Old School: Who Doesn't Hunt with a Muzzle Brake or Suppressor?

I think younger gun owners and hunters underestimate the weird complexes many older people have about things which improve their quality of life while shooting/hunting. For years trekking poles got called sissy sticks and were thought of as feminine because of an attitude that it's more manly to actively choose to beat up your body for no reason. I see guys at the range all the time with horrific flinches shooting 7 lb guns chambered in 300 Shitkicking Remchesterby Magnum and their body is anticipating the punishment. If I mentioned the flinch to them they'd probably take it as me calling them weak too.

This attitude extends to suppressors too. There's this weird pride in intentionally giving yourself hearing loss when it could be avoided. As you see in this thread it's usually tied up in either "being a man" or some misguided thought that they're going to show the government who's boss by not getting one. If you really want to stick it to the government then get one because the reason they make it so hard is so you won't.

madcalfe

WKR
i run a muzzle brake on my 5lb 20" barreled 300wsm.
yes its loud, and i have no issues shooting it without the brake
but id rather be able to spot my shots then running it unbraked.
for guys that bitch about oh i don't have time to put in hearing protection.
they have things called electronic hearing protection ear buds now that you can leave in while hunting.

Bluefish

WKR
I used unbraked and no suppressor the last two years. I also wore electronic protection. This year I will be using a suppressor. I already have tinnitus and really don’t want it any worse.

Macintosh

WKR
for guys that bitch about oh i don't have time to put in hearing protection.
they have things called electronic hearing protection ear buds now that you can leave in while hunting.
I hear this suggestion once in a while, but so far has not been a viable solution. Do you have a good suggestion for brand/model? I have tried several and between falling out of my ears (for whatever reason no earbud style headphone or ear pro has ever fit securely on me), fiddling with tiny batteries in the freezing cold/dark or trying to charge in the backcountry, none even remotely worked well-enough to be a viable option. But if there is a decent option that exists I’d be interested.

Bluefish

WKR
I hear this suggestion once in a while, but so far has not been a viable solution. Do you have a good suggestion for brand/model? I have tried several and between falling out of my ears (for whatever reason no earbud style headphone or ear pro has ever fit securely on me), fiddling with tiny batteries in the freezing cold/dark or trying to charge in the backcountry, none even remotely worked well-enough to be a viable option. But if there is a decent option that exists I’d be interested.
Sounds like you need a custom style hpd. Won’t be cheap, most run $1k or more. e.a.r., Westone are two that come to mind. I am sure there are others. I would find a local audiologist and see what they offer. They will be the ones taking your ear molds anyway. I would also buy a set of etymotic musicians earplugs while you are at it. Used to be $100-$150 and offer 9 or 15 db filters that are a flat response. Great for any loud venue like bars, concerts, sporting events. I use them a lot and it really make loud venues more pleasant.

the advantage of custom fit products is they fit the less than optimal ear shapes that most plugs are designed to fit. Having worked for a earmolds lab, I have seen a lot of ear shapes that really don’t work with the typical foam plug based designs. Either too much taper so they work their way out by your jaw moving or oval shaped ear canals that simply don’t seal or fit. I would stay away from mold it yourself as it’s not easy to make a good mold. You really need someone who has done a few to get good molds.

Suppressors should be law, for a number of reasons, all of them for humanities benefit lol. Not even joking. Do we straight pipe all our cars? It's the dumbest thing ever not protecting EVERYONE's ears from this damaging and annoying noise pollution. (shooters and public that may be near by)
I have always found it interesting the same guy invented the car muffler and the rifle silencer...One is required by law and they other you have to pay a tax to use...

madcalfe

WKR

to name a few

ElPollo

WKR
I wonder how common brakes would be in the US if suppressors were not regulated as they are. They are certainly frowned on in Europe where you can buy a can at a hardware store.

That said I got a suppressor about a year ago and have not shot an unsuppressed rifle since then. Like many here, I have hearing damage and the associated tinnitus. However I shoot a lot of shotguns without a suppressor because it’s not really practical. Whether I use a suppressor or not, I use hearing protection every time I pull the trigger. In the field, I use electronic in-the-ear plugs. Some might ask why I use both protection and a suppressor. The answer is that no hearing protection will fully protect you from the noise produced by many centerfire rifles. My electronic plugs reduce muzzle blast by 22 db, but I’ve still rung my ears with them after a few rounds from an unbraked 300. I don’t own a braked gun and have no interest in acquiring one.

WKR
I sometimes still hunt with a flintlock or a vintage 22 with iron sights, but I've mostly given up on unsuppressed hunting. It seems so primitive now.

gtriple

WKR
I hunt with a .30-06 without a break or suppressor. I don't want the noise of a break and don't want to add a suppressor to an already long and heavy rifle. I carry ear plugs, but don't always have time to put them in whitetail hunting. This isn't at long ranges though, I think my longest shot on a deer the last few years has been 140 yards.

My next rifle will be threaded and I'll jump through the hoops for a can. Same for when I buy my kids their first rifles.
If you haven't started the process for buying the can, I'd go ahead and start. That way it is already in your possession when you get your next rifle.

I've always hunted old school, but I've REALLY taken a liking to muzzle brakes, and I've got 4 cans in jail.
All my gun purchases going forward are threaded barrels, or getting threaded.

I'll still hang on to my smaller caliber unthreaded guns though.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Cans are illegal in my home state of CA because our regulators are smarter - just ask them. Muzzle brakes are in general great for high volume target shooting & recoil management on hard kicking rifles. In hunting situations they are a disadvantage with the increased noise.

I’m an old guy so learned to shoot shotguns with a 12 gA & never got participation trophies. My son & sons in law are recoil sissies so their 300’s wear brakes. My 300 Weatherby doesn’t have a brake but isn’t a lightweight rifle.

If you can’t handle recoil for medical or lace bloomer reasons get a brake, wear hearing protection & be courteous to your hunting partners.

If you haven’t shaved the hair off your chest & can focus for 1-3 shots in normal hunting situations with a stout shoulder push use an unbraked accurate rifle & kill stuff.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have either and don't know many that do on their field rifles, ear pro on the range I'd say is necessary but worrying about it in the context of probably less than a dozen shots a year in the field is over kill it's not just the decibels but exposure time that is the real killer on your hearing.
I go from spring squirrel through to spring squirrel and hunt everything but ducks without ear pro and get a pretty thorough hearing test twice a year at work and in 13 years of those tests I have shown no loss outside of what's expected for someone my age.
Slight edit
I have had braked rifles and greatly enjoyed them in the field if it helps it helps just prefer the push over the extra noise and gunk they pick up in the field pick your poison there with whatever makes you flinch best 😂
And a suppressor IS on my list not out of fear of noise or slap but being a little bit more polite when night hunting.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR

to name a few
Thank you, but Ive actually tried several of those exact ones and they do not work for me fit-wise, and dealing with charging or batteries has been a problem on hunting trips.

not directed at the quoted post—The main point is that a lot of people here are making this out to be a bunch of crusty old dudes set in their ways who are just obstinately not changing with the times while not caring that they are destroying their hearing out of some hyper-masculine need to prove how much suffering they can take, and that’s simply not an accurate representation of why many people dont use suppressors. I cannot legally hunt with a suppressor most of the time, and ear pro at the range is a given. So tell me again why I should fork over $1000 plus $200 and wait a year for something that doesn’t even replace my $100 muffs (until EVERYONE at the range has a can) and I STILL can’t hunt with outside the occasional trip to a state with more favorable politics (where my $9.99 wraparound plugs still work great)?? Thats got nothing to do with old school, it’s simply how the math works for a good many people.

I already wear muffs at the range, and my suppressor wont change that until every single other gun at the range also has one. I fire 1-2 shots a year hunting with a centerfire rifle, maybe 3-4 if Im lucky. I hunt in a state that allows suppressors for hunting once every 3-4 years. When I can hunt at home with a suppressor, including on my shotgun for bird hunting where I actually shoot in much higher volume and still need directional hearing to locate a flush, then we can talk about how much of a gamechanger it’ll be for me.

Bluefish

WKR
The thing is, shotguns are low 150’s for db, center fire rifles 160-180’s. What that means is it’s pretty easy to get a shotgun under the 140db threshold for instant damage, yet single protection may or may not get you there with a center fire rifle. For those who say, I get tested every year and have no issue, I say this, they don’t test beyond 6k usually. the first damage is being done at higher frequencies due to ear geometry. So they basically don’t test where you are probably loosing hearing and the brain does make up for some loss until we get older.
You can have the audiologist do a test called an oae, or Otto acoustical emissions. It shows where the ear follicles are damaged and is predictive of future loss. Mine shows I have little hearing above 6k, yet my hearing tests fairly well. what this says is I will have a big loss later in life.
The damage can’t be undone and is cumulative. Also there is a genetic component, so some people may never have an issue or others will have more of an issue with the same exposure.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I started using an Area 419 when I got my first threaded barrel rifle, a CA MPR. The factory brake was uncomfortable to shoot, the Area 419 much better. Brakes are fine, most competitors use them as recoil fatigue can add up and effect accurate shooting. I don't like them for hunting as I don't like to have to worry about having hearing protection in place before I shoot, not always time for that.

I have since started hunting with a suppresser and at this point, won't hunt without one, they simply enhance the experience all the way around. Much more pleasant for the shooter and they don't spook game nearly as much.

I shot a doe in a field last year with five bucks feeding around, at the shot they jumped a bit but went about their business, not bothered in the least by my shot.

I understand that suppressers are not for everyone but I like them and just purchase/initiated process on my third.

Suppressors are illegal here so that option is a no go but i just picked up a 7RM and debated long and hard about whether or not to get the model that had the brake/was threaded. Since probably half of the shots on game i've taken the last couple years I didnt have time to put ear pro in, I passed on the brake. Our range is only open limited days too and usually very crowded so didn;t want to be that guy sending concussive waves all around. it saved me hundreds too to not get the threaded tikka model which helped with my decision. If I could legally shoot suppressed though, I probably would.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Suppressors are illegal here so that option is a no go but i just picked up a 7RM and debated long and hard about whether or not to get the model that had the brake/was threaded. Since probably half of the shots on game i've taken the last couple years I didnt have time to put ear pro in, I passed on the brake. Our range is only open limited days too and usually very crowded so didn;t want to be that guy sending concussive waves all around. it saved me hundreds too to not get the threaded tikka model which helped with my decision. If I could legally shoot suppressed though, I probably would.
I've hunted for years with my 7RM without a brake, no problem. But, because I can own a suppresser and really like them, I will always use one when I can.

My 300 Norma wears a brake, and a very well designed brake, and I feel little or no back pressure from it. I also don't shoot at shooting ranges and my hunting partners all shoot large caliber rifles with brakes as well. Never really bothered me, I wear double ear pro when I practice and always have time to throw ears in in the field or I dont take the shot. That being said, I do want a can.