One Rifle to do it all Or a rifle for each occasion?

I have two hunting rifles, a semi-customized R700 in 300WM and a R700 ADL Varmint in 308Win. I primarily use the 300Win for my deer hunting, haven't been fortunate enough to take a black bear yet. For some reason when I take the 308 out, i see no game at all.:unsure:

I stupidly sold a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, so now I am on the hunt for another 45-70.
Ruger is pushing out the 1895 SBL. That would be a fine replacement. My GG (REMLIN) is currently out of commission with a cracked stock that needs replacing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I have a 25-06 and 30-06. Now that I’m getting a suppressor I think I’m going to end up selling those to build a .300wsm to do it all. I’ll probably end up buying a backup rifle at some point tho

I should’ve quit when I discovered what the .270 Win is capable of. I told myself I was going to have just one rifle and now I’m down to 4 .270’s, 2 30/06’s, 6 6.5 CM’s, 3 7x57’s, 1 6.5x55, 2 9.3x62’s, 2 30/30’s and a 375 Ruger.
Believe it or not, I’ve made great strides toward my one gun goal.

I should’ve quit when I discovered what the .270 Win is capable of. I told myself I was going to have just one rifle and now I’m down to 4 .270’s, 2 30/06’s, 6 6.5 CM’s, 3 7x57’s, 1 6.5x55, 2 9.3x62’s, 2 30/30’s and a 375 Ruger.
Believe it or not, I’ve made great strides toward my one gun goal.
Sounds like a great variety, what would you put the lower/upper game limit for 7x57 and 6.5x55? Both of those are pretty neat chamberings with great histories

Last edited:
Sounds like a great variety, what would you put the lower/upper game limit for 7x57 and 6.5x55? Both of those are pretty neat chamberings with great histories

6.5X55 and 7X57 literally have no limits, up or down. They’ve been used more then any other cartridge for literally everything on earth from Fox to Elephant.
One of my early mentors hunted everything with his 6.5X55 including big bears and African big game.

6.5X55 and 7X57 literally have no limits, up or down. They’ve been used more then any other cartridge for literally everything on earth from Fox to Elephant.
One of my early mentors hunted everything with his 6.5X55 including big bears and African big game.
That is fascinating! Knowing that, which do you choose when going afield for XYZ, or is it just pick of the draw?

That is fascinating! Knowing that, which do you choose when going afield for XYZ, or is it just pick of the draw?

Some years I take a different rifle every time I hunt. This season I got hung up on my BRNO ZG47 30/06 that shoots lights out with 180 Partitions.

I haven’t finished load development with my 8 twist 270 and 165 Accubonds and 160 Partitions so that will likely be my rifle for next season.

I haven’t finished load development with my 8 twist 270 and 165 Accubonds and 160 Partitions so that will likely be my rifle for next season.

I'm working on burning the barrel on my M70 EW so I can replace the barrel with an 8 twist and also replace the fluted barrel with a standard barrel at 24-26". I love the action trigger and stock. It's just the barrel. But then again, there's the 9.3x62 that would be lovely on that action. Oh the choices.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I jumped from 10 twist to 9 twist to 8 twist and believe the optimal twist for a 270 win may be somewhere between 8.25 and 8.75 twist.
I have an 8.5 twist barrel on order as we speak.

The 9.3 x 62 is the unsung hero of versatility here in the US. I’ve met several people from Europe and Africa who are well-versed in its capabilities and select the 9.3 as they are go to for everything.

I own multiple but really only use one. If I were to do it all over again i would spend the money i spent on multiple to buy one custom do all rifle. If funds are unlimited then multiple is always the answer.
And what would that be

Sometimes I feel like I have too many which, in turn causes me to feel like I don’t have the right tool, which makes me feel like I need another.

In all reality I would be totally fine with a .22, a .308 and a 300 WM

Funny that noone included a 223 in their mix. I have a xs action Sako and this is my fav and the the most affordable to shoot alot. No real recoil so can see hits and kills anything up to deer size critters about as far as I like to shoot. And it's lightweight to boot. Obviously need a good 6.5-30 cal and rimfire to round things out. But if I had to just keep one for all around fun and hunting then it would be the 223.

Not really a new member forum/thread

Hello,

After years of wanting to hunt I have finally taken the leap into doing it. I live in CO and that is where I will be doing most of my hunting for elk and deer/antelope. I do have family in WY and Idaho and would like to eventually venture out there. I have been reading a lot and asking coworkers for advice and cant really make up my mind on what caliber to go with.

I have narrowed it down to a Bergara in either a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. I want it to be an all around rifle that can be used for elk and deer. My only concern is that with the 300 It will be overkill and potentially waste meat, my whole point of wanting to start hunting. I was originally looking at 6.5 CM and read people taking elk with it but seems to be less forgiving on errors and a smaller round for elk.

I know shot placement is key and no matter the power of the rifle, a bad shot is a bad shot. I see that they make smaller grain rounds for 300wm's for deer. Would the WM waste a bunch of meat or just depend on the shot and the ammo used? Might have the justify buying two separate rifles for different hunts.

-Mike

Not really a new member forum/thread

Hello,

After years of wanting to hunt I have finally taken the leap into doing it. I live in CO and that is where I will be doing most of my hunting for elk and deer/antelope. I do have family in WY and Idaho and would like to eventually venture out there. I have been reading a lot and asking coworkers for advice and cant really make up my mind on what caliber to go with.

I have narrowed it down to a Bergara in either a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. I want it to be an all around rifle that can be used for elk and deer. My only concern is that with the 300 It will be overkill and potentially waste meat, my whole point of wanting to start hunting. I was originally looking at 6.5 CM and read people taking elk with it but seems to be less forgiving on errors and a smaller round for elk.

I know shot placement is key and no matter the power of the rifle, a bad shot is a bad shot. I see that they make smaller grain rounds for 300wm's for deer. Would the WM waste a bunch of meat or just depend on the shot and the ammo used? Might have the justify buying two separate rifles for different hunts.

-Mike
If mostly deer and the occasional elk, I'd go 7mm. If mostly elk and the occasional deer then 300 WM. Both great choices if you only want a single do it all rifle.

I would like to think it will be 50/50 but preferably more elk than deer, but I'm not picky

I've got at least one for every species I'll ever hunt (plus a backup or two), a couple just in case I get to hunt something I never believed possible & one or two in case they ever bring back dinosaurs.
Not to say I don't have some set aside for an escape convict, zombie board, hippy takeover, alien landing or possible journey into the 18th century.
Let’s see that Ho-Ho shooter for the hippies

I jumped from 10 twist to 9 twist to 8 twist and believe the optimal twist for a 270 win may be somewhere between 8.25 and 8.75 twist.
I have an 8.5 twist barrel on order as we speak.

The 9.3 x 62 is the unsung hero of versatility here in the US. I’ve met several people from Europe and Africa who are well-versed in its capabilities and select the 9.3 as they are go to for everything.
Hey there! What bullets do you shoot out of the faster twist barrels? Does an 8 twist still shoot the lighter 130s ok? Or only heavier bullets? I’m going to be rebarreling my current tikka 270 shortly so I can have it threaded for a suppressor and trying to decide on twist rate. Likely going with a 21 or 22” barrel. Any insight on why you like or dislike a certain twist?

Back