north-facing slopes

Dougfir

FNG
It seems that everything ever written about finding elk mentions that you should be looking at north and east facing slopes to find where elk spend their days. This has been one of the things I've looked for when map-scouting. In the unit I'll be hunting this Fall, there's this one long (6 or 7 miles), high ridge that keeps catching my eye. It has everything elk like on it, except the entire thing is a big south facing slope (I can't hunt the other side). There are a few very small slivers of east-facing slope, but not many. There is plenty of timber, it's just all facing to the south. My gut says that not all elk have read that they need to be on a north-facing slope and that the spot is worth checking out, but, I'm new to this and wanted to get a few opinions from experienced folk. What say you? Should I discount the area because nothing faces to the north? Thanks for the advice!

ureyes

FNG
north/east slopes usually have the dark timber....that's where you can expect them to bed during daytime hours......south slopes are good feeding zones. take your pick.

ARCHER11

Lil-Rokslider
Elk don't like north facing slopes, they like certain things typically found on those north facing slopes. They don't care which way it faces of it has what they want they'll be there. I wouldn't think twice about checking out the area you've been eying.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that they fancy the things typically found on north facing slopes, but are not always found there. Completely depends on the time of the day, weather, and season. None of the elk that I have shot were actually ever on the north facing slope at that time. You should be just fine hunting that portion if you tailor your style appropriately.