Northwest Fire Danger

I actually was going to comment, this year is a first in a few years we haven't had any fires. Knock on wood.
Except for everyone that lost their places during the Gwen, pretty quiet year. Amazing how the tide turned at the latter part of July and August. 1 5000 acre fire in the Selway and pretty much north of the Salmon River is quiet.

Taudisio

WKR
Except for everyone that lost their places during the Gwen, pretty quiet year. Amazing how the tide turned at the latter part of July and August. 1 5000 acre fire in the Selway and pretty much north of the Salmon River is quiet.
It’s been raining here in SW OR since yesterday, light to medium in waves, but consistent. Hopefully it rolls NE and helps out a lot

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
No rain here only high winds yesterday. Smoked in this morning. Closed windows at 0230 this morning it was coming in strong.

Anyone with Sawtooth tags for Bow may not have a place to hunt now.

I get very frustrated with the FS about their fire handling. Worked for the Boise National for several years. Finished out with the BLM. I know fires and I know how these clowns work. But the Overhead team that was handling the Wapiti was a Northern Rockies team and they totally blew it!!

TaperPin

WKR
As an old guy who dug fire line in the 80’s, it’s been fascinating seeing the more extreme fire behavior - areas that traditionally didn’t burn much are now really getting after it with a little less moisture and plenty of wind. With 1000 year weather events becoming more common, we’ll see a big dry spell and million acre fires in our lifetime.

Still, human nature being what it is, driving around northern CA and Nevada communities, people just don’t understand defensible space. I really enjoy small talk with landowners in the worst offending places we drive by, secretly picking their brains about their understanding of fire behavior. Entire well established developments of urban sprawl with chest high sage and over grown PJ right up to the wooden fence that’s up wind of the house, an juniper bushes cut into cute shapes all around the house - every one I’ve spoken to say they moved there for the look and feel of the neighborhood and they have no intention of removing any of the fuels. Same for small communities built into the trees. I used to call them idiots, but now I see they are simply human and the human condition isn’t perfect.

Last edited:

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
mtnwrunner thanks for the pictures.
Some smart a$$ said old fire scars would slow down new fires.
Doesn't look like it to me.
I watched the Canyon Fire when it burned from a lookout.
The sad thing is they had the fire but they flat out let it get away.

IDVortex

WKR
First issue I see is that most of the signs are way to low to the ground. Especially considering even the sight distance doesn't make it look like they should be on the ground. Other then that, it looks prestigious.

Was the fire started back in July with that strand of thunderstorms that moved across the area?

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Wapiti started July 24.
I can see Avalanche Alley being closed for most of the winter. I only need to get down in October and March. March may not be doable if we have a big snow year.
I can see canyon creek getting blocked and backing up and washing the road out big time.
Thanks for the pictures again.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
The Remington is nasty looking. A lot of over dry fuels there it looks like.
Thanks for the pictures.