Not sure how to feel about Tribal Hunting…

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Discussing tribal membership requirements is a waste of time. Tribes individually decide what determines citizenship based on their culture, history, politics, etc. For instance, I'm Choctaw and all five of the "civilized" tribes require you to trace unbroken lineage to the Dawes rolls. Percentage of bloodline is irrelevant for my tribe.

Also, my tribe used to work with the state to issue free state licenses to members who were residents of the state. Governor got into a spat with the tribes wanting a greater share of their revenues and refused to renew the license compact, so they formed their own game and fish department, drafted regulations, etc and took over sovereign control of wildlife managment as it applies to their citizens. Their regulations pretty much mirror state regs and seasons, except now state nonresidents who are tribal citizens no longer have to buy a nonres license. Tribal G&F communicates with state and in things like black bear quota, share one quota for all. It's very well managed and regulated, but there is also not a large contiguous "reservation" of tribal owned land so it needs to be somewhat consistent.

So this is pretty quick and easy, from the Google (BLUF: a blood test is NOT sufficient for membership):

To be a member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, an individual must have a blood quantum of at least one-fourth (25%) "Oceti Sakowin" Sioux Indian blood from a federally recognized tribe; meaning, they need to be at least one-quarter Native American to be eligible for membership.

Key points about Standing Rock membership:

• Blood quantum requirement: 25%
  • Meaning: This means that to be enrolled, a person must have at least one parent or grandparent who is a recognized member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
  • Important note: Each Native American tribe has its own specific blood quantum requirements for membership.
I wonder why sioux dont mention Pawnee blood? It was Pawnee before theirs…

Any right.

The logic being used in the original post is exemplified by the few words I quoted from it. I summarized, and expressed it as what gun control folks say.

You eluded to a belief that "rights" have a different status depending on different factors. I am asking you for clarification of your statement/opinion. Are the rights of a Native American less valuable than rights guaranteed to others?

When they grant special privilege above and beyond others, yes.

You are arguing that as it is not a necessity, you should be able to restrict it? Not a far step to just eliminate all hunting.

No, I'm arguing these "rights" predicated on need have been surpassed as designed by an increase in economic output and the use of technology.

cnelk

WKR
I remember back 40+ years ago, (Beltrami or Lake of the Woods Co as there is a spattering of Reservation Lands all over) a couple of teenagers had some truck trouble at night and were walking down the road.

A couple of individuals from Red Lake were ‘Road Hunting’, they came around the corner and saw some shapes in the road ahead and shot and killed one of the teenagers, thinking they were deer.

Q child

WKR
After some personal experiences with people who live in the area, and further research into the matter, I’m not sure how I feel about the rights and regulations of tribal hunting as outlined by the Montana FWP in this FAQ I’ll tag below. I get tribal land rights, but just a bowling alley style shootout of bison and elk without tags and without documentation just because an ancestor may have hunted there several hundred years ago? Meanwhile, we all play the points game and pay hundreds/thousands for tags and a hope at a fair chase harvest instead of hunting whenever, outside of season dates, and all that. What say you all? I’m surprised I haven’t heard or read much outroar about it, honestly. Trying to not sound xenophobic or whatever the word would be, but does not seem right to me.
Bottom line it's none of your business what they do with their land and their game. That is the point.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
While it's incredible to read what the US government promised them, it's still unclear how, without revoking their individual sovereignty, how they can be legally denied those outlined rights?
It is not that incredible imho, game numbers were dwindling, the US likely expected it to be a non-issue to promise off reservation access to hunting that would die out.

A lot of work was done by the US citizens (which tribal members are also part of) to foster and rebuild stable game populations, or attempts to stabilize them. Now a subset of US citizens (with the right racial based dual citizenship) get to hunt to a different set of rules off reservation (depending on the tribe) in modern day and have disproportionate access to the resources all the US citizens together fostered. How folks conduct themselves, esp. in the face of a struggling resource in areas, varies greatly. The negative versions are what strain the public sentiment in my opinion.

If it wasn't legal for certain citizens of the US with certain additional racial privilege to shoot a bull elk in Aug with a rifle on public land and only take the head a backstraps there would probably be less resentment. Does this scenario happen day in, day out, and can every tribal member do this? No. Does it happen in some places and is it technically legal for some tribal members to do (since the tribe gets to decide what is wanton waste and they don't punish their members for something like that), yes.

This shit talking about tribal rights and how the tribe manages its heards has been going on for ages.
I don't think anyone is really talking about how reservations manage their own internal hunting. They're talking about how some tribes have access to animals on US public land and private land with permission (not reservation land). For some treaties their access is extremely generous to the point they get to decide their own seasons and definitions of wonton waste on these off reservation lands. Some treat the issue respectfully, others are slobs. The difference being their slobs are our poachers and there are legal repercussions for abusing the resource that the state/US as a whole has rebuilt for the benefit of all.