Old School: Who Doesn't Hunt with a Muzzle Brake or Suppressor?

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
I was referring to the typical distances we shoot here in eastern US which is often under 200 yards. I have a shooting house over a cut corn field where I can shoot out to 650 yards but it never fails that most of my kills from this spot are under 200. The two deer I killed this season were 120 yards and 47 yards. Here is a pic of a buck I shot out the left window that was making a scrape on the tree line. You can see my blind in the background.

Sometimes there are only moments where a shot opportunity will occur.
So why is this in the Long Range Hunting forum? I guess that was mainly my confusion. If we're talking sub 200 yard shots I certainly get the debate.

sndmn11

WKR
I haven’t met a single guy who’s lost hearing from shooting rifles without ear pro that didn’t regret not using ear pro. I’d rather miss the deer than miss out on what people are saying when I’m older.

I don’t use a brake or can while hunting, but I take the time to protect my ears.
Agreed. Combine that with hunting being a leisure activity where nobody "needs" to slay that deer right now, and it is a head scratcher. We hook electronic ear muffs to our bio harness and put them on before shooting an animal. Very easy. If I am expecting a fast and furious gun fight with my game of choice, I just put them on before they are needed. Keep my ears warm and amplify normal sounds to boot.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I started as a bird getter at the age of 4 sitting next to my Dad during dove hunts. Now at the age of 44, after decades of hunting squirrel, dove, duck, and deer without hearing protection, target shooting......my left ear (I'm right handed) rings 24/7/365. I will never hear silence again. If there is not a fan on or white noise, it is really "loud". The worst I attribute to a Browning with Boss that I shot at least a hundred times unprotected between the age of 15 and 25. Also lots of magnum pistol shooting. Then there are several times I remember duck hunting in college and buddy in the blind next to me swung his barrel and pulled the trigger right next to my head. I did it to them a few times too. A couple of times we almost got into a fist fight about it. Then last year 2 shots (2 dead bucks) with my Christensen Ridgeline with a brake were the final straws for me. I did have the plugs around my neck and put them in before shooting, but the left one wasn't quite sealed on that last shot. It's just not worth it anymore. I don't want it to get any worse, or spread to my right ear.

I hunt and shoot rifles with a can from now on, unless I can't (like going hunting in Canada), in which case I will just have a thread protector on there. My health (including my hearing) is #1. Opinions of others didn't make the list.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been mostly an archery hunter for big game for the past 20 years. Took my 06 to the range to zero it in and the guy next to me was shooting his 300 win mag w a break. My god it was LOUD. Even through my doubled up ear protection. I should have moved of course. Definitely got me thinking on the value of suppressors.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
The question is hunting with a brake or suppression
Count me in as a NO
If they work for you, great!
Just not my thing. Old school I suppose.
Guns are loud and they push back at you.

For me brakes are a solid NO in any situation.
I own suppressors and they are enjoyable to use and tinker with.
I have new and old rifles that are threaded, but they all wear a thread protector by default.

For me personally and my standard style of big game hunting, I do not see a need for either.

I have a solid collection of BIG boom sticks, and I enjoy shooting them.
Name a magnum cartridge and I own, or did own, a rifle chambered in it at some point.
If I am at the range I wear hearing protection and a shoulder pad. (and a grin)

I am a small frame guy, but is it weird that I actually like the sound of a rifle report, MEMORABLE RECOIL and the smell of burnt powder ?
In fact, I cannot recall a single instance of a gun recoiling in a hunting situation

KenLee

WKR
I started as a bird getter at the age of 4 sitting next to my Dad during dove hunts. Now at the age of 44, after decades of hunting squirrel, dove, duck, and deer without hearing protection, target shooting......my left ear (I'm right handed) rings 24/7/365. I will never hear silence again. If there is not a fan on or white noise, it is really "loud". The worst I attribute to a Browning with Boss that I shot at least a hundred times unprotected between the age of 15 and 25. Also lots of magnum pistol shooting. Then there are several times I remember duck hunting in college and buddy in the blind next to me swung his barrel and pulled the trigger right next to my head. I did it to them a few times too. A couple of times we almost got into a fist fight about it. Then last year 2 shots (2 dead bucks) with my Christensen Ridgeline with a brake were the final straws for me. I did have the plugs around my neck and put them in before shooting, but the left one wasn't quite sealed on that last shot. It's just not worth it anymore. I don't want it to get any worse, or spread to my right ear.

I hunt and shoot rifles with a can from now on, unless I can't (like going hunting in Canada), in which case I will just have a thread protector on there. My health (including my hearing) is #1. Opinions of others didn't make the list.
If you haven't tried these to help the ringing:
1. Resveratrol supplement
2. NOW brand C-100 supplement
3. Limit salt intake.

I had to travel 4 hours to find an ear Dr who gave me practical advice.
Locals push dope and shots.

wesfromky

WKR
Shooting without proper ear pro cause progressive and permanent hearing damage.
Wearing and dealing with ear pro while hunting can suck.
Therefore, I have sworn off hunting with anything that can cause hearing damage without ear pro. Archery and silencers from here out for me. I already have some hearing loss and tinnitus, no reason to make it worse when there is a solution.

The ATF sucks and the process is long and dumb, but pretty simple. Right now, approvals are running 250-260 days, so if you order now, you have solid odds of shooting suppressed by next fall.

Hikein

FNG
I hunt with neither. Also have diminished hearing but that could also be from 155mm muzzle blast. I also hunt in wool that isn’t Camo pattern. Somehow I still get fresh jerky.

Shooting without proper ear pro cause progressive and permanent hearing damage.
Wearing and dealing with ear pro while hunting can suck.
Therefore, I have sworn off hunting with anything that can cause hearing damage without ear pro. Archery and silencers from here out for me. I already have some hearing loss and tinnitus, no reason to make it worse when there is a solution.

The ATF sucks and the process is long and dumb, but pretty simple. Right now, approvals are running 250-260 days, so if you order now, you have solid odds of shooting suppressed by next fall.
what he said.

BjornF16

WKR
Muzzle brakes have no place on public shooting ranges or on rifles of guys who ever want to hunt with another human being.
I started carrying my braked 300 WM for the next jackwagon who plops down prone next to my shooting position with a braked Creedmoor…🤪

I don’t use a brake on my 22 CM, 6XC, 6.5 CM or bolt 6.5 Grendel; I’ll use a brake or can on magnums.

I have an adapter for my can coming so I can shoot suppressed with my 22 CM. Whitetails are pretty skittish but they don’t seem to disperse with suppressed shots (at least in my experience).

Lawnboi

WKR
Nothing like a bunch of city jerkwads showing up with their ar-15’s and boom away while you’re sighting your rifle in….

I stopped going to ranges years ago because of those fags.
I did the same as the above poster but for AR guys. Until I got rid of my braked 300 win mag because it was stupid.

doughnut

FNG
Deer hunting is the only kind of hunting I do so all the rifles I own are light recoiling. So no need for a brake. Too cheap to buy a suppressor. Although it would probably be pretty fun to play around with.

TADSR

FNG
Never, I personally have no use for them. My wife has a Kimber 338 Federal with no muzzlebreak. The gun weighs 4#12oz. scoped with 3 rounds of ammo and she shoots it extremely well. Even shot a grizzly this fall. My reason for not liking them is that they are extremely loud and if you can't handle the recoil, go to a smaller caliber. Not saying my way is right, just my personal opinion.

bmart2622

WKR
Weird how some of the best shooters/hunters around use muzzle brakes. I guess someone should tell them they are shooting too big of cartridges

WKR
Age 56 and wearing a nice set of hearing aids these days. Shot a 340 weatherby braked once in a hurry. Very painful and ears rang for days afterwards. About that time my kids started hunting with me and all guns were sold that had brakes.

Now days we use suppressors and it is significantly more comfortable. I hope my now adult kids will keep using the suppressors in the field.

Read a study where PRS guys wearing double ear protection were still having hearing damage from brakes. Personally, I also struggled shooting braked as the concussion blast coming back was something I started dreading. Not for me but shoot what turns your crank. And no, I don't shoot at public ranges lol.