Oddest place you've harvested an animal

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking back today and remembering the hunting past and I remember always finding deer INSIDE a giant culvert crossing in the middle of nowhere. Never harvested a buck but we always checked it and sometimes a couple does would run out. Got me thinking of the oddest places people have legally harvested or found animals. Any stories?

fatlander

WKR
A piece of land we used to coon hunt had an old dilapidated abandoned house on it. The roof fell in I’m guessing 50 years ago and a poplar tree started growing within the confines of the still standing walls. One night our coon hounds treed a coon in that tree. We walked through the front door and shot the coon from “inside” the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
The local State parks....and Blackhawk golf course [an exclusive residential community]

I used to do hog depredation for the state F&G.

_____

netman

WKR
Standing in flooded timber hunting ducks with water rising quickly. I through the timber and I see something white floating towards me. A short time later I can see there is two white bantam chickens standing on a piece of driftwood floating with the current. My lab Sparky is giving them the evil eye. Once they were within 25 yards or so Sparky is now giving me the evil eye. So I thought why not have some chicken for supper. Boom!

Squamch

WKR
Standing in flooded timber hunting ducks with water rising quickly. I through the timber and I see something white floating towards me. A short time later I can see there is two white bantam chickens standing on a piece of driftwood floating with the current. My lab Sparky is giving them the evil eye. Once they were within 25 yards or so Sparky is now giving me the evil eye. So I thought why not have some chicken for supper. Boom!

I saw this fancy chicken where I parked to get my rifle out of the case last weekend on my bear hunt. It looked pretty healthy.
20200418_070636.jpg

brushape

WKR
My dad has a nice buck picked out the day before archery opened but never could turn him up all morning. Mid afternoon he was reading a book on the porch and heard something moving around underneath the house. Out popped his target buck it had been bedded under the house directly under his feet in the shade the entire day

Suburbs of Fairfield co. Connecticut (home of Greenwich). Always interesting loading a deer into my truck...

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I use to shoot deer and turkey out our bathroom window on rainy days when I didn't feel like getting wet. I was probably 14 and shot a nice buck with a muzzleloader out the window and ruined my moms shower curtain with the black powder....never did that again.

Chased a bear off the mountain with the hounds into town. Police everywhere...bayed him under someone's house. Homeowner wanted us to kill it but police wouldn't let us.

• Banned
OP
R

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
I remember every year my best buddy's dad would always kill a buck in his yard. Rural neighborhood and everyone backed up to the woods. The neighbors hated it but he'd always wave and smile and offer anyone a beer as they watched him skin and gut his freezer meat.

3 of my biggest white tails, all upwards of 130", have been killed 300 yards from the road, in a field behind a couple houses, between 11am and 1pm.

All day sits over a bedding area thicket funnel in november never fail.

I seem to kill elk in more assumed places... measuring distance from the truck in miles, rather than yards.

Marble

WKR
2007, opening morning in camp. Hunting partner was taking forever. Snowed that night. Probably had 2 inches on the ground. Clouds were low and visibility was less than 100 yards. Standing to my campfire chair, thr clouds parted and the sage was suddenly crystal clear. I look in the distance and see a nice buck, outside the ears just looking at me. No range finder, but I guessed 475 yards. He dropped where he stood. Took an hour and half to find him in the sage.

Only deer I killed where I never left camp.

eamyrick

WKR
When I was a rookie cop I worked in an area where we had to shoot wounded deer every week. Big city with tons of deer in residential areas. I never kept any until one night a nice doe had a broken front leg. It was really cold and after I finished the doe I put her in the back of the patrol car and went to the Tetco to get a cheap cooler and ice. Found a dark parking garage and dressed the deer out on a landscape boulder. As I was pulling out, my headlights hit the trail where I drug the deer out of the patrol car. Looked like a murder for sure.

Suburbs of Fairfield co. Connecticut (home of Greenwich). Always interesting loading a deer into my truck...

I shot (bow hunting) a nice little buck in Valhalla NY about 30 miles as the crow flies from grand central station. Best I could do was park in the nearest cul de sac and the pack out included about a 3/4 mile drag with the last 150 yards being around the perimeter of outfield of a baseball field in a local park. Fortunately it was early AM on a Sunday and late Fall so no baseball to speak of. I heaved that buck into my truck bed just as some dude was walking up to me with his dog. I waved and jumped in and drove off. He didn’t look like he knew what to think of me.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed deer inside the city limits of Atlanta. Can see people walking their dogs and working in their yards from the stand. I videoed my buddy kill a deer about 200 yards behind a grocery store about a mile from a big college. There was 9 deer inside 40 yards when he killed it. I’ve hunted coastal island of georgia where the only way there is by boat and have had some great success.

Jacack

WKR
Shot a few whitetail at a cemetery bow hunting years ago. They crossed through it to get to a larger track but spent most evenings out in the open cemetery feeding. Got permission to hunt the edge of the cemetery and set a stand .

My place is backed up to forest land. Get deer and elk in yard periodically, never shoot them ( not hunting IMO ) . After about 14 year here I stepped out to see a bear in my orchard. Thought that’s cool never seen one in my yard. Next day I had an pear tree just torn apart. Not so cool!! Few days later as I was getting ready for work out walk a bear, step out on porch and shot it. Was not the bear I had seen originally so I got second tag and went looking on hillside above the house with no luck.
Now I cover days off for night shift. About a week later I got home Saturday morning after covering nights Wednesday , Thursday, and Friday. Did the stripping clothes as l walked through the house heading for bed. I was out cold when I hit the pillow. Twenty minutes later my wife wakes me up telling me there’s another bear in the orchard. Stepped out on porch in nothing but my boxers and shot the second one. Definition of a redneck😁!! When I told the taxidermist this story he asked if I was going to eat them. When I said yes his response “ looks like you are going to get your pears back”

About 5 years ago, I shot a javelina about 1/4 mile from a housing development. Shot was a little back and I blood trailed him to an underpass on a road in the neighborhood. The blood trail went right into an 18" storm drain culvert. I hiked up the embankment and there was a storm drain in the curb with a man hole cover on it. A quick sniff confirmed that the javelina was indeed in there. I called a buddy of mine, who happens to be a fish cop and he came and assisted me. I popped the manhole cover, used a quad ramp to get my self down in the drain and that's when all hell broke loose.

The javelina started chomping his teeth at me and I quickly learned that my shot was not as fatal as I thought. This pig was pissed and started back down the drain pipe that he entered. I quickly climbed out of the drainage and down the embankment to meet the javelina at the storm pipe entry. He jumped out of it and I put an arrow right in the boiler room. About 50 yards later and 4 hours from my first shot, the damn pig was finally dead.

HDwild

WKR
This last season some buddies went back to camp early one day and started partying. One dude walked out to the edge of the timber outside of camp to take a poop. Mid-poop he looks up and sees a herd of elk less than 50 yards from him, he pinched it off and crawled to get a bow but spooked the herd.

They made a bow hanger on the tree next to the poopin hole after that hahaha

rclouse79

WKR
I went grouse hunting in college and after walking a 5 mile loop I ended up shooting the one and only grouse of the trip 100 yards from where I parked. Figures.