Northern Nevada Chukar / Huns (Elkoish)

So I am headed to northern Nevada (in the round about areas of Elko) for my very first Chucker / Hun hunt. I’ll be solo with my GSP, dispersed camping so I won’t be tied down to any one area. I’am not looking for spots pins or coordinates of where to hunt, but I was curious about the terrain, habitat, vegetation, snakes, and elevation. I’ve read everything I could find online including the Nevada 24-25 Chukar forecast, even reaching out the the local biologist up there with no success (multiple phone calls and voicemail) Never been to the area and was looking for pointers on what to look for and what to look out for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don’t necessarily need to shoot a limit. I’m more just looking to get my dog on some new birds with a change of scenery. Thank you in advance.

OP
S
I'm new to chukar, but have been scouting quite a bit the last month or two. Look for guzzlers and springs. I keep finding them fairly close to water, within half a mile or so.
Ok very cool! Thank you. Did you happen to notice any flora or geological features such as rocky ridges, canyons, or sage / cheat grass in combination with the water to produce more or less numbers in your experience? Thank you again.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Adding you need to have water sources nearby. They are usually near ridge tops between draws. Get out early in the AM and you will find them in the open as well. If you spook them they usually won’t go too far and then you can watch where they land and get back on them.

I have found lots this year deer hunting but was just out on a deer hunt this weekend in a new area and didn’t see a single one. There are also no guzzlers in that area so that could be related.

The areas that have them have been thick so you should have a great time. Good luck.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I went chukar hunting once. Chased those things from the bottom of the mountain all the way to the top, where they jumped up and flew to the bottom. Yep, went chukar hunting ONCE.
Sounds about right. I’ve done that a few times. Then once in the snow I found their tracks…heading back to the top.

Time of the year means a lot, if you’re going before the snow then just go from water source to water source. I tend to find them on the hills, rim rocks, and lounging on benches. I think you’ll have a good time

Ok very cool! Thank you. Did you happen to notice any flora or geological features such as rocky ridges, canyons, or sage / cheat grass in combination with the water to produce more or less numbers in your experience? Thank you again.

Other guys here have said something similar, but as birds I suspect they like to have something of a roost to see from, so look in places above the water sources, near rocky outcroppings.

OP
S
Awesome I appreciate all the replies and PMs. I think I’ve got enough info now to kind of illustrate what I’ll need to be looking out for with boots on the ground and on OnX. Would it be appropriate to report back on my experience on this thread? ( I am new here )

Awesome I appreciate all the replies and PMs. I think I’ve got enough info now to kind of illustrate what I’ll need to be looking out for with boots on the ground and on OnX. Would it be appropriate to report back on my experience on this thread? ( I am new here )

Yes, definitely. Let us know how you do, and good luck!