Older Lund Pro-V 1775 vs newer tiller boats

ChrisA

WKR
Looking for advice on early to mid 90's Lund Pro-V 1775 tillers in excellent condition and in my price range vs newer boats with newer hull designs. Not opposed to Crestliner, Alumacraft, or Starcraft.

Basically, looking for a great value 17' deep V tiller with maxed HP; I'm good with either 2 or 4 stroke. Planning to use for walleye on Midwestern lakes, Mississippi and Missouri rivers. I'm a jigging kinda guy but will troll on occasion.

And please spare me the explanation of the BOAT acronym, got enough of that in the earlier G3 thread.

Thanks,

Chris

TSAMP

WKR
Check out the northern WI craigslist. That layout is popular up there. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those hulls. Although if you could wait I would. Boats are still nuts right now. I'm holding out another year myself.

Scoot

WKR
Prices on boats are crazy right now! Those mid 90's Pro Vs are great boats! Unfortunately for you, they hold their value really well. Personally, I won't own another boat that doesn't have a 4 stroke as the main motor. Not a good time to buy a boat- used or new. But... if you want one and don't want to wait, triple check everything on the boat, especially motor, and factor in the electronics for pricing (e.g., if you're a jigging guy and you fish current, you'll want spot lock as an option). Between upgrading a trolling motor and graphs it's damn easy to spend another couple to several grand (ask me how I know!) Good luck!

OP
ChrisA

ChrisA

WKR
Not really in a hurry but want to be ready for the right deal. Grew up in a 16' Lund with 25hp Evinrude, fished Oahe a lot back in the 80s. Then moved down here and have run a 16' flat bottom with 30hp short shaft Johnson for 24 years, have terrova up front and it works fine for the small rivers.

However, I've discovered the Mississippi is one helluva fishery and my Jon boat isn't up to that task. Buddy has a 620 Ranger and that's great but way outa my league, and it's too big to launch in some of the ramps I've found.

Thanks,

Chris

KurtR

WKR
What ever you get make sure to look at the transom those boats have been notorious for rotten wood and lund/crestliner are 0 help in repairing it.

TSAMP

WKR
Not really in a hurry but want to be ready for the right deal. Grew up in a 16' Lund with 25hp Evinrude, fished Oahe a lot back in the 80s. Then moved down here and have run a 16' flat bottom with 30hp short shaft Johnson for 24 years, have terrova up front and it works fine for the small rivers.

However, I've discovered the Mississippi is one helluva fishery and my Jon boat isn't up to that task. Buddy has a 620 Ranger and that's great but way outa my league, and it's too big to launch in some of the ramps I've found.

Thanks,

Chris
Whoa I already have dibs on the mighty miss. Move along friend.

if you can find a fully welded hull you'll be happier in the long run. i lost a rivet on the keel plate of my boat and damn near sunk it getting back to the ramp. i think it was a freak accident as i had checked all the Revit that spring but still not something that anyone wants to deal with.

some of the older model boats are pretty narrow as well. i went from a 16' boat wanting a 20' to a 17'6" that was over 18" wider and it made a huge difference on ride quality and usability of the boat

Also i wouldnt count out a princecraft boat. ive got a 01 176 pro and its been an awesome boat

Scoot

WKR
What ever you get make sure to look at the transom those boats have been notorious for rotten wood and lund/crestliner are 0 help in repairing it.
Yes I almost mentioned- also triple check the transom! Definitely good advice.

OP
ChrisA

ChrisA

WKR
Yes, very important! Looks like that's a $3k-5k+ deal. I have tools and skill to do it but would rather not, or seller better understand my lower offer

hunt1up

WKR

Agreed on the transom. I recently bought a 2006 Lund Fisherman 1700 in excellent condition. I later noticed some bubbling in the paint on the rear of the boat. I did some internet reading and pulled the top caps. Sure enough the transom was rotten on what appeared to be an immaculate boat. I was able to complain to Lund and they provided a composite transom for free. I still had to pay a dealer for labor and materials on their end and it cost me $5,000. It’s perfect now but I sure didn’t expect to pay for that when I bought it.

Rich M

WKR
Bought a SSV-18/60 hp merc/trailer in June 2020. Take it 10-15 miles out in the Atlantic and have been more, but it takes so long to cruise back in. Need to get into the habit of running deep, then fishing my way back in to break up the long boat ride in, swap it with a long boat ride out. We get snappers, kings/mackerel, and whatever else happens to grab the hook.

Had a 16 ft Mirrocraft back in the 80s that was a great boat - had tall sides, side console with 65 Merc on that one. Used to fish that one on Long Island Sound and Rhode Island. I imagine that it was a boat with decks and such that was converted to a stripped hull with side console before i got it.

Wore out a Lowe - 1998 16 w 25 hp. Still have the Lowe - it's got electrolysis blisters and such on the transom, likely from PT wood in the transom, but I hear that trapped moisture will also cause aluminum corrosion. We use it for duck hunting and some inshore fishing.

The diff between 16 and 18 is incredible and the round/flat utility bottom to V is another incredible diff. You don't lose the ability to float shallow (flats fishing/duck hunting) nearly as much as you'd imagine.

I would have bought a 20 ft SSV if they had it - think they used to make 20 ft utility versions back in the day.

Last thought - the riveted boats only leak if you pound em on the waves. Take it easy on em and they last a long time. If you pound the boat enough, rivets leak and welds crack. It takes nothing to put a bilge pump in the boat, can just toss the discharge line over the side and go pounding along - BTDT.

All this transom talk - you can buy dense 2-part foam - take out the rotten wood and pour it in - of course, do your research and do this cause it is the right thing to do, not cause some guy online said to do it.

Broomd

WKR
My last Merc two stroke was an excellent motor, didn't ever cause me an issue, but that said, I'd never go back to the blue smoke, especially if you troll.

Treat yourself to a four stroke they are fantastic.

Last edited: