Offline Maps in OnX not working sometimes

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
Some times my offline maps in OnX do not work. The map is a little fuzzy and it wont show the boundaries or owner info. I put my phone on airplane mode just to keep it from trying to get service, but that didn't help. Anyone else have this issue?

I have a issue where anytime I get out of the app while tracking my tracks and waypoints disappear. I used to love the app but will be trying to get a refund as it's just not been reliable for me anymore. I have deleted the app and reinstalled but that didn't help. Also have had the drop a pin at my location feature be off by a 1/⁴ mile. I think they have added too many features

I always check for an update before going offline, and avoid getting service once in the field. I've experienced numerous failures when there is an available update that I did not check for/download. OnX seems to prefer dropping updates in the middle of hunting season.

It is infuriating but that is the only way I feel I can semi-rely on the app. I always carry a backup (map/compass or garmin) because OnX has failed me many, many times.

Some times my offline maps in OnX do not work. The map is a little fuzzy and it wont show the boundaries or owner info. I put my phone on airplane mode just to keep it from trying to get service, but that didn't help. Anyone else have this issue?
I just had the same problem this last weekend. Not sure what causes it

I’ve been having a lot of trouble with onX loading for a couple weeks now. Updated my app and nothing changed. My brother can stand next to me in the woods with his onX working 100% and my won’t load.

My downloaded maps will be working fine but then I'll apply an update and eventually something will be wrong with them (layers won't show like land ownership or trails). So now every time I update I wipe all my downloaded maps and re-download. I think they've released three iOS updates since late August. Infuriating. I won't be relying on OnX next season.

Had this happen while 8 miles from a road on a summer hiking trip. I dropped out of airplane mode to check for texts from a high ridge and offline mode stopped working. Blank maps, though i could still see my position relative to waypoints i had saved ahead of time.

However, i managed to hike to a spot with data 3g and it started working again after that. Makes me wonder if the app phones home to verify something?

In any case, i always check for updates before leaving and now ill be leaving it in airplane mode while in the backcountry. Might be time to look into basemaps. Sucks when you pay all that money for an Elite membership to have it fail on you when it matters most!

Just a suggestion.....make sure to turn off/shut down the app on your phone first. Then, switch to airplane -mode. After that is settled in, open-up the OnX app again. It seems to me that if it starts trying to connect via cell service, than that's when things go a little wonky. I've been using the app for quite a while and this seems to work for me.

I gave up completely on ONx because of this type of issue. It seems to never work when you actually need it to. i have moved to GAIA GPS and have never had this type of issue since.

I had problems with it last week as well. Layers on my map weren't working, couldn't measure distances on the map. Checked to see if there was an update and there was not. If I have issues during my elk hunt it will be time to move to something else.

Just a suggestion.....make sure to turn off/shut down the app on your phone first. Then, switch to airplane -mode. After that is settled in, open-up the OnX app again. It seems to me that if it starts trying to connect via cell service, than that's when things go a little wonky. I've been using the app for quite a while and this seems to work for me.
Thank you.

I just started using OnX 3-4 weeks ago. All I have to compare it with is Garmin's gpsmap 66i and the basemaps program. My experience has been completely opposite. I had a few app related problems that were quickly resolved. The OnX blows away Garmin in every category, most importantly the customer support department is what really impressed me with OnX. I hope they continue to develop more tracking features in the future.

I had all my offline maps disappear a few months ago. Couple of e-mails to OnX and they didn't hear of that before but looked into it and kept me in the loop and asked questions, good customer service. Waypoints stayed just maps gone. Never got them back but not that big of a deal since I still have waypoints.

The same thing kept happening to me this past archery season in California. It seemed that after 24-48 hours, my layers would disappear and I would no longer be able to see private property lines. Not only did I get the latest update, but I also re-downloaded all of my maps again only to have it keep happening. The private property layer would re-appear once I was able to connect online again.

The other issue I ran into was that even though I had cell service, I was not able to connect to OnX where as previously I was able to. Only once I had a WiFi connection did the maps update

Back