Older 700 triggers

Just picked bought my first rem700. Clean BDL in 7mm-08, looks like it was made around 80-82’. Too cheap to pass up. Should I keep the stock trigger and tune it? or go straight for a trigger tech that are on sale right now.

Rob5589

WKR
My first match gun (on a budget) used an 80's trigger that was tuned by my gunsmith and it was very nice and crisp. My next gun I used a Timney which I found to be about the same as the tuned 700. Surely opinions will vary.

E.Shell

FNG
Ernie the gunsmith springs and a stone will take you quite far.
I agree. An older Remington trigger can be cleaned up and polished and be very crisp. I believe that the quality of the break is more important than the weight. Many/most people strive for too light a trigger, thinking that it will counter bad habits, and give up good control.

I've had Timneys and Canjars on several M700s and never saw them as providing any better on-target performance than a well tuned factory trigger.

Mark.c

FNG
Both my 700s had either the Walker trigger or X Mark Pro trigger from the factory. I replaced both with a Shilen and a Timney. The walker trigger was too heavy for me. The adjustable X trigger was recalled by Remington could slam fire if adjusted too light. I have no regrets about it.

Last edited:

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
With so much talk of Remington Walker triggers firing unexpectedly, I removed them for piece of mind. I use Trigger Tech and Timney now.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
With so much talk of Remington Walker triggers firing unexpectedly, I removed them for piece of mind. I use Trigger Tech and Timney now.
Same. I had a 700 of the OPs era do the Walker Thing on me. Scare the $hit out of a fella.

One of my 700s had a Timney, the other a Triggertech and my latest had a new trigger before ammo was even purchased

TaperPin

WKR
After buying my first Timney set at 2 lbs, my other 1980’s vintage Remingtons with factory triggers adjusted down seemed rather crude. Since that time a new trigger is the first thing I buy.

Wrench

WKR
Most people try to get a clean break on the walker by screwing the sear engagement to beyond minimum AND use a spring that won't get light enough....so they lose the precious preload.

I’ve got a ‘63 Remington 700 30-06 that slam fired on me twice since I bought it NOS in 1988. Replaced the trigger with a Timney and I’m much happier with it. I trust it now.