Ok you old timers..... Explain to me how the Dana Design K2.....

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So just picked up a Dana Design K2 Shortbed backpack from another user. I was very curious about this thing. Got it today and start the stare down with it. This thing isn't as heavy as I thought. It is a tank though. I am wanting to figure out how to adjust it. So if anyone has experience with this lets hear it. Ive scoured the internet and found lots about how badass the K2 Shortbed frame is and how wonderful it carries but not a lot about the adjustments. I even tried Wayback on the Mystery Ranch site. didn't have much luck there. Anyone ever modernized the k2 Short/long bed frames I know I can get a Kifaru belt on it with the Lumbar pad it has it should work nicely. But the torso adjustment has me going hmmmm? Any input is welcome and if you can find me the adjustment manual for the Dana Design K2 Shortbed on the internet I may even send a present your way.

Appreciate the assistance. I know some of you guys have used the heck out of this pack who can school me on how to adjust it? Those darn Fiberglass rods just don't make a lot of sense to me =)

I'm not sure I qualify as an old timer yet (34), but did wear out a K2 in my younger days. Nothing rocket science about them. Torso adjustment was a velcro strap through a slots in the back fabric. Moves the whole shoulder harness up and down. No problem.

The fiberglass wands just need pulled snug at the belt after everything else is fitted. They are supposed to spread the load to the sides of the belt, but IMO the don't really don't do much other than help with pack sway. Generally, the whole thing is a bit complicated. They were a big jump over the old Kelty type frame pack, but pretty well outdated now.

After I wore out the original harness, I bolted up a Barneys harness and found it to be a comfort improvement.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up of craigslist for $30, it was only missing one of the pins, which I have a few spares so no big issue.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So here is my thought. I love these packs. Im not putting the Kifaru down for it but I want to send this over to David to have him redo and modernize the Harness/suspension system. Thinking I can get this to be very comfortable with heavy loads and have a true one of a kind if David can work it out. YK Thank you for the post.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
So here is my thought. I love these packs. Im not putting the Kifaru down for it but I want to send this over to David to have him redo and modernize the Harness/suspension system. Thinking I can get this to be very comfortable with heavy loads and have a true one of a kind if David can work it out. YK Thank you for the post.

I'm interested in how this will turn out, you care to update this thread when it's finished?

LBFowler

WKR
The most info on these resides on the HPG forum, but most people over there where swapping to HPG harness and belt, which simplifies the torso adjustment immensely.

I've had two of these, for me the load lifter height just isn't tall enough for big loads, anything over 50lbs sucked, be it kifaru/dana/hpg suspension. The wands seem like a great idea but for me they mostly moved hotspots to the front of the belt rather then get rid of any. Conceptually I am a big fan but I also didn't like trying to attach some things to the curved frame, flater load haulers (kifaru/SG/MR/SO/Exo) are more convenient in this regard.

If the new HPG external is designed like I think it is it should fix most of my complaints about the Dana.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently using a shortbed. Got the older black shoulder harness. Used a HPG belt first. Moved to a kifaru now. I also scored a newer shortbed with the grey harness. Just put that on. I'm currently running a CP with pouches. Heading out for a moose hunt on Wednesday night. Hoping it works out as planned. Pretty stripped at this point.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently using a shortbed. Got the older black shoulder harness. Used a HPG belt first. Moved to a kifaru now. I also scored a newer shortbed with the grey harness. Just put that on. I'm currently running a CP with pouches. Heading out for a moose hunt on Wednesday night. Hoping it works out as planned. Pretty stripped at this point.

Got any pics of the setup?

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
c564d298d8753a281a8e65d048dc3859.jpg
fe2797c460e82e8a1f862946feb17b69.jpg
f1b5b9d401a0bc1fba4526e8d1b2c0e7.jpg

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Had two rows of PALS added to lumbar support. Not impressed with workmanship.
aeacd13e341ac173bd13e1bcbb02d489.jpg

Had them add grommets to a couple straps.
166a468f59be764166e85049dff78c52.jpg

Also had them add hook velcro to the Kifaru belt to engage the Dana lumbar pad. Will add poly stiffener to the belt tomorrow to keep it from rolling up. Wands seems difficult to manage at this point. I tied cord to temporarily suspend them mid span instead of pushing against the CP attachment. Not sure how that will work. Also plan to shorten the top bar and insert it further in the frame.
It's a work in progress. Don't judge too harshly.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Good stuff Colby. Thanks for sharing. Was hoping to really get this thread going for some ideas for when I get mine ready for its make over. David should have a lot of fun with this. Will be after this month before I have him start it.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
My ultimate goal is to add a panel to the frame itself to act as a base for my CP. Having no structure there is a big question mark for this system.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
In my most recent experience with carrying a 60lb load a few times this week with my stripped down Dana, I've discovered that the magic wands are indeed a bit pointless when utilizing a kifaru belt. There seems to be too much play in the belt attachment to pull the wands where they need to go in order to move the weight away from your shoulders. It also could be that I have ZERO hips. Lost a few pounds last week and just about bottomed out a size small kifaru belt. Seriously looking forward to what everyone else does with these packs. I will be removing the wands to shed additional weight, and reconfiguring my pocket setup on my CP. Overall, the grey shoulder harness was comfortable, and I had zero issues with my frankenpack.

chopchop

FNG
Not sure if this helps, but:
ojvEnrJ.jpg

TaHkG5o.jpg

I've only hauled relatively light camping loads in mine (<45lbs), but for me the magic wands did give some lift if they were flexed like a bow. No flex, no lift. To work, they had to be fixed to the crossbar where the top of the harness was and then bent around the side of the frame from the back using the straps on the belt. When they were flexed like that, it felt like I had somebody lifting up on the packbag from behind, not a lot... but I could feel a difference.

The frames came in different sizes, which made a difference on how the suspension attached. For example, I had a large framed shortbed and a medium framed longbed. The shortbed had the load lifter straps attach to buckles on the bag that would give a higher angle when the top bar was on. The longbed lower suspensions were attached to the bag. You'd have to cut or rig something to carry the frame without it. The short bed bag comes off, no problem... so long as the load lifters are where you need them. I used to run mine around the top bar and back through a 3bar buckle to get a higher angle.

I don't know if I have any pic's or not.

nickstone

WKR
Here's a link to some more info.
Dana Design

I have a terraframe that I still use. Colby I really like your setup with the CP.

On my harness there is a wide strap that goes down the center, it has velcro on it, if you pull it to release it you can move the harness up and down vertically.

There are also adjusters next to the yellow magic wands that you will need to relax or tension when you move the harness up or down.

Here's another shot of them on the bag side with the bag removed

This is the strap you pull to "engage" the magic wands. It should be relaxed when you put the pack on.

SHTF If you need anymore pics let me know. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with yours.

Last edited:

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I'm going to have to source out a harness and waist belt, the harness and belt that are one mine are a small, I'm 200 lb, so the fit isn't right. What do y'all suggested hill people gear?

I used a Kifaru belt for my buddy. Slipped the power rods into the slot pocket where the duplex would ride and it works great.

molon labe