One Copper Bullet One Kill…

Thegman

WKR
I think people confuse having “plenty of eagles” with there is no issue. Not exactly data driven.

I won’t debate for a minute there is ballistic difference at longer ranges.
Not sure if this refers to my post, but as I said "I'm still a little skeptical about how much effect lead bullets actually have on raptors (and other birds)."

Not saying there's zero effect, just questioning the magnitude of said effect.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
The wife has killed a bull elk each of the last three years with hammer hunters. All between 250-400 yards. None of the three have made it more than 50 yards and two of the three have been hit square in at least one front shoulder. I only bring up bullet placement as I process all my own game and the lack of bloodshot. Even when impacting a heavy bone has been impressive and makes cutting up the meat much more of an enjoyable task, not to mention much less meat waste.

I don't much care either way about raptors possibly or possibly not eating the gut pile that may possibly or possibly not have some amount of lead fragments in it.

I don't see a reason why her 300WSM will ever shoot anything other than copper.

Yep! Ballistic masturbation is a thing, and it’s rampant. Beware.

If you say so.

And what the hell is there to like about that post? Pretty disturbing, really, that two (I assume grown men) likening it when you use the word "masturbation"...

🤮

1000003629.jpg

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
It’s a somewhat common lighthearted metaphor, sometimes used even by adults, to poke fun at those (including me) who seemingly get off on perseverating about a topic rather than actually participating in the real activity, in this case the on-paper strengths and shortcomings of solid copper bullets. Which is how I assume the folks who liked the post understood it. Apologies if my use of the word offended you.

Last edited:

Wyo_hntr

WKR
If they ever pass a draconian law banning the use of lead projectiles for hunting, I will partake in civil disobedience.

Not going to comply.

bmart2622

WKR
You guys must be using the wrong copper bullets if you think that the terminal performance is inferior to lead.
They operate differently and thrive in different circumstances. Neither are bad or inferior just different.
So a copper bullet performs just as well at long distance and at velocities below say 2000fps?

bmart2622

WKR
That doesn't answer the question!! The answer is NO, the copper doesn't work as well, I guess if you want to call working worse as different you can

Unclecroc

Lil-Rokslider
So a copper bullet performs just as well at long distance and at velocities below say 2000fps?
Hammer bullets are rated to fully expand and shed petals to 1800 fps. Most of the cartridges I use them in they stay above minimum expansion to 600 even further in a few cases. I have used them on a deer at 465 yards and it worked flawlessly and I found the deer at the end of a good blood trail 50 yards long. “Long distance” is defined differently by each individual. To me 500 yards is my limit for taking game. They have worked flawlessly for me and plenty of others I have guided that way.

Unclecroc

Lil-Rokslider
That doesn't answer the question!! The answer is NO, the copper doesn't work as well, I guess if you want to call working worse as different you can
In what way has a copper work worse than a lead projectile for you?

handwerk

WKR
Funny, just about all I've used for the last decade or more has been Barnes TTSX & LRX's, not because I have to but I choose to. They've shot great in the many cartridges I load for and given good results on deer, antelope and elk from 5 yards to 410 yards, which is about as long as I tend to shoot.

amassi

WKR
Hammer bullets are rated to fully expand and shed petals to 1800 fps. Most of the cartridges I use them in they stay above minimum expansion to 600 even further in a few cases. I have used them on a deer at 465 yards and it worked flawlessly and I found the deer at the end of a good blood trail 50 yards long. “Long distance” is defined differently by each individual. To me 500 yards is my limit for taking game. They have worked flawlessly for me and plenty of others I have guided that way.

How does a non expanding bullet “fully expand”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk