Non-insulated waterproof boots for wide feet... Any recommendations?

AZ_Five56

FNG
I'm looking for some new boots, but I've been having trouble finding what I'm after. The vast majority of waterproof boots on the market seem to be insulated, and I'm hoping to find non-insulated ones. On top of that, I have wide feet. The combination of wide, non-insulated, and waterproof seems to be hard to find. Does anyone have any good recommendations of makes or models that might be good to look into? I'd rather not spend over $250 or so, but I will if I have to.

nphunter

WKR
Crispi Nevadas will fit wide feet well, they are more than $250 and have a weird rocker. I couldn’t stand wearing mine but they were comfortable. I wore them shed hunting twice and sold them at a pretty substantial loss.

I’m currently wearing Scarpa Grand Dru’s and sized up 1/2 size and they are great, I not only have a wide foot but big ankles as well so a lot of boots don’t have the volume for me.

I buy a lot of my boots off of eBay or classifieds in like new condition for a lot less. My grand drus are $500 boots and I picked them up off of a forum for $200 in new condition. A lot of people buy boots and use them for one trip and sell them or like me and my Nevada buy them, hate them and sell at a loss. It seems weird buying used shoes but I’ve found there are a lot of them in almost new condition.
Buying used allows you to try different boots and find what you like, I love my Grand Dru’s so much I’ll be buying another pair and I would have never bought $500 boots just to try out. Also waiting for sales is a good idea, Father’s Day, 4th of July, Black Friday, etc.

OP
A

AZ_Five56

FNG
Crispi Nevadas will fit wide feet well, they are more than $250 and have a weird rocker. I couldn’t stand wearing mine but they were comfortable. I wore them shed hunting twice and sold them at a pretty substantial loss.

I’m currently wearing Scarpa Grand Dru’s and sized up 1/2 size and they are great, I not only have a wide foot but big ankles as well so a lot of boots don’t have the volume for me.

I buy a lot of my boots off of eBay or classifieds in like new condition for a lot less. My grand drus are $500 boots and I picked them up off of a forum for $200 in new condition. A lot of people buy boots and use them for one trip and sell them or like me and my Nevada buy them, hate them and sell at a loss. It seems weird buying used shoes but I’ve found there are a lot of them in almost new condition.
Buying used allows you to try different boots and find what you like, I love my Grand Dru’s so much I’ll be buying another pair and I would have never bought $500 boots just to try out. Also waiting for sales is a good idea, Father’s Day, 4th of July, Black Friday, etc.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not familiar with the grand drus, but I'll look them up. I'm not sure if I have big ankles like you, but I generally need more height toward the back of the boot than what a lot of footwear often offers, so those might be good for me too. I'm not above buying used at all, but I just don't want to throw a bunch of money at boots that don't work. I may go try some on somewhere to see what fits me best and then scope some used ones out in the classifieds or on ebay.

Thank you for all the recommendations I have the same issue as the OP.

Earlier this year I was in search of new work boots. I found a website called xlfeet it has up to 6E in certain sizes. They won’t have crispi’s or any of the other mentioned but it might not be a bad spot to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AZ_Five56

FNG
I went to Sportsman's Warehouse to try some boots out. Big surprise... No wide sizes were available. I might just have to take a stab in the dark and order some. The person I talked to at Sportsman's said that I could return them if they don't fit and that they'll return them at the store if it's a model they carry. I hate buying shoes.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll report back on my findings.

Ope

FNG
In the same boat, I was looking at Meindl USA boots they have a print out sizing guide. If I'm not mistaken the comfort fit hiker is what they use to sell at Cabelas that got great reviews. No experience with them but that was my best option. I've heard some horror stories about Crispi's lasting no time so that steered me away from them for the cost they should last a while. I believe you can send the Meindl's in and have them resoled as well once they wear out.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
In the same boat, I was looking at Meindl USA boots they have a print out sizing guide. If I'm not mistaken the comfort fit hiker is what they use to sell at Cabelas that got great reviews. No experience with them but that was my best option. I've heard some horror stories about Crispi's lasting no time so that steered me away from them for the cost they should last a while. I believe you can send the Meindl's in and have them resoled as well once they wear out.
I've tried a bunch of boots including Crispi but the meindl boots by far fit the best. I have the comfort hunters and the ultralight hunters but will get the hikers as soon as my hanwags wear out

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
A

AZ_Five56

FNG
To follow up...
I struck out at Sportsman's Warehouse. I was able to get my hands on the Crispi Nevada, which seemed like an excellent boot, but they didn't stock wide sizes. I spend a bunch of time at REI the other day trying on boots, and it was a very similar experience. They sell a variety of boots in wide, but they don't stock many in store. Of the wides available, they tended to be in what I would consider narrower brands, and none of them would cut it for me. I tried the Lowa Camino GTX... Very high quality boot, but it was a little to narrow even in wide. They offered Keen boots, but only standard width in store. The standard width Keen is as wide as most of the wides in other brands, so I'm confident that a wide Keen would do the trick, except that they don't offer anything like I was looking for in a boot.

I received some recommendations for Meindl, including here, but I couldn't find anywhere around me that stocked them. I figured out what size I would need in Mendl, and I lucked out that someone was selling a pair of ultralight hunters just down the road from me. They were insulated, which is not what I was looking for, but they fit great and they were only $60. Buying them seemed like a no brainer at that price. Especially since they were only worn once. I wore these 400g insulated boots around Phoenix with doubled up wool socks to get a feel for them before ordering a pair of uninsulated boots. Besides my feet being extremely hot, I have to say that these are some of the finest boots I have ever owned.

People say the Meindl run large, and their own website says to buy a full size down from what you typically would wear. I measure 11E, but I normally buy an 11.5 so I have a little space for my toes to not jam into the front of the boot as they say to do. With the doubled up socks (heavy wool w/ liners) a half size down worked well for me at size 11 wide in the Meindl boot. For the uninsulated pairs that I'm going to order, I'll be wearing a thinner sock, and I'm planning to order a 10.5 wide. I hope that size reference helps someone out.

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations!

Moserkr

WKR
I have owned a few pairs of crispis and some meindls. The meindls are significantly wider in both the foot-box and the sole. More comfortable than my cripsis for sure, but i still use crispis for the early seasons. When it dips below freezing ill pull out the insulated meindls. Next boot will be the non-insulated meindls over crispi.

I recently bought a pair of Crispi Colorado’s in wide. Just started breaking them in and they feel good so far. They’re non-insulated and waterproof. Picked them up at Black Ovis on sale for $100 off which puts them in your price range. Just need to throw some Lathrop & Sons insoles and they’ll be perfect for my feet.

N.ID7803

WKR
Check out Hoffman Boots. They have an un-insulated boot. If you call directly I bet they can work something up for you.

axeforce6

WKR
I have some zamberland lynx with the BOA system. I love them. I’ll pull out the cable as much as it’ll go and then I’ll pull the cable snug all the way up the boot then tighter the boa system. I get a perfect for with them. These are my second pair. My first pair I tore the seams on. My fault. I backed over them in my car forgetting I unpacked some stuff behind it. My complaint is I couldn’t get ahold of anyone for a repair. It was the height of Covid so I know that played a role. I had left several messages and emails to them. Not once did I get a returned call. This was over the span of about 4 months trying. I found someone in Utah to fix them but I decided to just get a new pair and chalk up the bad communication to Covid. I don’t believe otherwise I would have ever had to use any sort of warranty. Hope I don’t have to in the future. I just hope communication is better in the future.

Wags

WKR
I have owned a few pairs of crispis and some meindls. The meindls are significantly wider in both the foot-box and the sole. More comfortable than my cripsis for sure, but i still use crispis for the early seasons. When it dips below freezing ill pull out the insulated meindls. Next boot will be the non-insulated meindls over crispi.

I loved my Meindls but I had an issue with the soles crumbling apart after a few years. I loved the cork footbed and fit but they did not last.

I have a pair of Crispi Nevadas that were a little tight when I got them but after getting them wet and thoroughly breaking them in they fit great. They definitely require a different insole though IMO. The stock one sucks.

I am hoping they make the Laponia 2 in a Wide because I'd love to own those after handling them.