NPR reports that electric bikes will be classified as non-motorized by NPS and USFS

The point is it could set precedent for USDA to follow suit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I hate to sound like a dick, but good gawd, did anybody bother to read the Order?

It allows E-Bikes on BLM, US Fish and Wildlife land, and National Parks. It doesn't have a thing to do with Forest Service land.
How much "non motorized" BLM have you hunted?

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/f..._through_the_use_of_electric_bikes_-508_0.pdf

Thanks for the reality check. Consider me guilty for not gathering the facts prior to putting 2 cents in.

It still doesn't make sense to me for ebikes to fall into an unmotorized classification but if USFS is not included I don't see near the impact on hunting quality as I would have with ebikes being allowed on USFS unmotorized areas.

Interesting read about e bikes, their power as opposed to old school pedal power and all modes of transportation and their effect on calving areas

A quality mid drive bike is pushing 5 grand. The lesser hub drives won’t handle the rigorous abuse of the hills. Might see a bunch of cheap ones short term until they break, but the expense is pretty steep for a bunch of people.

Market will adjust with increased sales and prices will lower considerably

Hopefully they get to a price point that I can afford some day. We currently ride our mt bikes in about 4 miles and burn ourselves out doing it. Gonna be nice.

you guys do realize the title of this thread is wrong.
the usfs and blm just came out saying that ebikes are being treated as motorized.
you can ride them, where ever you ride a motorcycle.

E bikes have 3 classifications. 1 and 2 are pedal assist under 750 watts. Speed under assist can't acceded 20mph. Class 3 over 750 watt speed assist 28mph. They are assist and require pedal usage. Yes they can be used under power only if they are class 2 or 3 but you will overheat motor and either shut down for safety lock out or burn out motor. They are not allowed in any where in any wilderness areas just as anything with wheels can go in. The class 1 and 2 can only go on bike trails authorized by US Forest and class 3 can only operate on trails allowing motorized vehicles ie motocycle, atv, etc.

E bikes have 3 classifications. 1 and 2 are pedal assist under 750 watts. Speed under assist can't acceded 20mph. Class 3 over 750 watt speed assist 28mph. They are assist and require pedal usage. Yes they can be used under power only if they are class 2 or 3 but you will overheat motor and either shut down for safety lock out or burn out motor. They are not allowed in any where in any wilderness areas just as anything with wheels can go in. The class 1 and 2 can only go on bike trails authorized by US Forest and class 3 can only operate on trails allowing motorized vehicles ie motocycle, atv, etc.
This is wrong and spreading false information. No e-bikes are allowed on non motorized trails on USFS lands at this time. No class 1,2 or 3 whatsoever. They are still considered motorized. The order is relevant ONLY to DOI lands. This is the problem, if this persists, e-bikes will be allowed on non motorized trails across the board. Even my town is now considering due to the DOI order. E-bikes are motorized, does not matter if they are pedal assist or straight throttle, they do not belong on non motorized trails period.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If you did the proper research and read the thread you would be putting out correct info yourself. No where did I say non motorized trail. I said unless designated by Forest service. That is fact. And I own a class 3 and I can ride it on any motorized trail or road I want. Heck of a lot better than an ATV or Side by Side! Also nothing with wheels can go in a wilderness area to include non motorized bikes, game carts, or you drag along cooler

It’s interesting to watch as government agencies attempt to catch up to tech advances on many fronts. Change is almost always challenging and difficult for most people, regardless of the context.
In the area of montana in which I hunt there are many forest service roads. On these roads are many gates which have varying dates of permitted usages depending on the type of vehicle (truck, motorcycle, snowmobile) all of which are motorized. There are no restrictions posted for bicycles. I suspect there may be an additional sign going up soon to address this recent bicycle variant.

e8d602d51e046443252496aa49946e5a.jpg
3e5b85739b34aabdad32c83b6282b95b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally will not renew my membership or shop elk101. I just don’t support it, no longer shop S&S since they started carrying them.

I personally will not renew my membership or shop elk101. I just don’t support it, no longer shop S&S since they started carrying them.
Do you know the circumstances? Would you feel the same if they legally used dirt bikes or atvs?

Do you know the circumstances? Would you feel the same if they legally used dirt bikes or atvs?

it wouldn’t matter to me, it is a product that is the platform to challenge our wilderness. I have seen the impact on trial run areas here in Colorado. I personally won’t support businesses that promote them.

If someone gives you a free "BIKE" you just got to ride it around on socal media.
Maybe next year they can sponsor a "BIKE" run to Idaho for a three day paid conference on how to increase your elk hunting abilities using a new power "BIKE"

b63e98351bcd48d9d0a261f1197d2e74.jpg

Definitely making a push to sell them as the next sliced bread in hunting

Last edited:
I’m going to go out on a limb here for my opinion as an avid E bike rider. I love my ebike it has helped me become a healthier person by finding a new passion for fitness, whether some people like it or not. If you are going to own an ebike that is going to soon fit into the class 1 specs of being classified as a “e-whatever legal bicycle” they are not going to give you a giant advantage over a traditional bicycle.

My Rad Rover 750 watt bike is good for about 4-7 miles to conserve enough battery for the way out. With any hills 12% grade or below and on a road or trail free from rocks, ruts, and stumps. As the rider, your still sucking wind going up “steeper grades” and speeds average 5-12mph on this terrain. I’m sure the more juiced up bikes can go up technical trails but i can tell you from experience it’s not going to come from the class 1’s. I do have to get off and push my bike up some unmanageable portions or on grades that are too steep. I hate to tell you, but they are not a dirt bike even though some people who are anti-E bike are thinking they are and can still go 24 mph not pedaling and maintain that going up steep hills

Earlier this year i had a individual get semi aggressive with my husband and I riding our ebikes. Everyone here is just as educated as i am with ebike laws, but i reached out to both Montana FWP and the Montana state DOJ anyways for their thoughts anyways and these our the responses I got:

FWP: “e-bikes are considered a motorized bike. You cannot operate them in areas or trails that prohibit motorized travel. The laws you referenced allow you to ride them without a license plate on public roads that allow other vehicle traffic.”

Montana DOJ MVD: 42) (a) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and that is designated to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. A motorcycle may carry one or more attachments and a seat for the conveyance of a passenger.

(b) A motorcycle designed for use on highways is a motor vehicle unless otherwise prescribed.

(c) A motorcycle designed for off-road recreational use is an off-highway vehicle unless it has been modified to meet the equipment standards specified in chapter 9 and has been registered for highway use.

(d) The term does not include a tractor, a bicycle or a moped as defined in 61-8-102, a motorized nonstandard vehicle, or a two- or three-wheeled all-terrain vehicle that is used exclusively on private property.

(43) (a) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle, including a motor scooter, with a motor that produces 5 horsepower or less.

(b) The term does not include a bicycle or a moped, as defined in 61-8-102, or a motorized nonstandard vehicle.

For MCA 61-8-102(b) "Bicycle" means a vehicle propelled solely by human power on which any person may ride, irrespective of the number of wheels, except scooters, wheelchairs, and similar devices. The term includes an electrically assisted bicycle.

Take it for what it is but ebikes are almost in the same category as marijuana. Eventually they will be a more involved part of our society and the people who have been smoking and eating behind closed doors will be more forthcoming about it.

Not everyone has the means to own horses or other types of stock. class 1 ebikes are not going to end up in the extreme backcountry or wilderness anyways. But for the front range hunter they can be a fun a useful tool

I’m going to go out on a limb here for my opinion as an avid E bike rider. I love my ebike it has helped me become a healthier person by finding a new passion for fitness, whether some people like it or not. If you are going to own an ebike that is going to soon fit into the class 1 specs of being classified as a “e-whatever legal bicycle” they are not going to give you a giant advantage over a traditional bicycle.

My Rad Rover 750 watt bike is good for about 4-7 miles to conserve enough battery for the way out. With any hills 12% grade or below and on a road or trail free from rocks, ruts, and stumps. As the rider, your still sucking wind going up “steeper grades” and speeds average 5-12mph on this terrain. I’m sure the more juiced up bikes can go up technical trails but i can tell you from experience it’s not going to come from the class 1’s. I do have to get off and push my bike up some unmanageable portions or on grades that are too steep. I hate to tell you, but they are not a dirt bike even though some people who are anti-E bike are thinking they are and can still go 24 mph not pedaling and maintain that going up steep hills

Earlier this year i had a individual get semi aggressive with my husband and I riding our ebikes. Everyone here is just as educated as i am with ebike laws, but i reached out to both Montana FWP and the Montana state DOJ anyways for their thoughts anyways and these our the responses I got:

FWP: “e-bikes are considered a motorized bike. You cannot operate them in areas or trails that prohibit motorized travel. The laws you referenced allow you to ride them without a license plate on public roads that allow other vehicle traffic.”

Montana DOJ MVD: 42) (a) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and that is designated to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. A motorcycle may carry one or more attachments and a seat for the conveyance of a passenger.

(b) A motorcycle designed for use on highways is a motor vehicle unless otherwise prescribed.

(c) A motorcycle designed for off-road recreational use is an off-highway vehicle unless it has been modified to meet the equipment standards specified in chapter 9 and has been registered for highway use.

(d) The term does not include a tractor, a bicycle or a moped as defined in 61-8-102, a motorized nonstandard vehicle, or a two- or three-wheeled all-terrain vehicle that is used exclusively on private property.

(43) (a) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle, including a motor scooter, with a motor that produces 5 horsepower or less.

(b) The term does not include a bicycle or a moped, as defined in 61-8-102, or a motorized nonstandard vehicle.

For MCA 61-8-102(b) "Bicycle" means a vehicle propelled solely by human power on which any person may ride, irrespective of the number of wheels, except scooters, wheelchairs, and similar devices. The term includes an electrically assisted bicycle.

Take it for what it is but ebikes are almost in the same category as marijuana. Eventually they will be a more involved part of our society and the people who have been smoking and eating behind closed doors will be more forthcoming about it.

Not everyone has the means to own horses or other types of stock. class 1 ebikes are not going to end up in the extreme backcountry or wilderness anyways. But for the front range hunter they can be a fun a useful tool

they certainly will get access to the backcountry thanks to your support. I just watched a man in his 70’s who had to learn how to retrain the left side of his body due to a brain tumor hike over 30 miles in 3 days of elk hunting. He isn’t a fan of them either. You can actually get into shape on a regular bike...

Back