On-press Priming

somewhere i have seen it in print that you should achieve .002 crush of the anvil into the primer cup. with a press handle feeling the primer go in and bottom out is about all you can get. you cant feel that little extra crush that a hand primer gives. with the hand primer [ even the lee] you can really tell if the pockets are loose.

with a press you can crush the primer too much they claim. i am not sure where that point is or what the result would be.

i am pretty sure most folks are just fine with a press and will rarely , if ever, have trouble. i used a press up until the late 70's when i started to follow the accuracy crowd.

we do have a lot of choices and there are many ways to get good results. if you are getting good results that is all that matters.
Not so with the Co-Ax. If you scrub to 8:26 you'll find your explanation there.

rayporter

WKR
yes that will work just fine. most presses will allow you to completely crush the primer completely flat.

i always wanted a co ax but i adjust the shoulder bump often and the co ax does not lend itself to a lot of die adjustments.

JRMiller

WKR
i've never found a good hand primer, tried at least five or so, returned them all. Some were and utter joke.
Have stuck with on-press priming last few years. Been happy. I load a lot but not a billion rounds at a time or anything like that. most i'll do at any one time is 100-200

Aviator

WKR
My old lee hand primer finally wore out so I’ve been on press priming for a while now, it seems to work fine for me.

wyosam

WKR
I used to prime everything on the Lee turret press, which worked pretty well, other than there wasn’t much feel to it. I just use that press for handgun now, and use that to prime. Rifle rounds I most do with the FA hand tool. Really nice feel, obvious when a pocket is getting loose. I can pretty much feel them going as they are loaded. I’ve marked those that feel a little different, but not necessarily loose, and they are typically gone in another 1-2 firings. When I feel like they are on their last one I mark them to cull after firing. I have primed on the coax, and it has good feel, but not quite as much as the hand primer. Mostly I don’t care for all the primer handling. I think its pretty much just personal preference. My gadget addiction drives most of my reloading “upgrades”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk