Old School: Who Doesn't Hunt with a Muzzle Brake or Suppressor?

OP
General RE LEE
Weird how some of the best shooters/hunters around use muzzle brakes. I guess someone should tell them they are shooting too big of cartridges

They are also shooting small 6 and 6.5 mm cartridges in competition rigs.

WCB

WKR
I don't....I need to get a suppressor but just can't pull the trigger on spending $200 to the crooks who get enough of my money just so I can pay another $500+ and not have it in hand at time of payment...or within a reasonable amount of time.

As far as brakes...have never and will never put one on my rifles and I will avid hunting with guys that use them. The absolute #1 most annoying piece of gear guys brought when I guided. I can deal with wrong boots, shitty optics, ill prepared people. Guys who shoot brakes...got no time.

I’d run a suppressor if not illegal here. Strictest gun laws in the US here, logic be damned. Don’t run a brake because I almost always hunt with a partner, and the Tikka 6.5 CM doesn’t really need one anyway.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
count me in the old school group- no brakes/suppressors on any of my rifles

got turned off of brakes at a long range rifle school where they guy next to me was shooting a braked .300- every time I was about to squeeze the trigger he blew me into the next county :D

I like the idea of suppressors, but not the cost, hassle or weight

prm

WKR

got turned off of brakes at a long range rifle school where they guy next to me was shooting a braked .300- every time I was about to squeeze the trigger he blew me into the next county :D

As a shooter, brakes are wonderful! It’s everybody else around the shooter that suffers.

sndmn11

WKR

You're a smart guy with a professional background. Do you put on any hearing protection prior to shooting?

gbflyer

WKR
I have both and hunt with neither. In fact I haven’t hunted this year period.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're a smart guy with a professional background. Do you put on any hearing protection prior to shooting?

if I have time (and usually do), yes - I have a pair of plugs handy

sadly with 35 + years in law enforcement (25 years as a firearms instructor and putting down 100's of injured animals) my hearing definitely could be better than what it is. My last stint doing contract with the USMS I had to pass a hearing test semi-annually- it was always touch and go and sometimes I failed and had to take a more intensive test (which fortunately I'd pass)

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think I have two rifles in the safe that don't have muzzle brakes or a suppressor, and neither one has been shot in years.

For hunting, I definitely prefer suppressors, but I run brakes as well.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Start your own range or stay home
Nice. What a useful comment.

.270 unbraked. I'd be in line for a suppressor if my state allowed them. Only shot it once without hearing protection while hunting and lucked out with the downhill profile I was on reflecting a good amount of the muzzle blast outward. No ringing, but I wouldn't shoot without protection again.