No coffee?

I personally don't drink coffee or do so very seldomly so I haven't had issues. Most people I know can cut it out for 10 days as long as they still get something in their system (gum usually in the morning to take their mind off things).

Working as a wildland firefighter getting my butt kicked and always seeming to be tired I go hard on coffee. Love drinking coffee and energy drinks. Caffeine is truly a drug and the addiction can be very strong. But so can love..and that doesn't stop people.

When out hunting or backpacking I drink coffee. Sometimes not as much when hunting cuz I mean business and don't have the time to enjoy a cup of brew in the am.

The Starbucks via are light and taste good

Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will drink the Starbucks Via as well. They are about as easy to prepare as it comes, and in a pinch you don't have to heat it if you just need the caffeine.

I wait to drink it until the morning glassing has slowed down.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like my coffee in the am and the Via is one of the easiest to use, Starbucks be darned.... I think its like cigarettes.. I need my fix and the ritual of a hot cup of joe in the morning is just something I really enjoy. What I need is a new camp coffee cup/mug. I had been using a 160z Nalgene bottle as my "mug."
What are you coffee lovers using for a mug?
I am thinking this cup..
http://www.rei.com/product/794090/sea-to-summit-delta-insulmug
At 4.4ozs it seems hard to beat.. Reviews are spotty, but if I get it at REI I can always return it...

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you coffee lovers using for a mug?
I am thinking this cup..
http://www.rei.com/product/794090/sea-to-summit-delta-insulmug
At 4.4ozs it seems hard to beat.. Reviews are spotty, but if I get it at REI I can always return it...

While I haven't used it personally, our hunting partner uses the STS mug you mention, and has been very happy with it. I always though the insulation and the lid would be handy features especially if you want to take a hot drink someplace to sit for awhile and glass. As I have mentioned elsewhere, REIs return policy makes trying gear out easy even if they don't always have the lowest prices.

We use snowpeak single walled titanium mugs, as they can heat water directly on a cook or camp stove. http://www.rei.com/product/807754/snow-peak-titanium-mug-with-hotlips

They weigh 3 oz, and that is for a 600ml cup (which is bigger than the sea to summit at 480ml). We have a single vented lid, and used to have the hot lips shields until a ground squirrel chewed them up....we haven't missed them much, as the top rim of the cup tends to stay cooler anyways assuming you don't fill it totally to the brim. I like the larger size while remaining lightweight, and while they don't insulate as well, I find this means they warm up your hand more if you wrap your hands around them while you drink. We don't typically take coffee away from the tent to glass, so it doesn't need the added insulation.

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
Is anyone using powdered workout supplements instead of coffee im tempted to take a bag of supplements rather than java. Should be a good boost and has some vitamins you can burn while hiking.

I quit drinking coffee when I was trying to shoot better at Camp Perry and have quit on several other occasions. THE best way for me is to ween myself over a couple of weeks to prevent a week long migraine. I like all coffee except Maxwell House. Mite as well lick someones ass if you drink that. I have always used the bags from Folgers and liked it. I tried Via and loved it, especially with some hazelnut fufu in it. Mmmm!

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutly not.

It's "worth the weight". Hell I'd leave behind one bar for the amount of those Via packets I could bring.

:) "It looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine." I wasn't ranked high enough to rate an opinion on coffee. However, I was a professional complainer. If a Marine isn't bitching, you had better watch your back!

My boss drinks it and asks if I want some and I am like, "I'm good."

2rocky

WKR
VIA coffee is quick and tasty. So was the Folgers bags. If I can't wake up the 15 minutes earlier to heat some water for it then I shouldn't be out hunting.

The way I see it, cutting out coffee is like cutting out socks in your boots. Might save weight but life is a lot better with 'em!.

reedjj

FNG
The folgers singles are great. They weigh very little and taste pretty good. I use them at home when I dont feel like making a pot of coffee. All you need is boiling water and drop them in.

trkyslr

WKR
Coffee really helps me get instantly alert and helps to drop a douce first thing in the morning, then in ready to conquer all! Yaya maybe tmi but it's the truth. I don't want to be in on elk when a grumbly hits me. Need to be 100% focused!

I have found that coffee makes me more productive at work, at least that is what my co-workers tell me.