Off season practice

Hello everyone,
I'm new to bowhunting and new to Rokslide. Bow season ended Dec. 8th for me. I have shot my bow once since. My question is to those seasoned archers out there, how often should one shoot their bow in order to retain muscle memory and skill set in preparation for Sept. Elk season?

I’m picking my bow up again after a 3 year hiatus. (Hunted exclusively with my rifle during that time). Starting this month through the end of August, my goal is 100 arrows/week. Most week nights I should be able to find time to fling 20 in the backyard. If not, I can make it up on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went 2 years on my compound....picked it up for a hunt in Dec....it was right on after a dozen arrows.

Bad example...I shoot a stick bow now and I have to practice twice a week to feel right with that bow.

A compound shooter can shoot less and stay sharp. Now, if you shoot a trigger finger release, shooting a lot can ingrain bad habits that actually make your shooting worse- target panic and such.

Everybody is different but personally I think the way you practice...... is as important as the practice.

I went 2 years on my compound....picked it up for a hunt in Dec....it was right on after a dozen arrows.

Bad example...I shoot a stick bow now and I have to practice twice a week to feel right with that bow.

A compound shooter can shoot less and stay sharp. Now, if you shoot a trigger finger release, shooting a lot can ingrain bad habits that actually make your shooting worse- target panic and such.

Everybody is different but personally I think the way you practice...... is as important as the practice.

That’s the key! I’d much rather shoot 50 quality arrows than 200 with some quality shots mixed in.

Some people have put in the work throughout the years to have the ability to not shoot consistently and still shoot well. Some have to work at it daily. Look up John Dudley’s School of Nock on YouTube. It’s a good regimented practice schedule working on different fundamentals

I shoot just about every day as long as the weather permits. A little rain or snow as well as wind under 10-15 mph doesn't stop me. But then I like it. No such thing as "good enough"

Last edited:
i slack off a bit after season but try to keep shooting. I start really increasing frequency 3 months before season and shoot multiple times a week prior to opening. I try to carry that through the end of season but with lower volume.

I would suggest year round practice. It will help you develop. Look into a winter league or some “train to hunt” type competitions if you want to ramp it up To the next level.

one other final thought, if you plan on doing anything with your set up - new release, new arrows, tune, restring, etc. - now is the time. Make whatever changes you are making so you will have time to work out the kinks well before season And avoid the rush of people trying to get their bow tuned 2 weeks before opener.

Hello everyone,
I'm new to bowhunting and new to Rokslide. Bow season ended Dec. 8th for me. I have shot my bow once since. My question is to those seasoned archers out there, how often should one shoot their bow in order to retain muscle memory and skill set in preparation for Sept. Elk season?
I like to shoot about 200 arrows a week until about a month before season. About a month before season I will put up a 3d target and take one arrow and shoot about 20 times. Pick a an odd ball range like 37 yards, shoot, walk down, grab the arrow and repeat. I do that to not over shoot but also take my time prepare myself mentally knowing that all I have is one shot.

Hello everyone,

I shoot as much as possible in the offseason and hardly ever shoot during the season any spare time I’m in the woods, last year I spent a couple months shooting in the basement with no sight working on form with the hinge and tension release and when I shot outside for the first time it made a noticeable difference

This is common since the compound came on the scene. You can't do this with a recurve and maintain any level of proficiency at all. But with a compound, taking months off is no big deal.

There are plenty of off-season shoots where I live. Indoor spots, outdoor field and 3D, etc. No reason to take time off unless you just want to.

Interesting. That's what I love about archery, it is an all year sport. I spend way more time with my bow than my hunting rifles. I'm going to attend more 3D shoots this year. I'm really looking forward the NW Mtn. Challenge at Hoodoo in the spring:)

I like running the 3D and Field courses at the range year round. Gets a little tricky when there's snow and ice all over, but the adrenaline you get from taking a fall isn't unlike what you get while chasing a big screaming bull. So the falls might actually help preparation.

I shoot year-round. This time of year, I shoot in my basement. Once Spring hits, I'll move things out doors and shoot in my driveway. I am also able to shoot at a buddy's farm a couple miles away from my house. This allows me long range practice. Rarely, do I shoot at the archery range unless it's on their video set up.

I'll shoot some year round. During the winter, will blind bale and work solely on form in the basement a few times a week. A couple week before the 3D season starts, will start to shoot about 20 arrows several times a week. Big believer of 20 well executed shoots with good form and concentration is a whole lot better then just slinging 100 arrows a day. Then try to shoot a couple 3D shoots a month Would probably shoot more 3D, but I also have a long range rifle habit. During the hunting season, I won't shoot much at all. If traveling a long distance to hunt, I'll bring a small target to confirm that nothing changed during the trip after setting up camp.

Hello everyone,

It depends on where you were at in terms of arrow volume leading into archery season, I have a special situation where I have convinced my old lady that there really isn't an offseason so I get to shoot a lot of arrows every day, but I am always finding things in my shot process to work on. I'm sure you could find a local winter league to take part in and you'll learn a lot about mental shooting technique from pounding paper or foam this time of year. GL

I have 23 yards from one end of my basement to the other. I am currently shooting every day I am home, 10-20 shots, but only 20 yards.
I've been doing this for about a month now, after being the guy that shoots a few arrows a day in the 2 weeks leading up to the season. My shooting has improved already.

I shoot at least a few arrows as often as I can. Lots of times that shooting 7 yards in my basement just to work on form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back