Backpack design philosophies

I I am under the weather at the moment so decided to post my thoughts and experiences having used the top three backpack companies extensively multiple times due to being a gear junkie like many others on here. A lot of this comes down to what your preferences you have. I have found that none of the top packs check all the boxes.

Exo:
Minimalist philosophy, load shelf, comfort and a tapered bag design. Like Kifaru their lumbar padding is what separates them. If you like cushy and comfortable this is it. For me it was on the softer side however they fix that by making a denser foam. I still like the bag lay out the best of all companies but I just can’t get over the tapered design. I do not use quilts, I used down sleeping bags and they just don’t fit that well in the bottom of EXO‘s. EXO recommends stuffing sleeping bags without a stuff sack and you will find a bunch of articles on rokslide about this but I just don’t like it. It’s annoying to get caught in a rain storm and have to take all your stuff out to put your stuff back on a dry sack or garbage bag.

I think the biggest thing you’ll notice if you look at all the articles; EXO seems to be the only company that pushes folks to a smaller pack size. And I have have done just that. Stone glacier and Kifaru I always bought at least a 6000 in.³ pack minimum. Exo I got the 4800. If I got another Exo I would go with the bigger packs. When I’m on the move I just don’t like playing Tetris with my food and gear and I got 8 days out of my 4800. Exo seems to be the only company that changes designs the most. That’s for you to decide, some could say that’s not good because their design wasn’t that good to begin with, others could say they are evolving better than their competition.

Kifaru:
Carries heavyweight really well, we’ll be on the heavier side on average probably 2 pounds heavier than most of the other packs once you add a lid. I just don’t like the design of the bags as much and it is extremely strappey. Although they do have a load shelf it honestly isn’t good. It attaches at the bottom of the frame; therefore putting the load low on your back. It’s just not as streamed lines as the others. Again, along with Exo the lumbar pad and hip belt for that matter is arguably the best.

Stone Glacier:

This is the pack i always come back to and have used the most. Best load shelf in the business. So if that is important to you SG is money. Exo is faster to get to but that’s where it ends. Also the integrated load shelf comes with the pack and you do not have to pay extra like you do with Exo or Kifaru. Makes pack training a breeze. I think SG is a great pack probably isn’t as durable as Kifaru, but has a life time warranty so I wouldn’t be scared.

As mentioned above, Exo and Kifaru have a big cushy lumbar pad and SG takes a different approach. It’s low profile and dense. Definitely not ass comfortable but hauls really well and is the pack that stays up on my hips the best. If you have lower back issues SG might not be the best for you.

Hopefully this rambling will help someone trying to decide. As many of us will say on here If you can try them all that's alwaye the best policy.

All 3 companies offer 30 day money back returns as long as pack is still in new condition. All 3 offer life time warranties. Happy to answer any other questions.

Adam

hunterjmj

WKR
Good write up. I have no experience with SG or Exo but have several Kifaru packs. The thing I learned was proper fitment is key to making it ride comfortably especially with weight. Don't just throw it on out of the box and call it good. I ran a long hunter many years before I adjusted it properly and it was a world of difference.

sr80

WKR
good stuff fins_n_tines, i agree with your thoughts on the SG and kifaru. Ive had a couple different kifarus and they are comfortable but cannot stand their bag designs and layouts. SG wins for me everytime. But that new K4 looks like a good mix of sg and kifaru. As in a comfortable belt/frame and great bag layout.

I liked the write up. I was a fan of the exo, as I like smaller packs, but the tapered bottom drove me crazy as my pack always tipped over. I’ve used several Kifaru packs and don’t care for the excessive amount of extra strap length. I am sure if you cut out half of the strap length you’d save at least $100 in material and probably $30 in shipping weight. I just got a SG pack, putting it together it is simple and seems legit, more to follow after I actually use it. I usually use a Mystery Ranch pack, I have a Guide Light frame with a modified CrewCab that gets the most use. I have found that frame fits me the best, but my pack choice requires me to get creative for longer trips.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My kifaru pack was like 10lbs empty and had straps everywhere, it was really unpleasant to use and get a load set up.

Once all the BS was taken care of, it carried great but you’d have to deal with the whole rodeo again just to get rain gear or something out of it.

Those muskeg bags seemed to me to be ideal but then they stopped making those too.

Now I have a SG 7900 and it’s much easier to use than the kifaru and allows me access to other gear without undoing the entire bag. Additionally, kifaru shipping prices are just too high to deal with.

To add to all that, I had a very unpleasant experience with kifaru when I ordered my first pack from them.

All 3 companies offer 30 day money back returns as long as pack is still in new condition. All 3 offer life time warranties. Happy to answer any other questions.
this is the key imo if you want to be sure. otherwise you're always thinking, is that pack better? what about that one? just order all 3 and figure it out, it's like boots the fit will be unique. load a 50 lb bag of concrete wrapped in a towel in the load shelf and the bag with big water bottles. walk around the house. one will feel best to you. The SG xcurve fits me really well and the load sling keeps whats in the load shelf higher and more comfortable for me so that's what i use.. The kifaru belt is also fantastic. get a pirateship shipping account to save on return shipping

OP
F
My kifaru pack was like 10lbs empty and had straps everywhere, it was really unpleasant to use and get a load set up.

Once all the BS was taken care of, it carried great but you’d have to deal with the whole rodeo again just to get rain gear or something out of it.

Those muskeg bags seemed to me to be ideal but then they stopped making those too.

Now I have a SG 7900 and it’s much easier to use than the kifaru and allows me access to other gear without undoing the entire bag. Additionally, kifaru shipping prices are just too high to deal with.

To add to all that, I had a very unpleasant experience with kifaru when I ordered my first pack from them.
I commented on another post about customer service that stone glacer, in my experience, has been the best. I had Exo right up there, but due to being a smaller company there are times during say hunting season that maybe getting an answer or return email takes a little longer. I hate to penalize them for that, but SG just has no office seasons.

Last edited:
I've used SG forever and have been happy, but I find myself wishing they had a 24" frame option. I carry alot of my height in my torso but prefer my waist belt pretty high, that's probably why. When stalking uphill the 26" frame seems to limit my mobility looking up. It has me shopping other brands

OP
F
I do think a lot of folks are waiting to see the Exo K4 that should be released by March 2023. based on the photos it looks to check a lot of boxes. A mix between kifaru and stone glacier.