Non-waterproof hot weather boots

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
This seems shocking but I can’t seem to find what I’m after. Does anybody make a pair of non-waterproof hunting boots that are pretty stiff but actually breathable?

At this point, it seems like a lot of high-quality boot companies have GORE-TEX in their entire lineup. I just received a pair of Salomon “Quest 4D Forces” which aren’t waterproof but I don’t like them and am sending them back.

I’m looking for a boot that breathes, is full height, reasonably lightweight, and at least a 3 on the stiffness scale, preferably a 4.

It seems like the military market is the place to look. I’m considering the Go Ruck MacV-2 high tops, Garmont Tactical T8 Falcon or T8 NFS. Anyone give these a try?

Thanks for any leads.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
Lowa Tibet has a leather lined option.

Last edited:
Take a look at limmer lightweight. Leather lined, no goretex, plenty stiff. They are only about 6.5 “ high, but good ankle support and I wear them with small scree gaiters. Very well made.

Willyb43

FNG
Find some leather lined non-goretex, non-insulated boots that fit your requirements.

It really did take me awhile to come around to that realization. You would think at first look that the synthetic, cordura, fabric and mesh materials a lot of boots and hikers are made of breathe better, but it just covers a thick insulating, non-breathable layer of foam that’s wrapped around your foot. The leather lined boots manage your foot’s moisture way better, and are less insulating. Even all waxed up and “waterproofed” my feet don’t get all damp and sweaty in leather lined boots, and I’m pretty sweaty, my feet aren’t exempt from that.

Last edited:

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have the GORUCK MACV-2 Mid top boots and love them. They dry really fast when wet. I've been rucking my neighborhood 3-4 days a week with a 35lb weighted vest on and have had no issues at all. I typically run/walk 3.5 miles at a time. I tried run/walking with a pair of Lowa Zephyer Mid's and could comfortably run in them. Walking was easy and as comfortable as the MACV's. I wouldn't think that the regular hieght boots would be as stiff as you are looking for though. They are made of a lightweight canvas and leather to facilitate breathability.

seww

WKR
Look into the Jim Green's line. I bought their tallest boot 8", full leather and wide toe box.
Pretty cheap but quality has been great so far, on my second year now.

This is pretty much where military footwear has lived for the last twenty years so that’s probably your best bet for a variety of fits and features. Unfortunately though most of those are typically focused more on being lightweight than supportive so you might have a hard time finding something as stiff as you want. I also would look at some “work” brands like ariat, Wolverine, etc. I got a pair of waterproof Wolverine boots a few years ago that have been great and I think they had a number of unlined ones as well.

Last edited:

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I had the leather lined Lowa and the leather lined schee beartooth. I found them both to be significantly hotter than the waterproof versions that I eventually moved to.