Offered a transfer to Williston ND?

Mojave

WKR
Looks like a nice place it’s a lateral. So I don’t lose any money. It looks like a really safe place compared to where we live now in Las Cruces New Mexico. The schools are better can’t see any downsides. Still going to apply to hunt Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah so what are you guys thinking? We are a very painful 2 hours from any fishing here and it sucks.

Oh for the guys from Florida yes i know it is cold.

jmez

WKR
I'm not sure you have any idea how cold it is in Williston. Have you ever lived anywhere around there?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Also live places or it’s wet and cold like Maine and Germany in Washington state in the Puget Sound

hunterjmj

WKR
Williston is great. We drive over there to get away sometimes and buy materials at Menards. It's just across the border from Montana. Looks to be a very nice town.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Williston is great. We drive over there to get away sometimes and buy materials at Menards. It's just across the border from Montana. Looks to be a very nice town.
I wish there was a Scheels there but I guess there is one in Billings and Bismark.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
You will be fine lol. I agree Fairbanks is way colder and darker.. Williston was the Wild West during the boom 💥. Now the western side of the state is fairly quite. North Dakota is a damn good state. Just lacking the mountains of the west. Not far though to SD,WY, ID,MT do who cares. Best of luck to you

jmez

WKR
You'll be fine then. Most have no clue, even through they have been through some "Midwest" winters!

I like Williston, have several friends there. Good upland hunting, good deer hunting, both muley and WT. Not far from the breaks, BIG deer and elk. Great fishing on the river. Not far from mtns in MT.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up 70 miles north of Williston. Left North Dakota 20+ years ago, but still have family in the area and get up there about once a year. As mentioned it gets cold, I can't compare to Fairbanks though. Plenty of fishing close by on the Missouri or a number of local lakes. Pheasant hunting in that part of the state is usually pretty good, if not great. Plenty of whitetail and mule deer options. If Scheels is important to you, there is one in Minot a couple hours east that is closer than Bismarck or Billings. I'm sure there are some other guys on here that probably have more current knowledge of the area. But feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

49ereric

WKR
Oil fields brings in all kinds of people some are not so nice. Not sure what it is like at the moment but during booms you have to be careful after dark.
housing used to be scarce. I worked out of Minot in January of 2013 when things were booming and lot service trucks going west to Willistons every morning cuz no housing.
I roughnecked in the area in the early 80’s.
used to get -40° back then.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
I have to go up there occasionally and it just seems like a shit hole.

I think I would rather live in Watford.
Yeah we are looking at all the options. Wife is a school teacher so Wherever she finds a job will live next to it

Williston has very cold windy winters, brace yourself. Due to the oil fields it has had an increase in crime in the last 10-15 years. The whole area of west North Dakota went through some growing pains during the last oil boom. The schools are generally good in North Dakota. You will be in an upland and waterfowling meca with the garrison reservoir south of town…. A little secret, the walleye fishing in the reservoir is WORLD CLASS. The deer hunting is also very good. If you are lucky you might draw a permit for mule deer or elk in the badlands west of town.. the trophy quality can be exceptional… Bismarck and Minot are 2 or 3 hours east of Williston and they are both much bigger towns with better services and more activities….. There are worse places to live and there are better places to live…..