new strings

bnsafe

WKR
how often do you guys change your strings. I got a revolt x new I think 3 years ago. its not shot alot cause I travel for work. strings look perfect to me, but the local bow shot thinks you should change alot it seems. I just dont wanna do it. Im guessing maybe 500 shots on them over the last 3 years

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Just depends I’ve been changing the strings on my 3d bow about every 6 months but I’m also shooting 100-150 arrows a day. I think they would go a little longer but that’s just the way I like to do it. on my hunting bows every year or depending which hunting bow I shoot the most it might make it 2 seasons as long as everything looks good even on those I think they would be fine for a little longer but it makes me feel better so I just change em. Other then that as long as the serving looks good and it’s holding tune and poundage they probably fine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
no serving issues and I dont see any wear at all on them.
so, if I change them, which strings should I go with

Change them when they get frayed or have serving separation. For me, that's annually.

Having tried a few manufacturers strings, the only ones I will continue to buy are gas ghost xv.

Zac

WKR
I saw a set of Zebras literally explode on a bow that just sat in a closet for a few years. Bowtech’s factory options aren’t much better. My buddy contacted Mathew’s and they said the Zebras are only good for about a year, even if the bow is just sitting there.🤷‍♂️

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
no serving issues and I dont see any wear at all on them.
so, if I change them, which strings should I go with

JBK bowstrings he make all my strings has a 2 year warranty on all his strings he dont make different levels of strings he makes one level and blows gas strings out of the water and half the price I just took some gas ghost xv off my bow last night. I think I paid like 240 for those strings just so I could see what all the hype was about. After 1 season they are coming off and JBK went on like all my other bows. 120 bucks for a 5 piece set 130 with speed nocks get them in your hand in a week with a 2 year warranty. Give Jeff a try at JBK he is a good dude.

There is nothing wrong with gas strings the set I had worked well after they warrantied some cables.for half the money I get a better set imo zero peep twist after thousands of shots bow holds its tune. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

king402

FNG
I agree with a few of the comments that say if they are factory then I would change them out. Last year I changed the strings on my Revolt X and it made a huge difference.

Reactions: Zac

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Besides fraying or serving separation, you also have to watch for stretch. Especially on factory strings.
Even just sitting and not many shots the string and cables will stretch. Axle to axle gets long which makes peak draw weight go down, cams go out of time, peep starts twisting.

3 years on factory strings, I guarantee your bow isn't drawing peak poundage anymore and cams are out of synch. Shoot a fixed BH and a field point at 20 yards, bet they hit quite a distance away from each other.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I prefer Threadz just based on the customer service. They typically arrive 2 days after ordering. Quality is always superb. Catfish is just as good just a lot slower. If I was gonna try something for fun it would be Mad Goat. So many great options though, anything anyone recommends on here will be great.

Luked

WKR
Just changed my strings on my V3X that was bought new Aug of 22.
I dont normally keep a bow longer than 3 years.

The last time I changed string and cables was about 2015. lol I don’t shoot much even when I have a hunt coming up. Around 20 arrows every few days. No serving separation, axle to axle has been the same since 2012, no cam lean and timing is still spot on. I just change the d-loop and maybe reserve the center serving. Poundage is still 68 lbs. the same as it was last year and the year before that and the year before that. I check my bow at least every month during the off season and wax the string and cables on a regular basis.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys doing for string care? I used to wax but found that it attracts dust and debris while hunting.

I’ve heard mineral oil too?

i think the first was about 2 years and the second lasted a little longer, cause, was already really good with how i lunch.. so i think its about how much u use it..

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I am sure I have string stretch, but have it tuned each year and still shot good and sight is same as it was. I will prob change them out this year if I can get home long enough to get it done.

Zac

WKR
The last time I changed string and cables was about 2015. lol I don’t shoot much even when I have a hunt coming up. Around 20 arrows every few days. No serving separation, axle to axle has been the same since 2012, no cam lean and timing is still spot on. I just change the d-loop and maybe reserve the center serving. Poundage is still 68 lbs. the same as it was last year and the year before that and the year before that. I check my bow at least every month during the off season and wax the string and cables on a regular basis.
So your risking your bow blowing up in your face so you can save 150 bucks?

So your risking your bow blowing up in your face so you can save 150 bucks?
Nope. I’ve been shooting for well over 30 years with no problems. Like I said, I don’t shoot a lot so strings and cables don’t wear out as fast. If I shot 100 arrows a day all the time it would be a different story. I also said that I wax string and cables on a regular basis and inspect them often including everytime I shoot.

I was more worried when bows had metal cables and teardrop attachments for bowstrings than what is being done today.