10 shot Group, How do you aim?

Alright. I’ve been watching everyone talk about 10 round groups for awhile now. I’m not too proud to ask for help and instruction how this is done. I tried some last weekend and found it difficult because I kept shooting out my point of aim.

So, those of you that do this a lot please enlighten me how you do this.
- I can dial X amount so I don’t hit the POA but that sort of defeats the purpose of confirming exact zero with 10 shots.
- I can use a larger point of aim that maintains some form of usability when shot up but I aim and shoot much better at small non round targets

Any input about when you take a break for mirage or regaining focus is welcome as well.

ozyclint

WKR
Never done this 10 round thing before but just use some other part of the reticle as your aim point. For my duplex reticle I would use the bottom post and use it as point of aim and impact point will be higher at the zero range.
Your only testing group size not trying to hit the bullseye.

ozyclint

WKR
I shoot MPBR and hold over. (Yeah it used to be a thing) At 100m my impact point will be above the cross hair so the group never shoots out the aim point that the cross hair sits on.

robtattoo

WKR
If you're shooting out your POA, you're good. No need to do that any more. You only need to establish your group size once (or if you're experimenting with a new load) after that, go to shooting individual spotss at varying ranges.

I use targets that have other features which align with the horizontal and vertical crosshairs. This way you're ensuring your rifle is level and will be "registered" at the same POA regardless of how shot out it is.

Adjust your sight to shoot off your point of aim. For example, 2 inches high …
and then after shooting your group, adjust your sight back to the zero.
You've written down the original offset, and the scope tracks well, right?

Althma

FNG
If you’re shooting 10 rounds to confirm zero, then aim at a target. If you shoot it out, great.

If you’re shooting >10 rounds to see true cone size, dial off the target and go to town.

SDHNTR

WKR
Maybe brag more? Geesh, shooting out the point of aim, I hate it when that happens! Holes on top of holes, how terrible. Sell that gun!

Couple options here that let you still center up if you shoot out the POA.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you have something like 25x or more on the scope?

Shoot 10 shots on 10 target spots.

You can put 1/2 stickers (or whatever size but if you are shooting out the aim point with ten to small) on a sheet of blank paper and shoot one shot on each. It all the holes are at least half on the dot, you are done.

If not, you can see your group by looking at them. If the widest point in the group is under an inch, the gun is good to go. Measure the two that fall outside the dot to see the max dispersion.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I print my own targets such that the actual "Bullseye" is 0.3MIL (1.08inches) above my POA.

This way I maintain a crisp POA while shooting ragged holes :cool:

Last edited:

Eleven

FNG
If you're shooting out your POA, you're good. No need to do that any more. You only need to establish your group size once
This^^ The point of a ten round group is to understand the true cone of accuracy of that particular load/rifle combo. If you are shooting out the POA, I think you just figured out that the cone is pretty good. plus, even if the center is shot out of your POA you can still center the reticle on the center of the group.

Legend

WKR
I aim 4 shots down the middle. Then the next 6 about 3 inches higher than the target. Always makes my 10 shot group look better.

OP
doverpack12
Thanks for the ideas. I was after true cone size but also trying to confirm center of the 10 shots was dead on center of aim.