non resident goat?

im 27 years old and a NR to all of the western states, unfortunately. a goat hunt would be my dream hunt. so what states should i be aplying for? or should i save my time effort and money and just go to alaska?

muleman

WKR
Utah has two areas, Willard & Beaver, that are relatively easy to hunt and can produce good goats.

Nonresident to Utah have an advantage that residents don't get. Nonresident can build points for all once in a lifetime hunts applied for. Where as residents can only build points on one once in a lifetime hunt per year.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
CO and ID are your best bets. Or you could save application money for a couple years and hunt guided in BC.

shanevg

WKR
The best odds are in Idaho and Colorado. Idaho requires you to buy a non-refundable license and then front the roughly $2100 tag cost. The $2100 gets returned to you if you don't get drawn. Colorado is roughly $1900 and all but $3 gets refunded if you don't get drawn. Unfortunately you have to apply for 3 years before you are even eligible to draw the tag. There is a nanny tag in CO with pretty good odds that can be a great hunt.

Your next best best is Montana. Tags are $850ish and most of it is refundable if you don't get drawn.

Utah is another good state and also has a nanny hunt. Realistically though you are going to need 7+ points before you have a good chance of even drawing the nanny hunt. As stated above you do have the advantage of applying for all the other species at the same time.

Wyoming has a non-resident hunt with no points - odds are roughly 1 in 50 to 1 in 75. Nevada has 1 non resident goat tag but odds are 1 in 500+. Washington also has some goat tags with some great hunting but your odds are 1 in 800 at best.

Like you - mountain goat is my number one animal I want to hunt. I apply in all of the states above as it is a lot cheaper on a year to year basis then just going up to BC or Alaska. With that in mind, I also have a savings account that I contribute to every month to save up for a guided hunt. I just keep in mind that by applying in multiple states I have a good chance of hunting goats multiple times in the future as opposed to just one hunt up in BC.

OP
flatlander51
thanks for the info. i couldnt front all the money this year cause i just baught a house in november and needed appliences and furniture and all that good stuff but ill have a credit card setting aside for next year

Gman

WKR
On the topic of fronting money - I found a credit card with no set up or interrst fees etc for 18 or 24 months. I put everything I could on this card during application season. There's a $50 a month minimum payment but I've been throwing $100 at it each month (to chip away at the tags I did draw and non-refundable fees) and everytime I get a big refund I pay the balance down. This has worked awesome and I'll close the card and open a new one when the 0% interest deal expires. It's allowed me to float close to $4K in tag apps without actually floating it.

Gman

WKR
To clarify that card is for applications only. :) Need to stay disciplined and not buy a new spotter or bow!