Older Hunters

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am about to turn 60. This very minute, I am laying in bed, in the hospital. I got a complete knee replacement (right knee) this morning. April 1st I had left shoulder surgery, this past December, I had right shoulder surgery. June 9th, I get prostate surgery, and when my right knee heals up, I will get the left knee done.

Simply put, I just wear out body parts. But hey, its much better than being in here (hospital) and getting fixed up, than being in the hospital for a heart condition from being a couch potato.

Damn, Keep getting after it. Kind of reminds me of this quote.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn, Keep getting after it. Kind of reminds me of this quote.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly. What I can say without any exaggeration is that I have been living life. I plan on continuing to.

deadi

Lil-Rokslider
At 62 the first item on my hunting list is Extra Strength Tylenol. I've slowed down a bit but take the time to enjoy it more. My idol is a 86 year old at church that still solo day hunts for elk.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm 66 and will be doing a guided archery elk hunt in Colorado this September. I've lost over 30 lbs, down to 190 which is pretty lean for me. I've been riding a bike 11 to 15 miles a day, 4 to 5 times a week. It gets tougher to bounce back with energy but I love the hunts and will continue to do them as long as I'm able.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

frogman43

FNG
All these damn old guys and their max points, ruining our draw odds 😉
Don't fret......I'll be burning mine up very soon! LOL

Also, should add, I turn 62 in December. Had my right knee replaced about 8 weeks ago and am having the left replaced first week of September. Getting these worn-out parts replaced and then time to retire and enjoy what lifetime I have left. Took a quick trip to Wyoming last week to look at a place that came on the market and bought it! Plan is to move to Wyoming when I retire to spend all the time, I want in the Mountains and hunt and fish as I like.

Last edited:
Yup, 66 now and it just take longer to get back into shape after a layoff and longer to recover from a hard romp in the wilderness. Had to make a deal with the wife and start carrying an in reach in case of medical emergency. Life is good, finally have more time in retirement to spend on outdoor pursuits doing the things I love.

As an add on to my previous post. I am sure many of us older hunters have had injuries or illnesses in the past that have left us with some limitations. I grew up really healthy and active, 30 ys in the Navy, 15 more industry, don't hardly ever remember taking a day off of work. However the last 8 yrs have caught up with me. Cancer, surgery, radiation treatment, heart work, etc. I refuse to let this effect my attitude.
I continue to enjoy my outdoors activities, albeit at a slower pace. Plan my trips smarter, etc. It seems like I can still go most of the day, endurance is still there, my son calls it "old man strength". I just can't go fast anywhere. Which seems to work out really good for hunting. I get passed by a lot of hikers on moderate to steep trails and I am OK with that, at least I am still out there. Life is good.

I just couldn't resist putting my first post on Rokslide in this forum. About the same time I applied for Medicare I decided I would put in for a NM Unit 45 archery elk hunt in '23. Unit 45 is in my backyard and I've been scouting since August as a sort of get-in-shape plan. AM I crazy to think I can learn to shoot a bow and solo hunt elk at my age? I know I can get to most places in the Pecos on my own...but it's pretty obvious that if successful I'll need help. Any recommendation for packers that will do contingent pick-ups?

Would not Rust - AM I crazy to think I can learn to shoot a bow and solo hunt elk at my age?

I don't see why not. I learned to shoot a compound bow at age 62, still shooting the bow and I am Soc Sec age as well and just applied for it. There are much older bow hunters than me. Having the aperture to sight through, which was just like the open sights I have on several of my rifles made the sighting/aiming part easy. I just had to practice and build up more upper body strength. My draw weight is right at 56 lbs. due mostly to having chest surgery in the not too distant past. So, yes I think you can learn to shoot a bow. Don't let people pressure you into trying to start with higher draw weight than you can manage. You can work you way up to what works for you. Check out what your states rules are. In WA state there is a min draw weight to hunt with. You might check for archery shops and ranges and see if you can some instruction/practice with someone to help you get started. It will cut the learning curve down.

Sorry, no real experience with learning to Elk hunt, other than think about the pack out as part of the planning process.

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
Would not Rust- one other option if it's legal in N.M. is a crossbow if you don't want to go the compound route. The wife of a friend of mine is 68 and she finally had to go to a crossbow due to strength issues. But she just killed a dandy Wis. buck with it. Don't let age stop you, just recognize you might have to go a bit slower and not as long.

Would not Rust - AM I crazy to think I can learn to shoot a bow and solo hunt elk at my age?

I don't see why not. I learned to shoot a compound bow at age 62, still shooting the bow and I am Soc Sec age as well and just applied for it. There are much older bow hunters than me. Having the aperture to sight through, which was just like the open sights I have on several of my rifles made the sighting/aiming part easy. I just had to practice and build up more upper body strength. My draw weight is right at 56 lbs. due mostly to having chest surgery in the not too distant past. So, yes I think you can learn to shoot a bow. Don't let people pressure you into trying to start with higher draw weight than you can manage. You can work you way up to what works for you. Check out what your states rules are. In WA state there is a min draw weight to hunt with. You might check for archery shops and ranges and see if you can some instruction/practice with someone to help you get started. It will cut the learning curve down.

Sorry, no real experience with learning to Elk hunt, other than think about the pack out as part of the planning process.
Thanks for the encouragement and tips. NM rules are simple: "Any compound, long or recurve bow. Draw locks are illegal. Arrows must have broadheads (fixed or mechanical) with cutting edges..." Another suggested a crossbow which is permitted during the November Muzzle season, but I'd rather dig out my old 30-06 and hunt in October if it comes to that.

To be honest, I picked Bow because that's the season I've seen Elk in the woods. I noticed sign while foraging for wild mushrooms and set up a camera just "because". For 6 weeks from late August to mid-October I saw this guy and a young spike working 6-8 cows. I'd see him every 3 or 4 days, sometimes 2 days in a row, but mostly at night bedded down or chasing cows....pictures to follow.

JC hunter

FNG
I was 66 this season I try to hunt as hard as I can for a month each fall. this year I had a elk and moose tag in WY. in my hand and had no one it go with me. so I kill my elk 1 1/2 miles from the truck packed out 6 loads it was a all day deal. then came the moose it was only 1/2 mile but 8 loads and in the dark I was done. I think I heart for 2 days. I'll be back this fall.