Nikon scope durability

My scope budget for my new 30-06 Tikka is $200-ish. I'm wanting to make this rifle a general purpose deer/elk rifle, so I've figured 3-9 power is probably the way to go, although I've considered fixed power scopes as well as 2-7's. I checked out the VX-Freedom at Cabela's and liked it just fine - it reminds me of my VX-1 scopes and apparently has better glass.

Even though I went to the store to look at Leupolds, I was impressed by the Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10 scope. The Prostaff 5 is the next step up from the normal Prostaff scopes. I'm not a great judge of glass, but what I really liked about it was a consistent eye relief - not as much as my VX-1's on low power but more on high. I hardly had to move my head as I upped the magnification. Mounting my VX-1 was frustrating because eye relief varies so much from low to high, so this feature is really appealing to me. Without knowing how the glass compares to a VX-Freedom (I'm guessing it's inferior on the Nikon), the big disadvantage seems to be an extra 4 ounces or so of weight.

I figure that no $200 variable power scope is bombproof, but I would like a scope that's tough. In your experience, how do Nikons hold up to the wear and tear and occasional abuse that comes with hunting? And if anyone has used the Prostaff 5 scopes, what did you think?

I have that exact scope on my muzzleloder and I really like it. It has good eye relief and I really like being able to have it at 2.5 power. I can't really speak to the durability of it because I got it last fall but it hit dead on when it needed to. You can also get refurbs on ebay or natchez for $150 or so. I also found a refurbished monarch 3 2.5-10 on natchez for $200 if you're interested. https://outdoors.natchezss.com/sear...CPYYN&cnt=64&method=and&isort=price&view=grid

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ll offer my advice, it’s not what you asked, but I’m trying to help you spend your money and get the best value for the dollar. The SWFA 6x milquad is going to be LIGHTYEARS ahead of any scope you mentioned. In fact, it’d be ideal for your rifle. Generous eye relief, holds zero, dials precisely, returns to zero, functional retical and is rugged as they come. When on sale, which happens periodically, they’re about $50 more than your price point and well worth it. If you must have a variable, the SWFA 3-9 milquad is more than double your budget, but in my opinion you don’t need the variable on an ‘06.
Do your due diligence and don’t be in a rush to make a bad decision.

Do you know if the refurbished scopes are covered under Nikon’s warranty?
I'm not 100% sure. I think I saw somewhere that it's a 90 day warranty but it wouldn't shock me if they would stand behind it if something happened down the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ll offer my advice, it’s not what you asked, but I’m trying to help you spend your money and get the best value for the dollar. The SWFA 6x milquad is going to be LIGHTYEARS ahead of any scope you mentioned. In fact, it’d be ideal for your rifle. Generous eye relief, holds zero, dials precisely, returns to zero, functional retical and is rugged as they come. When on sale, which happens periodically, they’re about $50 more than your price point and well worth it. If you must have a variable, the SWFA 3-9 milquad is more than double your budget, but in my opinion you don’t need the variable on an ‘06.
Do your due diligence and don’t be in a rush to make a bad decision.

I’m seeing this advice pop up in a lot of places these days. When I hunted elk in Colorado I usually had my variable set to 6x, but I like the idea of dialing down to 2.5 or 3 for the woods. I know a scope can make or break a hunt, but I got a tikka because I wanted a light rifle - I’m not sure how I’d feel putting a 20 ounce scope on it. I also wonder if the turrets would be wasted on me, since I’m a set it and leave it kind of guy.

I have considered it though - I saw one being sold for like $225 earlier today.

I was really wondering about comparative durability- does a 16 ounce Nikon have a durability advantage over a lighter Leupold? Does more weight tend to mean greater durability?

I also have a Tikka and mine wears a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 that I like just fine. I routinely buy Leupold VX-1's and the new VX freedoms for my rifles, and have pretty much looked at them all, from Athlon to Zeiss and everything in-between. When you compare all the features, including price, WEIGHT (an area where the Leupold and Weaver scopes shine), clarity, field of view, reticles, etc., the Leupolds usually win. I love the large eyebox and long eye relief that Leupolds provide.

Having said that, the Nikon you mention is a good solid scope. And it would be a good choice. However Nikons are usually 3-4 oz. heavier than their Leupold counterparts. The other thing I don't care for about Nikons (I have one for sale in the classifieds as I type this) is the "tunnel" view appearance, or heavy black ring around the objective when looking through it. Other scopes, like the Leupold, make the objective seem to disappear and offer a more pleasing view that appears wider to me.

As for rings, I've gone the talley route on my Tikka, but eventually went back to the factory Tikka rings and have had zero issues since I mounted my Leupold. I put a 2nd stop pin in the rear ring (not that it needs it, but I'm just anal like that) and those rings seem rock solid to me.

I built custom rifles for years and doing so ended up with a lot of different optics. I would say that nikon rifle scopes would be my last choice for a durable scope.

The swfa advice is sound and an overlooked scope is the Bushnell 4200, which has been re named into just elite iirc. I've used those 4200 scopes on some lightweight rigs that scrambled scopes and they took it.

If you don't HAVE to have a variable, you'll find the swfa to be optically better and indestructible....and I'd use one in a blink. The clarity will make it capable of zeroing in on a coyote to 6-700 easy enough.

Having said that, the Nikon you mention is a good solid scope. And it would be a good choice. However Nikons are usually 3-4 oz. heavier than their Leupold counterparts. The other thing I don't care for about Nikons (I have one for sale in the classifieds as I type this) is the "tunnel" view appearance, or heavy black ring around the objective when looking through it. Other scopes, like the Leupold, make the objective seem to disappear and offer a more pleasing view that appears wider to me.

I noticed the tunnel view when I looked through the scope. It made me wonder if that was a sign of lower quality or just thing that Nikon does. It didn't exactly bug me, but my VX-1's definitely don't do that. I'm thinking I'll just get another VX-1 or a VX-Freedom. I was just thinking it might be fun to get something different, and the long, constant eye relief of the Nikons stood out as a nice feature.

Yea, in your price range, it's really, really tough to beat those Leupold VX1/freedoms. I'm not sure anything can. Of course, that's not going to stop folks from telling you if you don't send 2x that much, all you're buying is junk. LOL

The other thing about the Nikons is that BDC reticle with the circles instead of hash marks. I love them on the range. In the field however, I hate them as they cover up too much of my intended target. So I'm a hash guy anymore, if anything other than a standard duplex. There is still a lot to be said for a traditional duplex reticle zeroed at 200 yards, which is what I've returned to after a lot of trial and error with various ballistic reticles.

If you can save up a bit more money before grabbing a scope I think you'd be happier... But nothing saying you can't play musical chairs and upgrade over time if that's all that'll fit the budget for now.

Yea, in your price range, it's really, really tough to beat those Leupold VX1/freedoms. I'm not sure anything can. Of course, that's not going to stop folks from telling you if you don't send 2x that much, all you're buying is junk. LOL

I think it's really interesting that word on the street is that the VX-1 was an upgrade from the VX-I (with the roman numeral) and equivalent to the VX-II. Now the VX-Freedom is supposedly close to the VX-2. At that rate, other scopes in the same price range like the Redfield Revolution, Burris Fullfield, and Nikon Prostaff are quickly being left in the dust. That is, if the hype from Leupold is true.

One other scope I can recommend you look at is the Burris Fullfield II. They have a strong following, for good reason, and the ballistic reticle is probably the best I've tried so far. My Tikka wore one until a good friend talked me out of it, and I came across a rare silver VX-1. This was after I had decided to go back to the standard duplex reticle. He had seen what that Tikka/Burris combination was capable of, and now he's going to put it on his own Tikka build.

Most folks who have owned Burris Fullfield II's speak very fondly of them. Next to the VX-1, I'd list them as a close 2nd for best buy under $200

We all understand budgets. I've done what you are doing and have spent more money buying and replacing stuff.

We all understand budgets. I've done what you are doing and have spent more money buying and replacing stuff.

How much do you think a person needs to spend to get a good enough scope? What do I lose by buying something like a VX-Freedom as opposed to something more expensive? For someone like me, who is hunting elk and deer with a 30-06 at ranges of 300ish yards, I kinda thought I could get something good in this price range. But I am willing to spend more if I have to.

Last edited:
This is all personal preference kind of stuff. You are doing well by researching.

IMO - you need to take a trip to Bass Pro, Cabelas, or wherever they have a good display of diff scopes and start off by looking thru scopes. You seem to like the Freedom, so look thru that first, then start comparing - Bushnell 4200 is a nice scope, Burris Fullfield is also, Vortex Diamondback, Nikons, etc. See how you feel about them in the store - outside would be a little diff but we do what we can. Look thru the scopes that they have up to about $500 and see how you feel about the glass. Do not look thru Swaro, Zeiss, high end Leupolds, etc. You should only look thru what you are willing to spend.

Look thru them and focus it. Some are brighter, others show a whitish tinge, others seem muted, some will give better depth of view, some just make the world "pop" into focus.

Compare the reticles too - do you think you could see that in the near dark? Those fancy faint hatch marks might leave you wanting at legal shooting time on a cloudy opening day when there is a bull elk 300 yards below you as a smudge. I been there with deer - except with a scope where I could see them in the low light.

Then turn the adjustment screws forward and back a few times. Some are mushy & move easily, others are crisp and seem to lock in. I'm not talking about a scope that you dial for range - this is a set & forget scope I'm talking about. If I was going to get a dialing scope, it would be time to look at who has the most reliable repeatability and then look at the glass and see if I like it compared to my other options.

If possible compare the eye box details. The larger the eye box, the easier it will be use and get an animal in the crosshairs.

You may be concerned with overall size & weight - if so, include that in your comparisons.

Ditto for variable power range or fixed power setting.

Then take a walk - discuss the scopes with a buddy or your girl - Which one does your mind keep going back to? What makes you happiest? Then either buy it or start shopping around for one at a discount.

Guess I like to make a process out of it.

With me the wow point is the VX-3i. I currently own a VX-3i, VX-2, Vortex Viper, Redfield Illuminator (got it for about $500 in 1990 and is still better in low light than the current lines of Vipers), and a Leica ER. If they all were the VX-3i I'd be perfectly content cause my eyes like that glass the best.

ALSO - get some quality mounts and rings.

Sorry for long winded slanted approach. Be wary of reviews - anyone who says a $200 scope is equivalent to a Swaro/Zeiss/Leica/etc. has never looked thru one of the top tier versions... Other folks are slanted - just like me.

I did all this stuff with binoculars in 2017 for an antelope hunt - looked thru about 15 brands & models found 2 or 3 that I liked and 1 was more comfortable to look thru - Leupold Mohave at the time - turned out that the Cabelas Guide Version was them and Leupold was switching to HD that year - got the Cabelas version new in box for $200 as opposed to spending $550 on the soon-to-be discontinued Mohaves - work great, I'm happy with the glass, and can even see the moons around Jupiter with them. Don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

Best wishes in your search.

Awhile back I got 4 Nikon monarch 3 1-4 scopes for a few big kickers I had in the safe, a 375HH, 375ruger and a 338wm, all of these are sort of camp guns and see some use moose hunting as loaners and boat guns. All of them have been banged around and shot quite a lot, I’d say I have 500 rounds through the 375HH alone and as much or more through the other rifles. All of the scopes stayed zeroed and haven't needed any adjustment since they were sighted in. I actually think those monarch 3 1-4 with the german#4 reticle are some of the Best Buy’s out there for dangerous game type rifles for the $$$.

As far as leupold, I do t have any experience with the freedom but I’ve had a lot of vx1, vx2 and vx3i and a vx5hd scope and never had a single issue, in fact I try to scoop up NIB vx2 3-9s every time they pop up and keep them around for builds (just got one here the other day).

There’s nothing wrong with the SWFA scopes everybody is clamoring over, they are fine pieces of equipment and I’ve got a few of them but most of the time I want a basic set and forget scope as most of my shots while hunting here in AK are under 300yds and usually under 200, I just don’t see the need to have heavier scopes with dials when I can have my 30-06 zeroed in at 100 and just get it done. The last moose I shot was like 120yds and my last sheep was 204yds. Why dial for those shots???

Anyways I’d keep an eye out for a solid 3-9, maybe a vx2, there’s a Zeiss conquest in the classifieds for 300 bucks and the Meopta Artemis are half price right now from camera land for 300 bucks. If I was buying a current leupold, I’d probably skip right to the vx3i, I love my 2.5-8x36.

How much do you think a person needs to spend to get a good enough scope? What do I lose by buying something like a VX-Freedom as opposed to something more expensive? For someone like me, who is hunting elk and deer with a 30-06 at ranges of 300ish yards, I kinda thought I could get something good in this price range. But I am willing to spend more if I have to.

Don't let yourself get talked into spending more than you can afford on a scope. There will always be "that guy" who insists that your scope should cost "at least as much as your rifle" and I call bs on that. I've killed more critters with $40 Simmons scopes than I can count. Most of the locals you see in the mountains are not using $400+ scopes. I'd venture to say probably 90% of elk have been killed with sub-$100 scopes (or open sights) actually. These forums can make a person believe that it's not even worth going hunting if you don't have the most expensive gear made. That's just baloney.

A good Leupold VX-1 will get the job done for 95+% of hunting situations. My Tikka now wears a Weaver K6 and I love it. Light, simple, durable, idiot-proof and inexpensive. Guys have been killing critters with K4's and K6's since before I was born.

We can let ourselves get so paralyzed by reading about what others are willing to spend on their gear that it seems pointless to go out with what we have. That's just crazy.

Fact is, a $100 scope today is better than a $300 scope from 20 years ago. Put an old Leupold Vari-X ii up against any VX-1 or VX-Freedom scope made today and you'll see what I mean. Weaver's K6 from today weighs less than 10 oz. and the image is remarkable. I have no problem shooting sub-MOA groups at 300 yards with mine even in fading light. Keep it simple and have fun. Remember, guys were killing elk, moose and bear with open sight blackpowder rifles hundreds of years ago. We can spend ourselves silly if we aren't careful.

Back