Once again a “Influencer” is caught poaching on several hunts (Alpinecarnivore)

Poaching sheep, moose, and elk and they got a 1 year suspension? Way to make em pay guys..
Totally. A multi-agency investigation in which they apparently underwent several forensics such as DNA testing, the matching of shell casings, etc. Who knows what else or how many man hours and only $2000 fine for one guy and $4500 for the other? Pretty sure those won't even cover the cost of the investigation.

gerry35

WKR
Totally. A multi-agency investigation in which they apparently underwent several forensics such as DNA testing, the matching of shell casings, etc. Who knows what else or how many man hours and only $2000 fine for one guy and $4500 for the other? Pretty sure those won't even cover the cost of the investigation.
@stephane110 mentioned earlier in the thread they also got a $25,000 fine in Alberta so that helps. Should have been a longer suspension though and having a bigger fine would have been good too.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR

His wife received the $2000 dollar fine. He also got a $25000 fine for the charges in Alberta. Still a joke in my opinion. A sheep hunt easily costs $70,000 and up in Alberta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
This is a pretty bold statement

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I mentioned no specific companies on purpose. Some companies disassociate with these type of influencers when actions are perceived as blatant (or offenses are habitual) and some don't.

Miniscule fines and extremely short license suspensions handed down by fish and game agencies don't deter these guys from poaching/trespassing at all.

The only thing that would possibly make them stop and think twice is a reduction in income that comes from "normal folk" no longer watching their videos or purchasing their merchandise.

Miniscule fines and extremely short license suspensions handed down by fish and game agencies don't deter these guys from poaching/trespassing at all.

The only thing that would possibly make them stop and think twice is a reduction in income that comes from "normal folk" no longer watching their videos or purchasing their merchandise.
thats not the only thing. 5 years or so in a federal pound-me-in-the-ass penitentary might do the trick. 9f945cbe-4614-40b7-973c-f0f07f0e0d12_text.gif

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's rare to have fines/restituition match up with what goes into an investigation. Fortunately that's not how we're funded. I don't think a model where law enforcement agency is funded by how many fines are collected would be very popular.

I mentioned no specific companies on purpose. Some companies disassociate with these type of influencers when actions are perceived as blatant (or offenses are habitual) and some don't.

"fish game agencies" don't hand down penalties- that's the job of the judicial branch of government.

Sometimes the fines are set in statute, in that case blame the legislation and work to get it changed,

Nice to see another poacher caught. I can tell you with certainty that there is plenty of job security being a game warden- sadly.

WKR

WKR
This kind of stuff is going to keep happening over and over again. The majority of the hunting "influencers" predominantly care more about their content and views over conservation and the future of hunting. Yet people still subscribe and watch their videos.

I understand that some of them never commit violations (that we know about) and are not poachers, but even subscribing and giving the "good ones" views/sponsors does nothing but bolster the desire to produce content for the next bad one.

I wasted ten minutes watching his apology because I was curious what his charges were actually for.

This guy claims that he had been hunting for 20 years in Ontario but also says that he "didn't know that much about hunting" when he started his show and that the sheep hunt was right when he started. I'm guessing that was the August 2020 charge. He says gps digital maps didn't exist then...

He also had twice that he or another shot an animal on someone else's tag, because it's legal in Ontario...

There's a lot of dead animals on his Facebook page and he has three charges in two years, I would bet there are plenty more violations out there.

Makes me wonder if and when meat eater or remi warren or gritty etc. will ever do something like this.
Pretty sure Gritty already has.

I doubt Remi would ever.

I don't see it with MeatEater either but their empire size makes me think it is plausible.

Edited to add: The high level of curation with MeatEater also makes me think it's unlikely.

Last edited:
OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I wasted ten minutes watching his apology because I was curious what his charges were actually for.

This guy claims that he had been hunting for 20 years in Ontario but also says that he "didn't know that much about hunting" when he started his show and that the sheep hunt was right when he started. I'm guessing that was the August 2020 charge. He says gps digital maps didn't exist then...

He also had twice that he or another shot an animal on someone else's tag, because it's legal in Ontario...

There's a lot of dead animals on his Facebook page and he has three charges in two years, I would bet there are plenty more violations out there.

It’s pathetic that he says he didn’t use digital mapping but yet he is sponsored by
“I hunter” and shows him using it in a video from 2020. He is full of shit and excuses. I can only imagine what else he did but didn’t get caught for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting perspective that I did not have. I almost felt bad for the guy due to my (incorrect) perception of him. Hearing stories like this makes his 'apology' online look more and more like a page right out of the Muley Freak playbook on how to attempt to keep followers after the truth surfaces.
You would think his business would all but disappear after this. Probably unlikely......