Norma golden target bullets?

ElPollo

WKR
I believe the gel used in the video is yellow organic. I also don’t think it matters what range and what speed as long as it is consistently compared bullet to bullet. i.e. bullets ABC look like this and bullets XYZ look like that when fired into the gel. The gel does not not show you what the bullet is expected to do at all impact velocities, nor is it meant to
Perhaps organic wasn’t the right word. The gel in the recoil tv video back on page 1 of this thread is Clear Ballistics gel and is not the opaque Knox gelatin. There is nothing wrong with using the clear stuff, but it does compare 1:1 with results from Knox gelatin. You tend to get less stretch and smaller wound channels in the clear stuff. The issue was they reported the impact velocity in meters and it was basically muzzle velocity (roughly 2800 fps for those of us on this side of the puddle). If you have that long of a neck before the bullet upsets at muzzle velocity, it’s going to be a lot longer at something like 400 yards. That just means less damage and less reliable upset at hunting ranges. Like Form said, reduced velocity gel tests that mimic real world hunting distances just tell you a lot more about how a bullet will perform.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps organic wasn’t the right word. The gel in the recoil tv video back on page 1 of this thread is Clear Ballistics gel and is not the opaque Knox gelatin. There is nothing wrong with using the clear stuff, but it does compare 1:1 with results from Knox gelatin. You tend to get less stretch and smaller wound channels in the clear stuff. The issue was they reported the impact velocity in meters and it was basically muzzle velocity (roughly 2800 fps for those of us on this side of the puddle). If you have that long of a neck before the bullet upsets at muzzle velocity, it’s going to be a lot longer at something like 400 yards. That just means less damage and less reliable upset at hunting ranges. Like Form said, reduced velocity gel tests that mimic real world hunting distances just tell you a lot more about how a bullet will perform.
How are you able to tell from the video what kind of gel they are using?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Got it.

Is there a way to tell from the cross section I posted which of the two I have? At what velocity have you noticed variable results?

So look at the size of the SMK open tip-
IMG_3690.jpeg

Golden Target-
IMG_3688.jpeg

What that will tend to show is more variable depth of penetration in the Golden Targets before yawing (tumbling) than SMK’s and way more than Bergers; and with the thicker jacket will inhibit fragmentation.

ElPollo

WKR
How are you able to tell from the video what kind of gel they are using?
I’ve used Knox gelatin for over 20 years, mostly as glue for woodworking. I’ve also made it from scratch from hide and hoof scrapings simmered in water until they dissolve. It isn’t that transparent.