Gaia, Basecamp, OnX, GPS?

Jfish

FNG
Done several searches still have some questions? Been using a GPS and OnX for yrs. Familiar with Gaia. Like the property lines w OnX but seems glitchy when out of cell service range even with offline maps? Hoping to eliminate some gear and prefer one device for Nav. Have a few questions if anyone can help?
1. Can you get property lines with a Gaia subscription ?
2. Is there an easy method of transferring waypoint from a Garmin GPS to Gaia?
3. Do they offer a Basecamp App for iPhones? Can’t seem to find it?
4. Using newer model IPhone and Androids. Compared to an Oregon say 600 or newer Garmin how accurate is the GPS positioning when used on a phone?

PS. Not super text savvy so please type slow…….😁

If anyone wants to list pros and cons regarding these platforms I’m all ears?
thanks

Jethro

WKR
#1 and 2 have been answered.

#3 Its BaseMap, not Basecamp. Which is why you can't find it in app store. BaseMap offered for iphone.

#4 They're accurate to get you where you want to go and find what you're looking for. My phone is not as pin point accurate as my Garmin handhelds were. That thing would take you to an exact spot.

#5 99% of the time the OnX cell service/offline glitch is operator error.

I have OnX and Gaia. They both work. I prefer OnX.

#1 - yes
#2 - yes

Can't help you with 3, 4.
Yep.

I use OnX for deer hunting in Missouri because it has the crop layer.

I prefer Gaia for everything else. More and better map layers, and can mix and match layers really well.

OP
Jfish

Jfish

FNG
Thanks for the intel. In areas with no cell service OnX has failed or has difficulty loading Maps? Several guys in camp have had same issue? Of Course I won’t know for sure about other platforms until tried? Seems like if there is a (as Jethro says) only 1% chance for failure I get it!

Additional Research over on apple forums seems to indicate that iPhones do have stand alone gps chip set but also rely on cell data for support. It works without cell but not as quick or accurate as full on gps units. Some talk about the iPhone 14 may be an improvement? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Additional Research over on apple forums seems to indicate that iPhones do have stand alone gps chip set but also rely on cell data for support. It works without cell but not as quick or accurate as full on gps units. Some talk about the iPhone 14 may be an improvement? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Don’t know about that. I have been in airplane mode for 3-4 days and GPS was accurate.

Jethro

WKR
In areas of poor/weak/no cell service, Onx struggles deciding between using data or offline maps. If in such an area, or even just traveling through good to poor to no cell coverage, if you want to use Onx, must put your phone in airplane mode first, then open Onx. When I remember to do that, my offline maps perform flawlessly. Same results for everyone in my camp.

I have not found Gaia to be as finicky regarding cell service strength.

Rimrocks

FNG
I have used 3 of the mentioned apps. Currently using BaseMap they have the clearest sat. Images of the areas I am interested in. Make sure you compare in the areas you will be using them in. One app was off by 100 plus feet on property lines while the other was under 10 off of a fresh survey. Yes they use the same info. Yes it shouldn’t work that way. But in real use it does.

I have used 3 of the mentioned apps. Currently using BaseMap they have the clearest sat. Images of the areas I am interested in. Make sure you compare in the areas you will be using them in. One app was off by 100 plus feet on property lines while the other was under 10 off of a fresh survey. Yes they use the same info. Yes it shouldn’t work that way. But in real use it does.
Have you tried adding Google Maps to Gaia?

I believe BaseMap uses Google Maps so it should be the same.

Rimrocks

FNG
Have you tried adding Google Maps to Gaia?

I believe BaseMap uses Google Maps so it should be the same.
I added Google, on Gaia. but the resolution was not nearly as good. OnX was some better quality but still not as good as BaseMap. Interestingly the dates of the images on BaseMap were older images but higher res. Could be the image quality was user error too!

614D05AB-D9E3-4E00-BB56-884B45FC68C8.png

11B5233C-645E-4E20-96F9-D8BCE9D25DD7.png

7C1C3A9A-A288-49D2-BC4E-2D030041A277.png

349DACF7-8776-4F9E-BFBF-6E43A4198914.png

2C48DEDD-579D-4855-956C-83BA9B9435BC.png

1. Google Maps
2. Gaia
3. OnX
4. Hunt Stand
5. Basemap

1, 4, and 5 appear to be the same. Gaia is lower quality but a current image. OnX is lower quality and at least a few months older than the rest. Kind of interesting.

The real test would be what they look like in offline mode because I think most of the apps don’t do highest resolution for satellite imagery due to file size.

OP
Jfish

Jfish

FNG
Ran into incorrect property lines last yr also. OnX was 100+ or so feet off on one boundary and appeared maybe 40’ off on another well established 100+yr old boundary.

Jethro

WKR
I added Google, on Gaia. but the resolution was not nearly as good. OnX was some better quality but still not as good as BaseMap. Interestingly the dates of the images on BaseMap were older images but higher res. Could be the image quality was user error too!
Rim, have you looked at Google on Gaia lately. Just wondering if you saw an improvement in clarity. It had been awhile since I used the Google layer and looked at it last week when another thread asked if it was working for everybody. The imagery was the most crisp and clear it has ever been. Blows away the other satellite images that are available from Gaia.

I have no explanation, you notice anything?

Rimrocks

FNG
No I switched to BaseMap in September. I think prefer using Gaia and May switch back to it in the future. I have had onX in the past, but OnX is quite a bit more expensive compared to the other options.

Rim, have you looked at Google on Gaia lately. Just wondering if you saw an improvement in clarity. It had been awhile since I used the Google layer and looked at it last week when another thread asked if it was working for everybody. The imagery was the most crisp and clear it has ever been. Blows away the other satellite images that are available from Gaia.

I have no explanation, you notice anything?
See my post above with the pic comparisons. Gaia is not as good as some others but better than OnX.

Gaia’s Mapbox Satellite imagery is garbage. If they ever block Google Maps, I’ll have to switch because Mapbox is basically unusable. Looks like imagery from 10-15 years ago.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
#4. I use an Android. Location is not nearly as accurate under tree cover. I don't get the "accuracy" like you do in a garmin but I have marked multiple tracks and points and come back later and be 30-40yds off. Not always, but enough to be aggravating in the dark trying to find a treestand or something marked in thick cover.

Jethro

WKR
See my post above with the pic comparisons. Gaia is not as good as some others but better than OnX.

Gaia’s Mapbox Satellite imagery is garbage. If they ever block Google Maps, I’ll have to switch because Mapbox is basically unusable. Looks like imagery from 10-15 years ago.
I agree. My google on Gaia was always pretty good but not great, but now looks awesome. The rest of the imagery has gotten terrible and I was thinking about dropping it. My renewal is in 3 days

#1 and 2 have been answered.

#3 Its BaseMap, not Basecamp. Which is why you can't find it in app store. BaseMap offered for iphone.

#4 They're accurate to get you where you want to go and find what you're looking for. My phone is not as pin point accurate as my Garmin handhelds were. That thing would take you to an exact spot.

#5 99% of the time the OnX cell service/offline glitch is operator error.

I have OnX and Gaia. They both work. I prefer OnX.
I have always used Gaia for overlanding but everyone I hunt with uses onX. What drives your preference for onX?