Non-toxic pheasant whacking experience

sndmn11

"DADDY"
I have learned some upland public land requires non-toxic shot, the main bird is wild pheasants.

My brown dog will be a year in Nov and the priority is to get her quality contact and retrieves. I don't have any desire to shoot a bird she doesn't flush, I also don't expect a wild rooster to let her get a few yards away.

Because the goal is setting her up for success, I am a-ok spending for "best" over value. I have some federal Bismuth #4 in my cart, but was hoping to get experiences and opinions before buying. Federal, Kent, Hevi are preferred. I see all bismuth, small steel, all tungsten, blends of steel/tungsten, and blends of steel/bismuth.

I shoot 20ga, and just want to kill what I hit. I have a range of chokes from Carlson and Jeb.

I read:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Bismuth and tungsten hammers just as good if not better than lead, tungsten especially you could use 8,7 shot. Steel I would size up and realize it will limit your effective range ie 4 shot. Also realize steel will group about a choke tighter than you expect (ie a modified will group like a full with steel) has been my general experience so guys will over choke and miss birds by having too tight of a pattern I prefer imp cylinder for shooting steel, used mostly for ducks and geese 20guage as well

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with Kent bismuth no. 4s, haven't tried a lot of the others so not comparing between them.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I switched a few years back to Boss #5 for everything from woodcock to geese and have had great success with killing what I hit. This is with both full and modified. I’m a believer in bismuth even given the added cost

TBarron

WKR
Another vote of confidence for Kent Bismuth. Worked great last year for SD public land pheasants. Used #5s out of a 16g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk