NRL Hunter setups good for actual hunting?

Blaw

WKR
whats peoples thoughts?
shooting off tripod and bag?
vs clipping into tripod?
sitting around 12 -16 lbs for rifles?
large tripods?

i like the idea of shooting off a bag AND glassing off one on the tripod...but clipping in you can set it and forget it...the bag your rifle could fall over lol

anyway random morning thoughts

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't want my NRL/PRS rifles for hunting only because they are heavy, but damn they sure are more pleasant to shoot. Seems like alot of guys carry a V for the tripod that clips into the arca rail, but i haven't done that yet. I always find a way to lay prone if I'm in a hunting application as well and use my pack as a rear bag of sorts in conjuction with my bipod.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
whats peoples thoughts?
shooting off tripod and bag?
vs clipping into tripod?
sitting around 12 -16 lbs for rifles?
large tripods?

i like the idea of shooting off a bag AND glassing off one on the tripod...but clipping in you can set it and forget it...the bag your rifle could fall over lol

anyway random morning thoughts

I clip into my tripod for hunting and NRL comps. My hunting rifles typically weigh about 7.5-10 lbs but are similar to my comp rifles.

I carry a heavy tripod hunting, depending on the day. If I'm backpacking, I carry a lighter one.

My NRL hunter rifle would be under 10 lbs if I didn't already have a very heavy barrel on it. After I burn it out, I'll be going lighter again, and it will be exactly like my hunting rifles.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think there's a lot of different hunting styles out there which will cause the data to vary. Personally I have no issue packing my big tripod around the mountains and a 12 lb rifle but others will have different opinions. My NRL hunter setup is the exact same rifle as I take into the backcountry with the exception of caliber. The only thing I use during hunter matches that I don't while hunting is a sand filled gamechanger bag and my send it level. While hunting I just clamp into the tripod so I don't have to carry the additional weight.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll hunt with a 10-14 pound gun all day over something real light. Confidence in my shot is something I value over saving a few pounds. I have carried light rifles but really don’t have an interest in something less than 10 pounds right now, regardless of the amount of powder behind it.

Iv only shot one nrl hunter match. People don’t spend money to be in a competition, sometimes traveling very far, to compete at a disadvantage. I can say during the match I shot, I shot a bdl 3006, used gear I carry hunting minus my sand gamechanger (I carry git lite hunting) and was at a minimal disadvantage. I hit a lot of targets, cleaned stages, and placed decent. I’d shoot the same rifle again and do better knowing what I’m going into versus my first nrl. Nrl hunter is a game but I can say that I could see myself taking almost every shot I took in the field. I saw more use in it for a hunter than prs.

That said for a match the targets were good size, and easier to hit than a standard prs style match. The shooting for the most part wasn’t difficult, but managing gear, finding and ranging made stages more difficult.

If I was really playing the game. I’d approach an nrl stage with my binos, a sand schmedium and a larger tripod on a sling and shoot a 12 pound 6.5 creedmoor.

I guess it all depends on how you view and maybe where you hunt. Even in the mountains I’m going to carry whatever I think will make me more successful. When it comes to success I think that making a good shot makes or breaks more hunts than a few pounds on the back.

Last edited:

inkedspot

FNG
Match rifle vs hunting rifle. A couple of pounds different in weight - steel barrel vs CF, and short mag vs standard caliber, but to me NRL Hunter series is the perfect way to work out all of your plans and scenarios before hunting.

Other than the difference between the two rifles, I only take stuff with me to the matches that I take on hunts. I’ve learned a lot about gear that is too heavy or doesn’t work well.

Attachments

• IMG_9734.jpeg
    IMG_9734.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 57

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
make us Canadians happy and ship to your northern neighbor pls :)
- Go Big Tactical: [email protected] and 250-962-6990

- Bighorn Sales: [email protected] and 250-845-4196.

These guys both have pretty consistent orders with us so they should be able to get you taken care of! Looks like Go Big even has 2 short actions in stock right now!

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
- Go Big Tactical: [email protected] and 250-962-6990

- Bighorn Sales: [email protected] and 250-845-4196.

These guys both have pretty consistent orders with us so they should be able to get you taken care of! Looks like Go Big even has 2 short actions in stock right now!

you rock thx!