Norma golden target bullets?

780 yards through the lungs (3 shots). Then deliberately shoot the animal in the neck and then further back to see if he would lay down when the first three shots didn't do it? At that point, after five shots, another rifle was grabbed to put it down? That's what I am putting together from the posts. Some advice, whatever bullet that gun was using, might be worth a try...

How far away were the "test" rabbits that gave confidence before shooting on big game at 780 yards with a known approximate impact velocity of under 2000 fps?

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider

This was the 130gr target load. I wonder if impact velocities just need to stay above a certain threshold.

Felix40

WKR
The Norma website says it’s designed to expand. It shoots great in my rifle. It’s readily available. I plan to give it a try on a bear or sheep this year and see how it does.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Norma website says it’s designed to expand. It shoots great in my rifle. It’s readily available. I plan to give it a try on a bear or sheep this year and see how it does.

Norma says the Golden Target is designed to expand? Can you provide a link?

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Norma says the Golden Target is designed to expand? Can you provide a link?

The Norma Dedicated Precision - 6.5 PRC Golden Target Match 143 gr is a high-performance rifle cartridge designed for precision shooting. This round is designed to provide superior accuracy and consistency, making it ideal for long-range shooting. The 6.5 PRC is a short-action cartridge that is capable of reaching velocities of up to 3,000 feet per second. The Norma Dedicated Precision - 6.5 PRC Golden Target Match 143 gr is loaded with a 143 grain, boat-tail hollow point bullet that is designed to provide excellent accuracy and terminal performance. The bullet is designed to expand upon impact, creating a larger wound channel and more energy transfer. The Norma Dedicated Precision - 6.5 PRC Golden Target Match 143 gr is a great choice for precision shooting and hunting applications.

https://normashooting.com/shop/caliber/rifle/6-5-prc/6-5-prc-143-gr-bthp-norma-golden-target-qty-20/

On the Norma website, it says the 143 golden target is designed to expand if you are looking at the 6.5 PRC ammo.

When I looked at the 6.5 creedmoor ammo with the same bullet, I didn't see anything about expansion or hunting.

So maybe it only expands at high impact velocities?

I've shot a bunch of the 130s in both 260 & 6.5 swede in matches. I think the 'hunting' and 'expansion' reference is new. I do know I did some research a few years ago because these shot so well, and I didn't find anything at that time...

6.5 Creedmoor Golden Target - Norma Precision Inc.
Looking for reliable and accurate ammunition for your 6.5 Creedmoor rifle? Look no further than Norma Dedicate Precision - 6.5 Creedmoor (BTHP) Golden Target 130 Grain.

Crafted with precision in mind, this ammunition features a boat-tail hollow point (BTHP) design that delivers exceptional accuracy and consistency, making it ideal for target shooting, competitions, and hunting. The 130-grain bullet provides a balance of weight and speed that ensures optimal performance and reliable expansion upon impact. The 6.5mm bullet has long been known to be an excellent long range bullet, as the projectiles have good sectional densities and ballistic coefficients beginning at G1: 0.548 to G7: 0.294. The 6.5mm Creedmoor has become very popular for long range hunting.

Whether you're a seasoned marksman or a novice shooter, Norma Dedicate Precision - 6.5 Creedmoor (BTHP) Golden Target 130 Grain offers the quality and consistency you need to achieve your shooting goals.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Norma Dedicated Precision - 6.5 PRC Golden Target Match 143 gr is a high-performance rifle cartridge designed for precision shooting. This round is designed to provide superior accuracy and consistency, making it ideal for long-range shooting. The 6.5 PRC is a short-action cartridge that is capable of reaching velocities of up to 3,000 feet per second. The Norma Dedicated Precision - 6.5 PRC Golden Target Match 143 gr is loaded with a 143 grain, boat-tail hollow point bullet that is designed to provide excellent accuracy and terminal performance. The bullet is designed to expand upon impact, creating a larger wound channel and more energy transfer. The Norma Dedicated Precision - 6.5 PRC Golden Target Match 143 gr is a great choice for precision shooting and hunting applications.

https://normashooting.com/shop/caliber/rifle/6-5-prc/6-5-prc-143-gr-bthp-norma-golden-target-qty-20/

That is more than likely a misprint. The Golden Target bullets will yaw tumble) and fragment/upset as most Open Tip Match bullets do. However, due to European laws, you can be almost guaranteed that Norma didn’t design that bullet for terminal performance.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
That is more than likely a misprint. The Golden Target bullets will yaw tumble) and fragment/upset as most Open Tip Match bullets do. However, due to European laws, you can be almost guaranteed that Norma didn’t design that bullet for terminal performance.

That sounds pretty plausible.

JGRaider

WKR
What I do know is they are stupid accurate in my Sako S20 PRC. The Bondstrike is as well.

So if they shot well out of say a 6mm creedmoor that you owned would you shoot elk, deer with them? Asking because I bought a bunch when they were on sale and figured worst case use the brass from them. Thanks

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So if they shot well out of say a 6mm creedmoor that you owned would you shoot elk, deer with them? Asking because I bought a bunch when they were on sale and figured worst case use the brass from them. Thanks

No, not ideally. They will certainly kill ok at high impact velocities, however there are quite a few terminally better bullets- Hornady ELD-M and ELD-X, Berger, etc. The Hornady HPBT 105gr kills well too.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe. I dont have any specific info and have never used Golden Target for any purpose, so not trying to push any agenda. Their descriptions for Golden Target ammo are certainly inconsistent.

The 6.5 PRC ammo specifically mentions being designed to expand and being suitable for hunting.
The 6.5 Creedmoor 143gn ammo makes no mention of either expansion or hunting
The 6.5 Creedmoor 130gn ammo mentions hunting, but not expansion
The 338 Lapua 250gn ammo makes no mention of either expansion or hunting
The 223 69gn ammo makes no mention of either expansion or hunting
The 223 77gn ammo mentions hunting, but not expansion

JGRaider

WKR
Why not shoot Norma an email for clarification? Also, go shoot some into wet newspaper, gel, something to at least get an idea what is going on with them at impact ad everyone is just guessing at this point. I shoot loads of pigs off buddy's places and that's how I test bullets, loads, etc.

Say you did buy a bunch of 107 golden target 6 creed ammo.. would you notice how thick the necks are and see any issues with function?

The ones I have measure like 0.275” loaded which is pretty tight in a saami chamber.

Last edited:
Say you did buy a bunch of 107 golden target 6 creed ammo.. would you notice how thick the necks are and see any issues with function?

The ones I have measure like 0.275” loaded which is pretty tight in a saami chamber.
Will check them out tomorrow and report back. I have 5 or 6 boxes I bought.

130gr DL and GT Norma projectiles are target bullets for punching paper. They were never designed as a "hunting" projectile. They work great for shooting paper and steel!!!

EJ

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a caribou 3 times with the 143 out of a PRC at 160 yards. MV 2960fps

First shot killed it, but I’m of the mindset to keep shooting until the animal drops. Follow up shots were within 1-2s of the prior shot. So it took approximately 5 seconds for the animal to hit the ground.

Of the three shots, all of which hit around 1” from the point where the heart and lungs meet, two passed through and the third was caught on the far side hide.

When I cut the animal open, damage to the vitals was catastrophic. About the size of a football. Exit wounds were about Golfball sized. This is very consistent with what you can see on YouTube when Norma shoots it into ballistic gel. It’s the same with the Berger, Hornady eldx/m

I chose this bullet because I get the most consistently tight groups with it, it has extremely low es and sd for factory ammo
and have shot a lot of PRS with it. I know how well my gun that I can consistently shoot with that particular ammo.

On the tundra, I don’t need a blood trail so as long as I hit the animal square, it’s gonna die where I can see it.

I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot any North American animal with it in open country.