What changes are you making this season?

hubbs77

FNG
@mobohunter and I have spent the last few months on situations. Listening to a lot of what elknut has to say about different bulls and different setups. Our first year we got them talking but had no idea what to do to close the gap the second year they weren't talking at all. This year we will hunt and be ready for more scenarios and I sure hope it pays off. Good luck to everyone this year you only have so many Septembers!

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
My son is joining me for his first experience in elk camp. I took him on his first western hunt, a Pronghorn hunt a couple years ago, and he loved it. Now he joins me for what I have been dreaming of for years, a rutting elk hunt with my sons in tow. His calling is horrendous, but if I can get him raking a big tree, it might be enough to get a dumb one close enough to put an arrow in. I love you September!

Gear: Added back a stand alone rangefinder, because rangefinding binos suck for archery!

bz_711

WKR
Archery season is here! What changes will you be making this year? Whether it be different gear, strategies, dates, states, units, hunting partners, snacks etc.

Me personally I am focusing on my tactics and making so significant changes. I hunt pressured elk in a unit with lots of roads. I am going to focus in on places I know the elk will be and be much less aggressive. I plan to do a lot more cow calling and moving slow in areas I know hold bulls instead of being ultra mobile trying to locate one willing to talk. Maybe get one to come in silent.

On the flip side I plan to be more aggressive in situations when I do have a vocal bull. I need to get in tighter than I have in the past instead of having an hour long screaming match with a bull at 50-100 yds.

As far as gear I don't plan changing much other than ditching the spotter and tripod. Barely used it last year the weight is significant.

This is the first year I am able to take a week off in September. I will be out 20-26. I will also be hunting a few days here and there the early part of month as well.

Making my biggest change yet...going solo for the first time.
Going to make for an interesting pack out:)

Marble

WKR
This will be my first time being the shooter the entire time, relying on someone else to do the calling. Every other year, I do the majority of calling.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

AME

FNG
Same place, same gear.

Probably try to get out early season once or twice. Pick my camping spot better. Be active in the middle of the day. More cow calling, less bugles.

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
2nd year elk hunting.

Going later this year(not because we went too early last time, just how timing worked out)

Changed to a different boot. I have recurring issues with my left ankle. Going to use a 10" boot and see if it helps over the course of the trip. Been doing a lot of stretches and exercises specific to the calf and tendons, but the 10" boot feels much more stable regardless.

I really plan to be much more aggressive this time. The more aggressive we got with our calling and tactics last time, the more quality interactions we got and the closer we got to closing the deal. I regret not leading with that and time constraints cut us short.

I got a couple of shot opportunities on young bulls that weren't ideal, so I passed, but if there would have been a few more days on the schedule I dont think I'd have made tag soup that first year.