Offline Maps in OnX not working sometimes

wapitibob

WKR
The only time I have seen offline maps not fully loading is when onX is open and tracking, then I take phone out of airplane mode, with limited to no service, then go back to onX; some of the maps have been “unloaded” for lack of a better explanation. Putting the phone back into airplane mode and going back to onX, onX works as it should and all offline maps are visible. I did this yesterday on a hunt after seeing this thread. This is on iPhone XR.

Yooper

WKR
I had so many similar issues with mine that I quit using it and didn't re-subscribe. I couldn't rely on it at all. I'm back to using my Garmin full time. Might eventually try one of the other GPS apps down the road.

I have a love hate relationship with OnX. The app has worked great at times, other times it has failed miserably. Like others have mentioned, I use it as my primary GPS but also have a backup plan in place always. I am not sure I am going to renew my subscription next year.

As mentioned, once everything is set and downloaded, I keep it from trying to connect to cell service. It does seem to get funky when that happens. I was in Wyoming last week hunting elk and my "high res" 5mile maps were all downloaded. I checked them before I left and all was good. Out in the field, they all became "low res" maps. Not a massive deal but still the crap that bugs me because it never seems to just work flawlessly. Problem is there arent many alternatives out there. I do still like looking at a paper map though so may just go back that way

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had this issue with offline maps on OnX and Google Maps. My assumption is that it’s a caching-type problem with my phone (iPhone). If I open up both apps right before I lose service things seem to be ok. If I open it for the first time out in the wild then the offline maps never seem to load. I’ve been relying on the Garmin Earthmate app since I got my inReach.

dtrkyman

WKR
Had similar issue, just had to make sure I was in offline mode, seemed to happen after checking for a signal to text periodically, even though I didn’t manually change it, it seems to automatically go to online mode once you get a signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is my first year using OnX and i love it but did have issues on our elk hunt. Downloaded maps for the area we were going to be huning and it worked good for a day then all the trails disappeard! Luckily i was with 2 other guys and theirs didn't screw up, next day we had to go to town for more ice and once we got service it straighten out. mine continued to work for the rest of the trip but the no trails thing happened to one of the other guys we were with the next day. would be very frustrating if you were bush wacking by yourself and trying to get back to a trail!

Zsyacsure

FNG
My buddy and I just got back from Idaho on a 10 day elk hunt and onX was a mess from day one. While off grid onX stopped showing public and private, trails and the gps wasn’t tracking.

We are not to happy with onX to say the least...

Sled

WKR
Reviving this old thread because I started to have this issue after the last update. Any other attempted fixes for this?

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I hiked some areas in the Black Hills that required offline mode 2 weeks ago. No issues, no missing map even after I summited a peak and sent a text. In the meantime im trying a few other apps in the field when i hike the bighorns this august.