Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

Not to hijack the thread, or be too negative, but let's say the border doesn't open up in time for most of the hunts to occur this year. Does next year, assuming we return to normalcy, become the year of record book rams all over Canada?
No, one year will not transform a bunch of rams into mega trophies. Some places it will mean the residents take the older age class.

Last edited:
So do you think BC is working on tougher standards? I am scheduled for Stone's on Spet 13th in BC

There won't be tougher standards but most likely they won't relax them quick enough.

As a high school teacher I am just hoping that I can have my students back 5 days a week come September. Government language right now is that there is a 50/50 chance we have that. Sports for the fall is all but canceled. The government is being EXTREMELY cautious.

I could see the BC government doing everything in their power to prevent non-essential travel across the border right into the fall.

It's the Canadian governments jurisdiction for cross border travel of course BUT the BC government could choose not to sell tags to non-residents.

The BC government blocked Alberta residents from booking provincial campground spots for the whole summer. They don't even want travel within our own province. Hunt and fish local is the message we are getting.

It's crazy but I bet there is no non-resident hunting in the fall.

No, one year will not transform a bunch of rams into mega trophies. Some places it will mean the residents take the older age class.
Its gonna mean all the out of work sheep guides like me will be out hunting for ourselves, and without out of shape 65 year old clients to haul up the hills, success rates will go waaaaay up.

Well that answers that...just got call from outfitter they are cancelling hunt

What options are they suggesting? Curious how the dominos will fall for this year's hunters, and the hunters already on the books for the next two years.

Rootdoc, who were you hunting with? I talked with a few outfits a couple weeks ago about booking a hunt a couple years out and they were tentatively planning to bump everyone back a season if covid shut them down for a year.

Last edited:
That sucks man. We are all just sitting in wait now. At one point I thought there was no way my sept hunt would be cancelled.........now I’m just waiting on the call.

Final nail in the coffin. My end of July NWT Hunt is cancelled moved to 2022 with the hope they can fit me in next year. That’s a bit of a bummer as I was hoping everyone would be rolled back a year but each outfitter is doing the best that they can.

For those getting their hunts cancelled how are they being handled. Rolled back a year or skipping a year??

I was scheduled to participate in the BC Bike Race event in Vancouver up to Whistler, which was originally starting end of June through the first week in July. Got moved to the end of Sept due to COVID. They just announced last week, that they don’t foresee the government opening the borders until lathe fall early winter at best and therefore are canceling the race completely. In my opinion, there will be zero NR hunting this season in BC due to border closure to non-resident travel. Hope I am wrong but that’s the impression being given.

Final nail in the coffin. My end of July NWT Hunt is cancelled moved to 2022 with the hope they can fit me in next year. That’s a bit of a bummer as I was hoping everyone would be rolled back a year but each outfitter is doing the best that they can.

For those getting their hunts cancelled how are they being handled. Rolled back a year or skipping a year??

Who were you booked with for this year?

A well known and respected outfitter. No need to publish it. If you have worries because you are looking at outfitters PM me and I’ll let you know.

skipping a year; out to 2022

I’ll be rescheduled to an open place. Most likely won’t be till 2022. I’ve waited two years already. I wish they would bump the 22 clients to fit in 21. The 30 string alongs to prevent backlash has really been nice.

Back