NL 12x42 experience?

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for hands on experience with the NL pure 12x42’s. Are they really that tough to hand hold? I just started using binos off a tripod in the last year, and am a huge fan. But I still glass handholding quite a bit. Are the 12’s the binos for me? Or should I get the 10’s? The closest place to go see for myself is about 70 miles away and I hate going there. Can’t tell that much just from the store anyways. Thanks!

warrbuk

WKR
The 12x's are amazing but jiggly if you try to one hand them while having a bow or rifle in the other hand. My hunting partner went 12X and I stuck with the 10X NL's.

hunt1up

WKR
I used my 12s constantly for a week long Aoudad hunt, both on tripod and freehand. They aren't BAD to hand hold, but the forehead rest makes all the difference. With that attached they are just fine and much like my previous EL and SLC 10s for steadiness. The mount is quick detach but I leave mine attached in my Marsupial case. It fits fine.

BBob

WKR
I don't have any issues hand holding them but I've seen others say the rest helps them. I borrowed a rest and it might have been better but it wasn't big for me so I haven't bought one. I only have the 12's for when I'm not carrying my 15's as my primary large glassing optic.

JakeSCH

WKR
I had both 10x and 12x, when I am calm there is not much of a difference with the FRP (I kept 12x). However, when my heart starts pounding out of my chest I use my trekking pole to stabilize.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
So would you guys with experience talk me into, or out of, the 12’s? 85% of my “locating”elk and deer takes place between about 600 yards and 2 miles.

BBob

WKR
I wish I could answer your question but I still don't know enough about how and where you are hunting to really give an opinion on 10's or 12's.

10's on a tripod can still do really well and I still prefer them as an all around glass over the 12's. 12's to me are a compromise.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I live and hunt in the rolling hills/mountains of montana primarily. This year however I’ll be going to the plains of southern wyoming and later archery coues/ javelina hunting in arizona

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
12 NLs have FOV of 10x EL. If your elk are 600 yards to 2 miles away you have time to get more stable that one hand hold…

They are amazing. I do have the head rest as I always want to be as steady as I can.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I live and hunt in the rolling hills/mountains of montana primarily. This year however I’ll be going to the plains of southern wyoming and later archery coues/ javelina hunting in arizona
If you don't have 15's and don't have plans for those I'd say NL12's given you want to come down here and chase Coues and pigs. They'll be great for glassing elk.

I ran the 12x exclusively last year and did a lot of hand holding. As long as I could sit down it wasn't too bad but they were obviously much better when I could put them on a tripod or rest them over my trekking poles.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
So here is a question I should probably ask. What are guys calling hard to “hand hold” or “glass offhand”? As in, are they trying to count points/inches? Or identify an animal? I can almost always tell if I want to pursue/ shoot an animal based on the the frame. I score most the animals I shoot, but I don’t chase a number. Just looking to shoot good/ decent critters. Do you guys think you are spotting animals with the 12’s you wouldn’t with the 10’s? Or the other way around? Do you think you can count points noticeably better with the 12’s?

FlyGuy

WKR
So would you guys with experience talk me into, or out of, the 12’s? 85% of my “locating”elk and deer takes place between about 600 yards and 2 miles.

I would go with the 12’s + forehead rest. I sold SLC 10x and Meopro 15’s and I’ll never look back.

The 12’s Weren’t bad freehand, but with the addition of the forehead rest they seem to sit every bit as steady as my 10x or 8x (w/o a headrest).

I hung onto a set of 8x32 EL for archery elk hunts or anything that’s sub 100 yard visibility in thick timber.

I personally think the 10x is a do-it-all bino that comes with lots of trade offs (good for everything, but not the best at anything).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: WRO
OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with the 12’s + forehead rest. I sold SLC 10x and Meopro 15’s and I’ll never look back.

The 12’s Weren’t bad freehand, but with the addition of the forehead rest they seem to sit every bit as steady as my 10x or 8x (w/o a headrest).

I hung onto a set of 8x32 EL for archery elk hunts or anything that’s sub 100 yard visibility in thick timber.

I personally think the 10x is a do-it-all bino that comes with lots of trade offs (good for everything, but not the best at anything).

In my style of mindset/ style of hunting, if I am 100 yards in thick timber, I have already committed to shooting that bull. However this is the exact reason I don’t want the el ranges. Sub 200 yards, I can tell with my Leica 8x rangefinder if that’s the target animal or not. At least that’s how I feel right now. Maybe I should’ve included that in the details

FlyGuy

WKR
In my style of mindset/ style of hunting, if I am 100 yards in thick timber, I have already committed to shooting that bull. However this is the exact reason I don’t want the el ranges. Sub 200 yards, I can tell with my Leica 8x rangefinder if that’s the target animal or not. At least that’s how I feel right now. Maybe I should’ve included that in the details

Yeah I know what you mean.

I live near Houston, so typical white tail hunts are all very short yardage shots b/c it’s too thick and too flat to ever see more than 150-200 yards in any direction. I find a lot of my archery elk hunts end up the same way. The 12x wouldn’t be ideal for that type of scenario (and 10x aren’t really ideal either), but the 12x NL would work just fine if that’s all you had. It’s Hard to notice much freehand shake at that close of range; and with the ridiculous amount of FOV on the NL’s; its not really a handicap at all for close range work. My experience is limited, I’ve only been able to use them on one hunt so far - a West TX turkey/pig hunt, but I was beyond impressed with them. My biggest concerns were - 1) can I freehand them good enough that I’m not frustrated, 2) will they be too much power for really close work…. After 4 days of use those were no longer concerns for me.

Honestly, If I didn’t already own the 8x32 EL’s then I’d just use my 12x42 for everything. But, They were my first alpha glass purchase and I love them for short range work. The biggest advantage is that they are lighter, very easy to freehand (even one handed) and they slip in and out of my bino harness with very little effort or movement. In the grand scheme of things, Those aren’t huge differences, but it makes them slightly better suited for those types of hunts than the 12x. Conversely, I took them on a Barbary sheep hunt once and very quickly I realized that I was underpowered.

For more glassing intensive hunts like you specified, I was relying heavily on my 15x binos for locating game (which they excelled at, btw), but I couldn’t freehand them for shit. So, They rode in my pack and I carried 10x SLC on my chest. Since the 15’s weren’t great beyond that 2 mile mark, I also packed a Kowa 77 spotting scope. That was a great triple combo for glassing, but Damn it was heavy. The 12x NL was a great compromise between carrying 2 sets of binos and allowed me to drop several lbs without sacrificing any FOV and very little power.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I know what you mean.

I live near Houston, so typical white tail hunts are all very short yardage shots b/c it’s too thick and too flat to ever see more than 150-200 yards in any direction. I find a lot of my archery elk hunts end up the same way. The 12x wouldn’t be ideal for that type of scenario (and 10x aren’t really ideal either), but the 12x NL would work just fine if that’s all you had. It’s Hard to notice much freehand shake at that close of range; and with the ridiculous amount of FOV on the NL’s; its not really a handicap at all for close range work. My experience is limited, I’ve only been able to use them on one hunt so far - a West TX turkey/pig hunt, but I was beyond impressed with them. My biggest concerns were - 1) can I freehand them good enough that I’m not frustrated, 2) will they be too much power for really close work…. After 4 days of use those were no longer concerns for me.

Honestly, If I didn’t already own the 8x32 EL’s then I’d just use my 12x42 for everything. But, They were my first alpha glass purchase and I love them for short range work. The biggest advantage is that they are lighter, very easy to freehand (even one handed) and they slip in and out of my bino harness with very little effort or movement. In the grand scheme of things, Those aren’t huge differences, but it makes them slightly better suited for those types of hunts than the 12x. Conversely, I took them on a Barbary sheep hunt once and very quickly I realized that I was underpowered.

For more glassing intensive hunts like you specified, I was relying heavily on my 15x binos for locating game (which they excelled at, btw), but I couldn’t freehand them for shit. So, They rode in my pack and I carried 10x SLC on my chest. Since the 15’s weren’t great beyond that 2 mile mark, I also packed a Kowa 77 spotting scope. That was a great triple combo for glassing, but Damn it was heavy. The 12x NL was a great compromise between carrying 2 sets of binos and allowed me to drop several lbs without sacrificing any FOV and very little power.

I currently have 10x42 Slc’s, the first alpha glass I’ve ever get owned. I but I hunt elk deer, bear, coyote, sheds, and just about any western animal you can think of. Approximately 2 -3 months of the year I’m not using binos most of the time. I think I use them more than most people. I’ve used 10’a all my life. However people seem to be selling 12’s for 10’s. Are these easterners? Or are they actually hard to hold off hand?

i have noticed it is much easier to hold them steady after you get used to it. I go between my maven 8x30s for timber/thick stuff, and use the nl 12s for anything else. Sometimes when I grab the 12s I do feel the shakiness off hand, but your body will adapt and steady them better after a little bit of use. They are about the same as holding a 10x steady; I do not use the forehead rest. I do typically grab the brim of my hat with a few fingers while holding the binos. to steady them if I am taking more than a quick peek hand holding. Off a tripod, they are amazing. I’d say if you have no problem free handing 10s, the NL 12s will not be an issue. And you will appreciate the extra magnification with no decrease in FOV compared to 10s.

FlyGuy

WKR
i have noticed it is much easier to hold them steady after you get used to it. I go between my maven 8x30s for timber/thick stuff, and use the nl 12s for anything else. Sometimes when I grab the 12s I do feel the shakiness off hand, but your body will adapt and steady them better after a little bit of use. They are about the same as holding a 10x steady; I do not use the forehead rest. I do typically grab the brim of my hat with a few fingers while holding the binos. to steady them if I am taking more than a quick peek hand holding. Off a tripod, they are amazing. I’d say if you have no problem free handing 10s, the NL 12s will not be an issue. And you will appreciate the extra magnification with no decrease in FOV compared to 10s.

I would agree with your assessment. Freehanding wasn’t bad, in fact it was way better than I expected it to be and about the same shakiness as my 10x SLC.

But I’ll add that, for me, the forehead rest really made a difference in steadiness. Maybe you could achieve the same level of steadiness by resting the binos on your cam (as I often do), but it was noticeable.