On-press Priming

Rock-o

WKR
I have a Forster Co-ax and use it for seating primers. I'm curious how [un]common this is. I'm an infrequent, low-volume reloader so it suffices for me though I can see the speed limitation for you folks that reload more than I do.

Also, I have never used any other tool for priming so I wonder how different the feel is from my press vs a hand-held tray type device like the RCBS. If you've primed on the press and using a tray type tool I'd like to hear your comparison.

Just curious, thanks.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
Are there presses aside from the Co-ax that provide primer seating functionality?

I have a Hornady Lock N Load press. If I were to get a priming tool it would be the RCBS auto bench tool.

I had one of the dang rcbs hand primers and hated it.
You really had to watch the primers, I ended up loaded 20 primers backwards and had to use ear pro and glass to size,deprime them every one went off.
Yes my old rcbs has a priming arm.
But I definitely will get a bench mounted rcbs primer.

VernAK

WKR
I have two types of hand primer tools including the Forster but I much prefer to use the primer tool that's on the top of my Forster press even though it's slow. I feel I get a much more consistent job.

rayporter

WKR
hand prime in a separate operation. i have 2 lees and a 21st century hand primer, all have a tray. i am a little surprised so many still use the press.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Usually hand prime, but I will use the priming arm on the single stage press for small quantities where I don't want to change how my hand primer is set up.

rayporter

WKR
there is a thread going now on loose primer pockets that is the best reason for a hand tool. you can feel that primer go in and hit bottom and if the pocket is loose the primer will just drop in with no effort. when that happens they are subject to fall out at inopportune times.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
there is a thread going now on loose primer pockets that is the best reason for a hand tool. you can feel that primer go in and hit bottom and if the pocket is loose the primer will just drop in with no effort. when that happens they are subject to fall out at inopportune times.
I can feel the primer go in when seating on the press. The difference, my guess, is simply how much leverage one tool has vs the other. Hit bottom? Dunno. Either the primer is hitting bottom or the press arm is hitting the stop. I'm not sure since I have no basis for comparison to hand priming. Maybe you're suggesting with too much leverage a loose pocket will be less noticeable. ???

Glad you brought that up, thanks.

hand prime in a separate operation. i have 2 lees and a 21st century hand primer, all have a tray. i am a little surprised so many still use the press.

I too use the 21st Century Click Head Bench Rest Priming Tool. Wickedly precise. Each click is 0.00125".

I've heard lots of people complain about priming on the Co-Ax press, but I really like it. It's very consistent and I really like the feel. I really don't need to prime 50 or 100 rounds as fast as I can. If I was to use another method I'd probably go with the Primal Rights seater or the Forster bench primer seater. My $0.02

tdot

WKR
I have a Forster Co-ax and use it for seating primers. I'm curious how [un]common this is. I'm an infrequent, low-volume reloader so it suffices for me though I can see the speed limitation for you folks that reload more than I do.

Also, I have never used any other tool for priming so I wonder how different the feel is from my press vs a hand-held tray type device like the RCBS. If you've primed on the press and using a tray type tool I'd like to hear your comparison.

Just curious, thanks.

I was using my CoAx press for primer for awhile and was happy with the feel and speed that I could achieve. However, I started to have some inconsistent velocity issues with a new batch of ADG brass and a new primer. After measuring everything I came to realize that the CoAx press wasnt seating the primer against the bottom of the primer pocket. So the primer wasnt being compressed and was floating in the pocket. There is no way to adjust the seating depth.

I've switched to the 21st Century hand primer and it is noticeably faster which is nice, but I can also do it while I'm loading and waiting for powder to dispense, so that makes it significantly faster. Feeling is great and I definitely prefer it. I'm glad I made the switch.

I was using my CoAx press for primer for awhile and was happy with the feel and speed that I could achieve. However, I started to have some inconsistent velocity issues with a new batch of ADG brass and a new primer. After measuring everything I came to realize that the CoAx press wasnt seating the primer against the bottom of the primer pocket. So the primer wasnt being compressed and was floating in the pocket. There is no way to adjust the seating depth.

I've switched to the 21st Century hand primer and it is noticeably faster which is nice, but I can also do it while I'm loading and waiting for powder to dispense, so that makes it significantly faster. Feeling is great and I definitely prefer it. I'm glad I made the switch.
I was able to adjust the seating depth on my Co-Ax by unscrewing the primer cup/seater, then I carefully put a few wraps of teflon tape on the threads to tighten up the fit. With the right amount of teflon tape on there you can screw it down to a happy spot and it will stay put with out the threads completely bottoming out against the press. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to make the final adjustments. This should mitigate any floating primer issues.

tdot

WKR
I was able to adjust the seating depth on my Co-Ax by unscrewing the primer cup/seater, then I carefully put a few wraps of teflon tape on the threads to tighten up the fit. With the right amount of teflon tape on there you can screw it down to a happy spot and it will stay put with out the threads completely bottoming out against the press. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to make the final adjustments. This should mitigate any floating primer issues.

That's a great idea. I'd looked at using some shim stack washers of .001", but I couldnt easily source them. But to be honest the 21st Century tool is nice, that I'll never go back. But it's good to have options.

That's a great idea. I'd looked at using some shim stack washers of .001", but I couldnt easily source them. But to be honest the 21st Century tool is nice, that I'll never go back. But it's good to have options.
No doubt 21st century stuff is top shelf, if I was a fan of handheld primer seat tools that'd be the one I'd own. It really is nice to be a hand loader these days. We have so many quality options that we never had 20 years ago.

rayporter

WKR
somewhere i have seen it in print that you should achieve .002 crush of the anvil into the primer cup. with a press handle feeling the primer go in and bottom out is about all you can get. you cant feel that little extra crush that a hand primer gives. with the hand primer [ even the lee] you can really tell if the pockets are loose.

with a press you can crush the primer too much they claim. i am not sure where that point is or what the result would be.

i am pretty sure most folks are just fine with a press and will rarely , if ever, have trouble. i used a press up until the late 70's when i started to follow the accuracy crowd.

we do have a lot of choices and there are many ways to get good results. if you are getting good results that is all that matters.