Ok, shortest rifle shot?

Pueblo

FNG
Imagine Larry D Jones in Nevada in about 1985 as he shoots a buck from 5 yards....except this ones little and I'm holding a Model 600 Remington in .308. I walked up to a rim he was bedded under and took him on the last day of the hunt. This is the last time I ever shot a rifle in (1990). After this I figured I could do it with bow.

PuebloRifle.jpg
[/IMG]

kcm2

WKR
Javelina 4 yds. Mule deer 10 yds. Elk 20 yds. All rifle kills. Shortest bow kill on a big game animal, 8 yds.

I once missed a Dall's sheep at 9 yds. Did see a white tuft of fur fly. Luckily for me he stopped and turned broadside at 50 yds. Exit wound the size of a volley ball.

Yes, Robby, I did figure it out. I know exactly what happened. I gave up on the stalk. (Mistake #1 NEVER give up). I was stomping across a gully after hiking up hill after him for two hrs, wrongally assuming he had left the country. Turns out he was sitting in the same spot for the last 3 hrs. I spooked him out of his bed. Had I thrown my rifle, I would have had a better chance. He jumped up & I shot from the hip. It was a knee jerk reaction. Saw a white tuft fly off his back. Recovered my senses in time to see him run across the draw & stare at me w/ a very perplexed look. 50 yrds & I was able to come to my senses.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hilarious! Love the hip shot on a sheep- first one I've heard of.

You're so right. Never give up on a stalk. I'd have a few big deer if I could get that through my head.

I like the sheepfreak handle, what brings about the name? Do you have sheep threads on Rokslide somewhere?

Sheep have a hold on me. I spend all year thinking about them, wishing it was Aug. I get bummed if the hunt only takes a few days. It's my passion. Sometimes when people find out I'm into sheep they will say,"That sheep hunting must be hard work." I just look at them and reply,"Sheep hunting is easy. Going to work the other 50 weeks of the year is hard."
I love being in the mts where they reign. Watching them do their dominence displays. Lambs playing w/ each other, head butting mama from behind. Watching the regal monarch feeling untouchable in his high alpine bowl, while I'm settling the cross hairs on him from above. I like spending 3 hrs climbing a slope that only takes a sheep 10 minutes. Very humbling to know that I am just a puny human.
And they taste great!+=

Plus, Sheepfreak kinda rolls off the tounge.
I was happy to discover RokSlide. And even happier to see an entire section dedicated to sheep. Keep up the good work.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes when people find out I'm into sheep they will say,"That sheep hunting must be hard work." I just look at them and reply,"Sheep hunting is easy. Going to work the other 50 weeks of the year is hard."

Thanks Sheepfreak, those are great reasons to love sheep hunting. glad you like the idea of a sheep forum. Keep it full with your experiences as we'd all love to hear about them.

Do you know how to post pics? We'd love to see them.