Nikon

merch

FNG
Anyone have any input on a Nikon spotting scope EDIII. Currently one of the big three is not an option. Is the 60mm objective suitable to take advantage of the 20 to 60 zoom? Durability is a concern as this is primarily advertised as a birdwatching scope. Optically I don't believe there will be an issue as Nikon camera lenses are top shelf. I was looking at the ed50 for the size, but my binoculars with a doubler I think would get used more. I have packed 14 to 45x in the past, the extra zoom to 60 would be nice if usable in a smaller 60 objective package. Trying to avoid going to an 80 because of the size. Thanks.

I actually just got done comparing a few scopes and the EDIII and ED82 were on the list. Overall the Nikon fieldscopes are very good. As far as durability goes they are very well built, have tight tolerances, and both are really compact. Really the only issues I had with them is the eyepieces are a little short on eye relief and the camera adapters are Nikon oriented. The ED III was really comparable to the Vortex Razor HD 65. I would give the Razor the edge in clarity by a slight margin though. The 60X in a 60mm scope is a bit dim, but still usable. The prices on them seem to be coming down also. Cabelas had the straight ED III on clearance for $499 not that long ago.

huntinrod

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is for sale on this forum if you search my username. I will take $600 for it.