm rem mag for this same scenario. 270 win, 30-06, or 300 win mag would be other options, with only the last one having some recoil considerations (I won’t shoot a brakes gun and hate sitting next to them at the range).

For $2k...308/30-06/7mm or any of your 300's. 7mm-08 comes to mind too. Stainless steel, synthetic stock, vx5 3x15x44 up top. I don't think you can go wrong in really any of the browning, bergara, winchester, tikka, etc. If you turn into the one gun guy, you likely could use that for larger bears too. I never hunted larger bears however if I ever do, my one gun in 06' is coming with me. Learn the gun, know the limits.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

You don’t need a magnum to kill everything but big bears. Even big bears you don’t need a magnum.

Any standard 6.5-30 cal will work just fine and 6mm’s can to with well placed shots. I would always go with something you can comfortably shoot, can afford to shoot (meaning buy enough ammo to actually practice regularly), and has common ammo availability. 6.5 Creedmoor, 270, 308, 30-06 are all excellent choices. 7MM rem mag is a good choice too, it’s a magnum but recoil isn’t any worse than 270 or 30-06, and ammo is very available and not ridiculously expensive.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
This is a very personal choice so ultimately you’ll have to choose the best rifle-cartridge combo for you! I was in your exact position 1 year ago and decided on a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm Rem Mag. Couldn’t be happier with my choice on rifle and cartridge. Rifle shoots beautifully, 7mm Rem Mag has plenty of ammo options on the shelf, and I feel .284” projectiles are the perfect sweet spot for all North American game.

Best of luck with your search! Make sure you show off that sweet new rig on the boards when you make your decision.

- RadDad

EdP

WKR
As you get older, and maybe want to hunt in the mtns, you may come to appreciate having more options than one rifle suited to the larger game will afford (lighter options specifically). For now, if I were going your route, I would look hard at the 7mm PRC, but only because I handload. With lower power loads, those in the 7mm-08 class, shooting a lot should easy on the shoulder and those loads are perfectly suited for deer, pronghorn, and black bear. For larger game you have the option to step up to slightly beyond 7mm Rem Mag velocities with heavy for caliber bullets. If I did not handload or intend to in the future, the 30-06 would be my choice.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
One rifle for everything for me it would be hard to beat 7mm-08 for a cartridge. Weatherby mark V hunter if you don’t want to mess with/upgrade anything. Tikka T3X Hunter I think they make lefty in 7mm-08 if you want the option to change things easier down the road. Other options that are in the same ballpark is 6.5creedmoor or .270win that have Lefty options also.

B23

WKR
Something chambered in either 300 WSM or the new 7 PRC shooting the heavier bullets will make for a very good do all one gun setup.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
.270 win

Same trajectory as a 6.5 PRC within any sane hunting distance, except the bullet is a little bigger, rifle options and ammo availability are significantly better

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
While a 6.5 will do it... it simply isn't a legal caliber in many places for larger game animals like bison and moose.