Older Lund Pro-V 1775 vs newer tiller boats

Moserkr

WKR
I bought a 1979 16’ starcraft, aluminum, off a friend for $1500. Redid it completely for less than $3k. Not sure how some guys can pay for a transom that costs thats much, when I bought tools and fixed 200+ rivets, and restored the whole boat…. Sounds like robbery.

The money is all in the motor, and then overall condition. IF I bought a new motor, I would still be less than half of the price of a new similar boat.

Depending on your budget, dont discount an old boat that needs a motor. Brand new motor on an old cheap boat is my preference. Changing a transom is a weekend project and less than $200. Decks another weekend maybe. A little work goes a long ways and all boats will need it eventually anyway. I know every inch of my boat now and know that it was done right, by me. Rebuilt a trailer too. Rebuilding motors now (found a spare), but if they go bad Ill just put a new one on her.

KurtR

WKR
I bought a 1979 16’ starcraft, aluminum, off a friend for $1500. Redid it completely for less than $3k. Not sure how some guys can pay for a transom that costs thats much, when I bought tools and fixed 200+ rivets, and restored the whole boat…. Sounds like robbery.

The money is all in the motor, and then overall condition. IF I bought a new motor, I would still be less than half of the price of a new similar boat.

Depending on your budget, dont discount an old boat that needs a motor. Brand new motor on an old cheap boat is my preference. Changing a transom is a weekend project and less than $200. Decks another weekend maybe. A little work goes a long ways and all boats will need it eventually anyway. I know every inch of my boat now and know that it was done right, by me. Rebuilt a trailer too. Rebuilding motors now (found a spare), but if they go bad Ill just put a new one on her.
Have you ever been out on a big lake like oahe ,devils lake or sakakawea 15 miles from the boat dock when one of our midwestern thunderstorms come out of no where. I have been stuck in a 16 foot boat and never again three foot rollers coming over the front isnt fun. Little lakes and places that the wind doesnt blow 20 on an average day that boat will do but up here your looking for trouble.

Moserkr

WKR
Yes and no. Got caught in a 14’ boat crossing Flathead Lake MT during a quick rolling in storm. Was a horrible experience.

I have fished Lake Oahe and my family has been there over 80 years. My great-grandpa fished it in a small 12’ boat for over 70 years out of Mobridge and put thousands of miles on his boat. Theres old family pics of their farms being flooded as the waters rose and covered the old town.

My point @KurtR was more so that whatever boat OP chooses, one can be rebuilt with a new motor for far less than a new one.

To your point, 100% agree that a 18’ very deep V boat is minimum for big water. Preferably closed bow with an enclosure imo. Welded would be my choice in that case too. I wouldnt want a tiller if I were 15 miles from the launch in any size boat on big water with a storm bearing down. Ive spent a lot of time in the ocean, lakes, and rivers; and have a healthy respect for the power of water.

Fatcamp

WKR
Have you ever been out on a big lake like oahe ,devils lake or sakakawea 15 miles from the boat dock when one of our midwestern thunderstorms come out of no where. I have been stuck in a 16 foot boat and never again three foot rollers coming over the front isnt fun. Little lakes and places that the wind doesnt blow 20 on an average day that boat will do but up here your looking for trouble.

We take our 16' Lund Alaskan on Oahe and the other reservoirs here, but maaaan, we watch the weather closely and are prepared to bail at a moments notice. Stick pretty close to the ramp as well.

Last summer had our first real weather. We could have pulled into a bay at any time but stuck it out because we were in no danger. It was fun to see how the boat handles in rough water, but it's a toy. That water is super spooky and requires a large boat. Last Fall I was boat shopping and found several nice deals on 20' Lund Alaskans. Those would be a much better option. I looked today and those deals are long gone.

Worst time of the year to buy a boat.

We bought this last Fall. Excited to begin the rehab.

20211031_154112.jpg

All downstream with this one, though.

Fatcamp

WKR
It started out as an 11 LB walleye until it started sunfishing, and ended up a 9 LB drum. I dont actually target drum but didn't want @TSAMP to think I was honing in on his walleye honey hole. 😀

Too funny. The big ones are really fun. Years ago I caught one 16.75# down in Arkansas. Looked like a garbage can lid coming in.

I agree with the guys saying buy a solid boat, clean it up, and power it with the best motor you can afford. Obviously might find that all in one deal, but good to keep it as an option.

I love having boats and have only owned tillers. They just keep getting bigger.

OP
ChrisA

ChrisA

WKR
Too funny. The big ones are really fun. Years ago I caught one 16.75# down in Arkansas. Looked like a garbage can lid coming in.

I agree with the guys saying buy a solid boat, clean it up, and power it with the best motor you can afford. Obviously might find that all in one deal, but good to keep it as an option.

I love having boats and have only owned tillers. They just keep getting bigger.
I appreciate all of your advice, recommendations and experiences. Pretty sure I'm going to sit tight and wait for a good deal whether it be good to go or one I can repair and repower.

Chris

KurtR

WKR
Yes and no. Got caught in a 14’ boat crossing Flathead Lake MT during a quick rolling in storm. Was a horrible experience.

I have fished Lake Oahe and my family has been there over 80 years. My great-grandpa fished it in a small 12’ boat for over 70 years out of Mobridge and put thousands of miles on his boat. Theres old family pics of their farms being flooded as the waters rose and covered the old town.

My point @KurtR was more so that whatever boat OP chooses, one can be rebuilt with a new motor for far less than a new one.

To your point, 100% agree that a 18’ very deep V boat is minimum for big water. Preferably closed bow with an enclosure imo. Welded would be my choice in that case too. I wouldnt want a tiller if I were 15 miles from the launch in any size boat on big water with a storm bearing down. Ive spent a lot of time in the ocean, lakes, and rivers; and have a healthy respect for the power of water.
I live in mobridge my father in law was born and raised here and it used to be 16 was a big boat but no one ran 30 or 40 miles a day which is the norm. Pretty much fished out of all the boats one of my best friends did the pwt and flw for years. I wouldnt mind a warrior tiller with a 300 on the back but if Im choosing and spending some one elses money right now a Zv21 or the lund 202 gl pro v with a 350 verado and 9.9 kicker with troll master would be my choice. Fished with live scope ripping jigging raps for big fish last year and thats the wave of the future but 4000 to get set up you need to really like fishing. Mobridge never actually flooded it would be pollock , old evarts or leBeau in the old pics

Dad and his buddy were on Oahe back in the 80's when a storm like you describe rolled in... They were in his buddy's cabin cruiser and tied off on a couple trees in the most sheltered place they could find. The pounding of the waves and wind ripped off a cleat and a railing they used for mooring and they had to scramble to re-tie before they got blow into open water. They were way out of their league and Dad used to say that was the scariest experience of his life. He was certain they would capsize and drown so far from the launch, but they made it through...

OP
ChrisA

ChrisA

WKR
Yes, Oahe can get dicey quick. In about 2008, my brother and I were with the late Dave Bonham fishing back in the Cheyenne. Was a bluebird day when a huge east wind blew up feeding a giant thunder storm to the west. We had to make it back to Minniconjou which wasn't too far but we were on the north side of the Cheyenne. We were in a 17' Crestliner Sportfish with a 90hp Yamaha. We had just started east when a 20' Lund with 200hp passed us so we tucked in behind him and tried to keep up. For some reason he slowed way down and we about ran upon him. The spray was terrible and you couldn't see through the windshield. Finally made it to boat ramp, not sure how Dave's cigarettes stayed dry but I've never seen anyone smoke on faster after he got one lit. At one point we thought about riding it out on the north side, glad we didn't as we heard later on the news that baseball size hail pounded the area. Definitely one to remember.

Chris

Last edited:

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Sakakawea was in my backyard growing up. You are spot on. You could always ID a NR. They were the ones NOT in a V Hull boat. Those Tri Hulls would turn your p!ss red.

You knew it was going to be a tough day when you grab the rain gear on a sky blue day. (As my dad would say. "Whitecaps in the minnow bucket.")

TSAMP

WKR
Loving these oahe stories. I was in a 18ft flat bottom fishing there in 2017. I camped along the shore and each morning expected my boat to be sunk. It's a miracle it never busted a Weld. Pretty sure i compressed a few discs that tripSnapchat-396796672.jpg

KurtR

WKR
Honestly if I am making a trip i would be driving east to the glacial lakes. I grew up in watertown and everyone used to talk about the river and big fish. Now the big fish numbers are all over east and fishing is way better we need the smelt back in a bad way on oahe. This is one of the 15 fish 27" or bigger we caught in a weekend ice fishing over there this year.

big fish.jpg

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes, Oahe can get dicey quick. In about 2008, my brother and I were with the late Dave Bonham fishing back in the Cheyenne. Was a bluebird day when a huge east wind blew up feeding a giant thunder storm to the west. We had to make it back to Minniconjou which wasn't too far but we were on the north side of the Cheyenne. We were in a 17' Crestliner Sportfish with a 90hp Yamaha. We had just started east when a 20' Lund with 200hp passed us so we tucked in behind him and tried to keep up. For some reason he slowed way down and we about ran upon him. The spray was terrible and you couldn't see through the windshield. Finally made it to boat ramp, not sure how Dave's cigarettes stayed dry but I've never seen anyone smoke on faster after he got one lit. At one point we thought about riding it out on the north side, glad we didn't as we heard later on the news that baseball size hail pounded the area. Definitely one to remember.

Chris

Hail is terrifying. That and lightning really scare me.

When we started going out to the river all we had was a 1436 Alumacraft with a 5hp 4 stroke motor. After a couple frightening events we found the money for a bigger, faster boat, but we still stick close to the ramps.

I've got a possibly stupid question. what makes you want to have a tiller on such big water?

My boats a dual console and wouldn't trade it for the world in rough weather and water. we crappie fish out of a small 16ft tiller some at a buddies but thats on smaller lakes. i end up dragging by bigger boat down there is we want to fish some of the big lakes.

KurtR

WKR
I've got a possibly stupid question. what makes you want to have a tiller on such big water?

My boats a dual console and wouldn't trade it for the world in rough weather and water. we crappie fish out of a small 16ft tiller some at a buddies but thats on smaller lakes. i end up dragging by bigger boat down there is we want to fish some of the big lakes.
Boat control and the how open the lay out is in the boat. Back trolling can be the ticket some days