North Idaho late rut?

i normally do very well towards the end of September but I'm having a strange season up in the panhandle. Bulls are vocal and responsive, but not aggressive. There are scrapes everywhere, but it is damn near impossible to get a bull fired up. I have some friends locally that have killed bulls in early season and see others have had luck in Idaho, but I've also heard of other having the same experience as me. Could it be the cows haven't came into estrus yet? Warm September with late equinox? Trappers have not been able to lay trap lines for wolves, are the elk being over pressured? Any ideas?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just the way it is some years. The cows come into estrus the same window every year within a given region. The craziness factor may not be as intense in some years, why only the elk know. Some years this last week and the week prior to rifle is when things go bananas and may be real good for the first part of rifle season. I like that idea for my tag and have seen it many times like this in my 45 year experience 🤙

IDVortex

WKR
I mean, I've seen plenty of cows in the panhandle. But not the elk kind, the two areas I've hunted for the little bit before my back said no I didn't even hear a elk.

It is definitely interesting the year to year differences. We’ve been into some crazy action around the October rifle opener after a dead end of September. I did seem to notice that where I was hunting it had more pressure than normal, and bulls did seem more timid. But who knows, you could be just one day away from the best rut action of your life too.

Randle

WKR
We have had bulls fire up after 10 am most days. I think they are up in the moon . We work them in the bedding areas.
Mid month was dead quiet.
It picked back this weekend.