Older Hunters

Hot Durn, that's a good job! Lots of work and I am glad you got it done. That story is good encouragement for the rest of us. I am hoping to get to Wy next year for deer and antelope if I get drawn.

Congrats on both hunts!

rodney747

WKR
Really enjoy this forum. Turned 68 past August and personally the changes are happening quickly. I hear bone on bone phrase used frequently by my Doctors. The mental frustration still kicks in but I'm really working on that. Also glad Texas has such diverse country side. Don't go West anymore. Get my pronghorn, mule deer, and occasional elk in the far northern Panhandle flat county of the state and my whitetail and occasional exotic from the Texas hill country low fence area I have access to. Good Health, Good Hunting and Happy Holidays to All.

This is great. I just turned 60. surely to be helpful for us aging hunters that want to keep hunting.
My current hunting buddy is 72. Some of the other guys I hunt with are my age. We had a discussion about this year about how to keep enjoying the hunting experience as or physical capabilities are diminishing.

rodney747

WKR
Yep, getting to the point that if I get up at 4am, hunt the hills till lunch,,,,,I need a nap.
And after 2-3 days of that , I need a day off.
Very true. Most importantly we're still hunting some of the time. My biggest problems start after the kill with loading the animal, cleaning, quartering, and burying in ice. My hands and wrists aren't working real well anymore! Wish Arthritis wasn't in the dictionary!

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
74! Still going strong, Wish I could figure out why I'm tripping over things as much as I do?
Oh Yea and the eye sight, forgetfulness, Back pain this old age deal isn't for the weak at heart.
one foot in front of the other and motor on slow but we get there!
I often tell people “gettin’ old ain’t for sissies. Anybody can be young. Takes some serious shit to get old”.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Damn, Keep getting after it. Kind of reminds me of this quote.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Using that post if you don’t mind. That’s great!

rodney747

WKR
Shot and cleaned a fat w/t doe yesterday evening and another one this morning here in the Texas hill country. (Skin, gut, quarter and bury in ice, haul off carcasses.) My hands and wrists are telling me it's time for a break tomorrow. Dang sure having fun!

I was 66 this season I try to hunt as hard as I can for a month each fall. this year I had a elk and moose tag in WY. in my hand and had no one it go with me. so I kill my elk 1 1/2 miles from the truck packed out 6 loads it was a all day deal. then came the moose it was only 1/2 mile but 8 loads and in the dark I was done. I think I heart for 2 days. I'll be back this fall.
We're all different, but it is still inspirational to hear this kind of story. I know a bunch of 20 year olds that couldn't do what you've done so it is really comes down to 'how bad you want it' (and fitness).

Just started visiting Rokslide Forums again after being away for a couple of years!
I was very happy to see the new OLD FART SECTION!!
I will be 71 in a couple of weeks .

Thanks,
Bob

Dexter

FNG
I feel old but only mid 50’s. Had a lot of injuries that make my body hurt. 3 neck surgeries and 3 shoulder surgeries. Need surgery on left shoulder and right knee.
Pain sucks!

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Ya’ know, you have to be able to laugh at yourself to deal with this aging dilemma. I’m aging, I’m dealing with the everyday aches and pains. Plus, I am so looking forward to fishing/hunting season. Enjoy your day. MTG

Crusader

WKR
Ya’ know, you have to be able to laugh at yourself to deal with this aging dilemma. I’m aging, I’m dealing with the everyday aches and pains. Plus, I am so looking forward to fishing/hunting season. Enjoy your day. MTG
Yep, agreed. Have to be able to laugh and smile through it because we can't change/stop it so we may as well do what we can and make the best of it!

I’ve seen enough people go at younger for old ages, and some just to young period, that still being here is something to appreciate. Getting old, if in decent health, is much better than the alternative.

I think I tried to explore the limits of life today and yesterday. I sawed and loaded 4 chords of 24 inch fir and larch. I had one butt cut that was 40" that I had to try three times to get it in the trailer.

I'm guessing I might be able to walk again in a day or two and I still have to unload it. The youth is gone for sure. Now it is just tenacity.

Older hunter with an older gun ('64 Rem. Woodmaster 742 '06) wondering whether it is worth replacing my Bushnell Banner II 1.5x4 scope with a higher power (modern) scope. I'll be elk and mule deer hunting in northern New Mexico. Lots of forests and it's hard to imagine taking a shot at a distance greater than 300 yards..maybe 350?

Do I upgrade or just focus (no pun intended) on getting closer?

CRJR45

WKR
Older hunter with an older gun ('64 Rem. Woodmaster 742 '06) wondering whether it is worth replacing my Bushnell Banner II 1.5x4 scope with a higher power (modern) scope. I'll be elk and mule deer hunting in northern New Mexico. Lots of forests and it's hard to imagine taking a shot at a distance greater than 300 yards..maybe 350?

Do I upgrade or just focus (no pun intended) on getting closer?
Maybe go to a 300 yard range and see how it shoots first ? New scopes are nice and it can't hurt , other than the cost ?

rodney747

WKR
Also there are better optics for light gathering which definitely give you a shot earlier in the morning and later in the evening which has been my luck on some of the better animals I've taken. Usually very early or very late.