Old guys packing elk!!,

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Was wondering if you Solo hunters have a particular process to pack out a elk? Do yall
always de-bone? Do yall leap frog meat,or make one straight run at a time? Any tips yall have is most appreciated. I have always hunted in a group and had help. I will be alone this whole September. Only blackies and lions where I will be,so no Griz. My biggest fear is weather and temp. If weather is plenty cold I will bring him out steak by steak if my Old ass has too.Lol Thanks guys.
Charles
Do I always de-bone? No, depends. Loose meat can be a challenge to keep still in a pack sometimes. I rarely de-bone hinds (I like bone in roasts, improves flavor IMO), fronts I will as the bone is a much larger percentage of the weight.

Leap frog? Not often, but if it is stupid steep out or getting back, yes. Just hate wasting time un-packing to re-pack to un-pack to re-pack etc. However, there are trails/areas where that is the best way for sure.

If it is really warm, meat first then gear. I have left binos, bow, tripods, spotter, etc. all near the meat (overnight even), and brought it out last. That stuff adds up quick as far as pounds go.

Capes are heavy and don't do well in heat. If you are a long way in, and arrow something you may want to mount, really focus on the cape. Get it cool, get it out ASAP to prevent hair slipping. A consideration, taxidermist will sell you a cape if yours isn't available.

Bring a small 6x6 tarp to put quarters/meat on as you are cleaning it up, then when done, use it for shade if the area doesn't really have any. Get it in the windiest area you can. A little breeze will go a long way cooling meat off.

Do I always de-bone? No, depends. Loose meat can be a challenge to keep still in a pack sometimes. I rarely de-bone hinds (I like bone in roasts, improves flavor IMO), fronts I will as the bone is a much larger percentage of the weight.

Leap frog? Not often, but if it is stupid steep out or getting back, yes. Just hate wasting time un-packing to re-pack to un-pack to re-pack etc. However, there are trails/areas where that is the best way for sure.

If it is really warm, meat first then gear. I have left binos, bow, tripods, spotter, etc. all near the meat (overnight even), and brought it out last. That stuff adds up quick as far as pounds go.

Capes are heavy and don't do well in heat. If you are a long way in, and arrow something you may want to mount, really focus on the cape. Get it cool, get it out ASAP to prevent hair slipping. A consideration, taxidermist will sell you a cape if yours isn't available.

Bring a small 6x6 tarp to put quarters/meat on as you are cleaning it up, then when done, use it for shade if the area doesn't really have any. Get it in the windiest area you can. A little breeze will go a long way cooling meat off.
The tarp is a nice addition. I've used one as a makeshift sled one year on a late cow tag. It didn't survive real long dragging a cow wrapped up in it, but it lasted long enough to get me down the hill.

Gerbdog

WKR
Depends on distance to the truck and what time of day we are looking at.... if i kill a bull in the evening, temps are cooler, im gonna get that elk hanging in trees and i may take a trip back straight to the truck with a load.

Unload the unnecessary stuff, sleep, go back in the morning and at which point, depending on distance, i'm gonna leap frog it. Especially if i crossed a river or some natural barrier like that. I wanna get my boots soaked at one point in the day and not the entire day. So i'll get all the meat up to the river, do all the crossings, and then figure it out from there.

I really try not to de-bone if im up for the suffering of carrying the bones.

I have cut them in half and drug each half downhill or even around a ridge nose to get to a place that is cool early in the season or convenient to then stage the transport.

Then I quarter and hang in a tree that I can can see from enough distance to limit bear risk. After that it is just a walking exercise.

wytx

WKR
Hunt with the spouse mostly these days so we have 2 to pack and I have a couple of years on cnelk.
Bone out what we need to, cut off the lower legs and hooves if not boned out.
Good pack frame will hold 50 lbs nicely. We also have a cart for where it will work and that may surprise you where it does work.
1st trip is boned out meat in day packs and then back with the pack frames for the rest.
Foremost we are selective where we are willing to take an elk.
Passed up some elk due to being in a nasty spot, no regrets.

SonnyDay

WKR
Good call on maybe leaving the bones in the hinds for bone-in roasts. I've been so focused on saving weight that I hadn't thought as far ahead to the kitchen!

Maxhunter

WKR
I’m 63 and will be 64 this year. I hunt a lot solo. When I get an elk down I take a quarter with me before leaving the kill site. I stay in decent shape and use a stone glacier pack that has a built in meat shelf. It would nice to have friends around but that doesn’t always pan out.

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
All solid tips guys thanks alot for the overwhelming response. I definitely will cut distance down where needed. Found most of my elk within a 1/4 mile to 1/2 in most weird places....I don't leave the truck anymore without the poles. Never put any stock into them until I used a set helping pack a elk. Trekkers make all the difference in my Back and being stable.

I am 62 packed out many elk but as I got older, I changed my ways, now I not only debone my elk I take off all the fat and silver skin. I used to do this at home but then I have a mess at home, now my meats ready to package or grind when I get home, but I also only bring out what is the legal requirements, I have coolers with frozen ice jugs in to put he meat on. I don't cape any more just do skull mounts if I shoot a bull. If it's a smaller bull, then I skull plate it and leave the head. I make trips with around 40 pounds, and I don't hunt 9 miles in anymore. I know my limitations and don't go places I can't get one out. I still have the desire to do It and physical ability I just had to change how I do it, a little.

My son now that he is in college and cant do the sports thing as much is showing more interest, which makes me happy so I can't Waite just to go with him and be his guide and helper. I just love being out there in elk country and don't plan on stopping till my determination isn't enough.

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
I am 62 packed out many elk but as I got older, I changed my ways, now I not only debone my elk I take off all the fat and silver skin. I used to do this at home but then I have a mess at home, now my meats ready to package or grind when I get home, but I also only bring out what is the legal requirements, I have coolers with frozen ice jugs in to put he meat on. I don't cape any more just do skull mounts if I shoot a bull. If it's a smaller bull, then I skull plate it and leave the head. I make trips with around 40 pounds, and I don't hunt 9 miles in anymore. I know my limitations and don't go places I can't get one out. I still have the desire to do It and physical ability I just had to change how I do it, a little.

My son now that he is in college and cant do the sports thing as much is showing more interest, which makes me happy so I can't Waite just to go with him and be his guide and helper. I just love being out there in elk country and don't plan on stopping till my determination isn't enough.
I love every aspect,but my favorite is the silence..

Ron.C

WKR
ive done a few solo elk, last one was at 52. I'm 5'6 and 160 pounds so I need to be careful as its to easy to overdo it. Shot him at last light, hot early season. Took all night to get him dressed and packed out to vehicle access.

Regarding leapfrogging the load. I prefer this to when I know the best route (sometimes not the most direct route) to take. If you don't know the best route out and depending how far you have to go, if may be better (easier) to find that route on the first trip and know were to (an more importantly not to) go on the following trips. The last thing you want is leapfrog 4 quarters into a pecker pole blowdown jungle.

Regarding boning, There is elk bones are heavy. I see no reason to pack them out. like others have mentioned above, I will leave meat on the bone, bag it and bone out each quarter when I pack it for the haul out.

Lastly, be bruitally honest with yourself and your mimitations before you pull the trigger.

good luck

Everytime I do it I ask myself "why?" And once the last load is at the truck I think to myself " now that's an accomplishment" as I re-live the hunt. All the ups and downs and never quitting on the mountain.
I agree 100 percent. I always tell people I help never give up.

Beendare

WKR
I always do boneless…not lucky enough to kill one where I can get a vehicle close.

Depending on where it is, like in a deep dark hole for example….I will leap frog it up to an easier spot and pack into smaller loads. I don’t do 100# loads anymore due to a bad back my max is about 70# but I prefer lighter.

After getting that last load to the truck and into coolers sure feels good at that point, no matter how bad it was.
Yes that is a great feeling isn't it? I'm typically all smiles at that point. Hunting solo has so many benefits to my phsycy. It's just something that not everyone can or wants to do. My first elk which was my first bowhunt, I tried to get my deer hunting buddy's to go, to no avail. I've only hunted elk with others 3 other times. Not a knock on my friends in any way, but I sure do enjoy every aspect of solo. My first night ever in the backcountry was a little unnerving. I thought every bump in the night was a bear fixin to come into my tent. The next morning there were elk tracks all around my tent. I've never been bothered by the sounds of the night since. I'm so comfortable out there that I hate leaving.

chindits

WKR
I don’t always debone especially if I’m in a hurry.

I always leapfrog. Usually work late through the first night getting everything off the kill site and returning repeatedly to the same spot in the dark is easier if it’s a shorter walk. Also the shorter duration the kill site is left unattended the less chance that I’ll have scavenger problems.