What rifle?

• 7 PRC

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • 6mm Creedmoor

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
I have three very reliable and accurate rifles I am considering for my upcoming elk hunt. I have been on several elk hunts but so far I am just a pack mule and have not had the opportunity to punch my own tag. I have only seen one elk take a hit and it took two. I am headed out on an Idaho elk hunt next month and I really do not think I would shoot over 500 in perfect conditions. My hunting experience is very limited and I have only taken 4 small Alaska bucks all under 100 yards. I do a reasonable amount of shooting but my big game experience is ZERO! My intention has always been to take the 7 PRC but with all the discussions here I am conflicted. Thoughts?

1. Seekins Element in 7PRC suppressed. For this rifle I am running Berger 180 VLD-H and it shoots them extremely well. I took it to a long range class and verified everything out to 1000 and won the little milk jug challenge at the end of the weekend. I can generally stay in the glass when I have good form but that is not always possible.

2. Fierce 6.5 creedmoor. This rifle loves 143 ELD-X. I took this rifle to a different long range school and I am very confident with it as well. Staying in the glass is pretty easy.

3. Seekins PH-2 NRL-H in 6 Creedmoor. This one likes Berger 105 VLD-H and is a legit tack driver. I still do not think I would take shot over 500. This one got me to second overall in a hunter competition. Staying in the glass is almost a given unless there is some strange contorted position.

Last edited:

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Any one of them will work. I'd say do what I do and take the rifle that hasn't killed anything yet, but maybe not in your case being new at this passion.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Bull or cow? Bull, take the 7. Cow any of the 3.

Shooting live animals in the wild, field positions, tired, heart pumping etc ain't popping water jugs at the range. Get as close as you can. Good luck

OP
NevadaMike
Bull or cow? Bull, take the 7. Cow any of the 3.

Shooting live animals in the wild, field positions, tired, heart pumping etc ain't popping water jugs at the range. Get as close as you can. Good luck
My tag is for a bull and the poll seems to match my gut for the 7. I dumped a wolf with it last year when I was elk hunting. I was prone on a lumpy rock outcrop but I managed to get set up okay and when he walked into the last window I had for him I took the shot. I did lose my sight picture very briefly but I was back on him when he tumbled down hill. The 7 is also my lightest rifle.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you already made your choice but just want some reassurance. Again, good luck.

WKR
How is this not like every other cartridge poll?
He didn't mention scope brands. Usually it's a choice with different leupold, zeiss, vortex scopes on the rifles in question and the responses turn into a brand fanboy dance-off.

OP
NevadaMike
Sounds like you already made your choice but just want some reassurance. Again, good luck.
Thanks. I was leaning 7 PRC but with all the small caliber discussions I was second guessing myself. This group has so much more experience than I do I figured it could only help.